Holly Gabrielle #5 Still lives like a nun, doesn't allow herself any fun

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am no psycologist, but maybe if her mum didn't hang around her like a bat, ready to tidy up every speck of dust that Holly produces, Holly would be a very different person

Reactions: 22
I'm feeling a bit hormonal so it could be that, but I did think the segment where she bought her Mum and advent calendar was really sweet

I don't understand how she's settled for such a mediocre existence after trying so hard and graduating from top universities in the world.

• Sad
Reactions: 36
I don't understand how she's settled for such a mediocre existence after trying so hard and graduating from top universities in the world.
I wonder what her parents think about having two daughters going to one of the world's best unis and then not using their degrees really at all? No shame for anyone working in anything non academic but it just seems like a lot of effort for no reason, especially as holly is so obsessed with academia

Reactions: 26
I wonder what her parents think about having two daughters going to one of the world's best unis and then not using their degrees really at all? No shame for anyone working in anything non academic but it just seems like a lot of effort for no reason, especially as holly is so obsessed with academia
I think that potentially says more about the parents though as we'll never really know whether Emily and/or Holly deep down wanted to go to Cambridge or whether their school/family etc. encouraged them to the point where they couldn't distinguish going to Cambridge from their actual dreams and goals.
It might just be me but I often struggle to identify what I actually want, as opposed to what society expects/idealises, and that's without pushy parents. To be honest, the more I watch, the more I feel sorry for Emily, Holly and Matthew for growing up in such a dysfunctional and emotionless family...

Reactions: 27
I think that potentially says more about the parents though as we'll never really know whether Emily and/or Holly deep down wanted to go to Cambridge or whether their school/family etc. encouraged them to the point where they couldn't distinguish going to Cambridge from their actual dreams and goals.
It might just be me but I often struggle to identify what I actually want, as opposed to what society expects/idealises, and that's without pushy parents. To be honest, the more I watch, the more I feel sorry for Emily, Holly and Matthew for growing up in such a dysfunctional and emotionless family...
Yes this, absolutely! And I've also often wondered why, exactly Holly was so keen to go to Cambridge. I mean, I remember some of the motivations she's cited in her old videos (while she was still at Cambridge) and it was stuff like:
- to become a doctor (which she didn't end up doing)
- because her sister went there and she always was really competitive with her sister so she wanted to get into Cambridge too (probably not the healthiest of motivations)
- to show people that you can study a really hard course and succeed while following a vegan diet
I'm sure there were more reasons but these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. I also think there's this sort of unspoken cultural assumption that going to Oxbridge is a great thing by definition so people's decisions don't really get questioned the way they would if they were going to a 'regular' university.

I'm also still not sure just why Holly chose to study biology/cell biology and cancer studies, seeing as she:
- has no intention to work in the field
- has no intention to get a PhD in the field
- has no intention to use her degrees to go to med school
- consistently goes on and on about how much she's interested in Nutrition, yet chose to get a Master's degree in a different field
- always sounded rather unenthusiastic when talking about her Master's imho

And seeing how her stated career goal now is to build up her Byhollyg channel to become the next David Attenborough, I can't help but think she would've been better served by a Master's in Science Communication or sth comparable.

I also wonder how much influence her parents had on her subject and university choices tbh. They sure don't seem like the type to just trust their kids to make the right decision for themselves, seeing how her mom literally doesn't even trust Holly to clean the counter herself after cooking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
I just watched the rest of her video. Its safe to say that nothing exciting happens. Holly gives her mother the advent calendar, then they decorate the christmas tree. Oh, and Holly will get her results on friday, so stay tuned for that ^^

Reactions: 2
I think Holly studying Nutrition would have just fueled her ED. Even her interest in the area might come from an ED perspective.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Haha one of my fave youtubers Bobby's Perspective has done a critique on Holly's protein vid- I'm going in 😅
he seems too biased.... ffs there are hundreds of vegan athletes and he looks at Holly and says ahhhh she's like this because she doesn't eat meat 111111!!111
no. it's because she's got issues dude.

holly complaining about getting injuries whilst finding new ways to injure herself!! and ofc her mum criticising her all the time

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I think Holly studying Nutrition would have just fueled her ED. Even her interest in the area might come from an ED perspective.

