Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can we make this thread come alive again please??! I love houseplants and have somehow kept (most) of mine alive (RIP Fern). A thread on houseplants is so wholesome!!

Cannot seem to get the hang caring for the Chinese money plant!!! Third one I’ve owned and it keeps dying on me 😭

Reactions: 8
I love plants. Try not to get too carried away though so it's only one or two at a time.

I give them names and love watching them grow.

I always water from the bottom and only once a week.

I would want a rubber plant next.

This would be me:

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I love plants. Try not to get too carried away though so it's only one or two at a time.

I give them names and love watching them grow.

I always water from the bottom and only once a week.

I would want a rubber plant next.

This would be me:

I always bottom water my plants! I learnt that the hard way after killing the majority of my plants due to overwatering when I started becoming interested in them during covid 🤣
I popped my plants inside the bath with a bit of water overnight a couple of nights ago and they look super happy atm!

Does anyone speak to their plants?! Always interested in whether that actually works! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I always bottom water my plants! I learnt that the hard way after killing the majority of my plants due to overwatering when I started becoming interested in them during covid 🤣
I popped my plants inside the bath with a bit of water overnight a couple of nights ago and they look super happy atm!

Does anyone speak to their plants?! Always interested in whether that actually works! 🤣
Not specifically music for my plant, but mine gets lots of second hand Les Miserables and the phantom of the opera. Must be good for it's self esteem. 🤪

"You are lovely gentle and good."

"A heart full of love"

I tell mine it's beautiful when I water it. It's a jade plant.

Play this for yours and see the difference:

I would also want a prayer plant too.

1672693468694.png

When I leave my current rental I will the give the plant to the landlord to look after.

I fancy getting a chilli plant, one of those ones with multicoloured chillies.
My mother grew hers from seeds. Bloom & Wild also sell them delivered but not multicoloured.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Glad I've found this thread as I've been interested in house plants since living in a flat. I bought one spider plant from B&Q back in 2014 and it's still looking healthy and has had many babies which were propagated and potted and I now have 7 spider plants.
I got a tiny cutting of my Gran's rubber plant 3 years ago which I rooted in water then potted and it grows new leaves every Spring and Summer.
I started getting into succulents this year and so far have an aloe vera and a couple of moonstone succulents which seem to have continued to grow over the Winter so I'm looking forward to seeing how big these grow to this year.

My mother has a snake plant, aloe vera ,and propagations from my aunts money tree in her bedroom. Then there's a baby lemon plant and an orchid in the kitchen.

The greenhouse is mainly just tomatoes and chilli plants.

We have roses the garden mainly with a fig and a apple tree. Our garden is like a scene from Lord of the flies- it's survival of the fittest so we don't remove weeds and let them grow. So we get lots of wild birds. Wood pigeons and urban foxes even in London.

Reactions: 4
I have an air plant, a succulent and a Chinese money plant. I'm not the best at keeping them alive but I do talk to them and they have names 😂 in lockdown I grew peppers and tomatoes and it was amazing watching them grow.

Glad I've found this thread as I've been interested in house plants since living in a flat. I bought one spider plant from B&Q back in 2014 and it's still looking healthy and has had many babies which were propagated and potted and I now have 7 spider plants.
I got a tiny cutting of my Gran's rubber plant 3 years ago which I rooted in water then potted and it grows new leaves every Spring and Summer.
I started getting into succulents this year and so far have an aloe vera and a couple of moonstone succulents which seem to have continued to grow over the Winter so I'm looking forward to seeing how big these grow to this year.
I love B&Q for plants. Our B&Q have a fairly decent sized plant section, I bought this monstera from there back in the summer for £10 which I thought was a very good deal for the size (I did have to prune a fair few leaves off as they weren’t looking very happy) but it’s thriving!

I had a spider plant from there too. It seemed to just survive rather than thrive as it never grew, just lived! I had to replace it a few weeks ago as my boyfriend drunkenly knocked it over and it wasn’t very happy after that 🙄

I have an air plant, a succulent and a Chinese money plant. I'm not the best at keeping them alive but I do talk to them and they have names 😂 in lockdown I grew peppers and tomatoes and it was amazing watching them grow.
How do you care for your Chinese money plant??? All the ones I’ve owned haven’t lasted more than a month as I’ve killed them, I don’t know WHAT I’m doing wrong! 😂

Attachments

I just water it when I remember 🙈 and it's in the window so it gets plenty of light. If some of the leaves look brown and crispy I remove them and water it but that's about it 😂

Reactions: 1
I just water it when I remember 🙈 and it's in the window so it gets plenty of light. If some of the leaves look brown and crispy I remove them and water it but that's about it 😂
I’ve tried that. I’ve had them on the window, and further away from the window, I’ve watered them often and I’ve not watered them often, I’ve removed the brown and crispy leaves and that just seemed to make them more angry… I think I just have to accept the fact the problem is me!! I’m down to my last one now that has a total of three leaves (i bought it when it was really bushy) I think after this one I’m just going to accept my fate! Haha

Reactions: 2
I’ve tried that. I’ve had them on the window, and further away from the window, I’ve watered them often and I’ve not watered them often, I’ve removed the brown and crispy leaves and that just seemed to make them more angry… I think I just have to accept the fact the problem is me!! I’m down to my last one now that has a total of three leaves (i bought it when it was really bushy) I think after this one I’m just going to accept my fate! Haha
I just googled it and I may have a different species to yours 🙈 mine is the Crassula Ovata plant.

I love plants. Particularly alocasia.

The Dobbies rescue shelf is great for getting cut price rehab plants. I get a lot of my alocasia from there and harvest the corms for baby plants or selling on to fund more plants.

• Heart
My baby - he's called Cheesus. Bought him for £5.99 lidl 2 years ago. He's going to need his own room if he grows any more 🤭
Screenshot_20230102_221304_Instagram.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
I love houseplants. I used to kill them but have now managed to keep mine alive for a few years now. I give then all names too 😂😂 I love unusual ones, and think a house is so much better with real plants in. Wanting a massive plants but cannot justify paying £70 plus at this time.

Do what I did and plant some date pits. I have a huge date palm that's now about 15 years old and three younger ones coming up.

• Wow
I love plants. Particularly alocasia.

The Dobbies rescue shelf is great for getting cut price rehab plants. I get a lot of my alocasia from there and harvest the corms for baby plants or selling on to fund more plants.
Do you have any tips for alocasia? I’ve had 3 and only one is surviving but only barely! It’s always around this time of year when they start to look sad.. is it the cold weather? Overwatering? I am a terrible plant parent 😭

My baby - he's called Cheesus. Bought him for £5.99 lidl 2 years ago. He's going to need his own room if he grows any more 🤭View attachment 1849480
Wow he looks amazing! I bought a cheese plant from Aldi maybe 3-4 years ago and it looks nothing like this.. yours puts mine to shame! How do you look after it and help it grow so big and healthy?

I speak to them if they're looking particularly well :ROFLMAO: just a bit of admiration and showing them off. Why not? 😄

My maaaassive aloe and all of my younger aloes died after summer, all rotted. Must have been some kind of illness. A few other plants died off too 😞
Spiderettes are doing well, 21 babies, 2 mothers have been spawning them since spring/summer 🙂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Do you have any tips for alocasia? I’ve had 3 and only one is surviving but only barely! It’s always around this time of year when they start to look sad.. is it the cold weather? Overwatering? I am a terrible plant parent
I have no idea why I get along so well with alocasia. I have all mine on a fabrikor with grow lights just now because it's cold. They love the bathroom for the rest of the year. I turn it into a jungle. Usually a light water once a week.