To me, it looked a lot like her interest in cancer biology was grounded in her undergraduate degree, whereas her interest in nutrition was grounded in her lifestyle. So in that regard, applying for the cancer biology degree seemed like a much better choice.

With her degrees and her social media experience (and the networks that come with both these things), Holly could probably get great internships. Like... she could afford to do unpaid internships even, maybe at a cool TV channel or magazine.

Her vlogs also tend to be quote lengthy, and it might be good to make shorter byhollyg videos. I think mRNA vaccines and antibodies were good topic-choices - OF COURSE people will appreciate videos on that. But just maybe... snappier. Shorter. Split into more sub-topics and shorter videos if necessary. If the video is 20 minutea long, what is to stop me from just putting on a proper documentary or watching a recorded lecture?

Reactions: 13
In her newest video, Holly promises us “an exciting announcement” and that she “took a fitness test”. Holly says, that she has decided to take her own fitness test.

1638474287928.png

Holly showing her advent gift: A pair of christmas socks.

Holly then does a warming up for her fitness test.

1638474307673.png

Try harder, Holly.

Round One: Running

Holly wanted to run 20 km/h, but the treadmill only goes to 16. Well, plan better next time, I guess?

Round Two: Strength

Holly wants to do sit-ups for two minutes to see how many she can do. She can do 53 sit-ups, by the way. I couldn’t care less, to be honest.
Then she does wall squat for five minutes. Hollys mother says right from the beginning, that she does not think Holly can do it.

1638474532228.png

Holly manages to do the five minutes wall squat, and yes, I have to admit, it feels good that Holly proved her mother wrong. Unfortunately, I know this kind of people, and they never change, even when they are being proven wrong multiple times.

Then Holly wants to see how many push-ups she can do in two minutes. At this point of the video, I am starting to question how much of this is thinspo. I mean, why would you upload something like this on the internet? It has no academic value, because Holly does not show the research she has done for the video.

She does not give any advice, either. Its also not like it has anything to do with Christmas (we remember, the video has the hashtags vlogmas and hollydays).
So naturally I just have to ask, what audience this video is for, what purpose does the video have?

Maybe I am too old for this.
Oh, and her exciting announcement? I do not really know to be honest. It has something to do with her marathon, seems like it is now official that she completed it?
And she got a present from Murdered abroad, something to put on her running shoes. Hopefully that was worth putting her health at risk.

Reactions: 16
Their workout room (which is also the dogs' room I think, or the other way around) looks so, so grim. It looks unfinished and just ... if you're a family that places so much importance on working out AND you've got the financial means why not build a nice workout room? I don't get it.

Reactions: 6
I'm sure her ED makes it worse
Yes 100% my ED gave me bad circulation issues which remain even though I'm at a healthy weight now. You don't realise at the time how much these things f*** up your body... Would not be at all surprised if Holly has a lot of health issues from being underweight for so long, perhaps some which she's not even aware of

Reactions: 5
New video. Holly's final results have come in and, no surprise, she got a distinction. I will never, EVER understand why she chooses to sit in her bedroom all day with an amazing degree like that. I know doing a PhD isn't for everyone but what is the point of doing a highly specialized research degree when you don't even want to go into research in the first place? What is the point of it all? Spending £ 15,000 on a master's degree so Holly can show off to a bunch of strangers on the internet and film herself doing self-designed fitness tests and tick one more box off of her to-do list? What a waste!

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I mean I got a distinction in my masters and now I work in retail, tbh she'd probably struggle to get a job as she doesn't have much real world experience.

Reactions: 18
New video. Holly's final results have come in and, no surprise, she got a distinction. I will never, EVER understand why she chooses to sit in her bedroom all day with an amazing degree like that. I know doing a PhD isn't for everyone but what is the point of doing a highly specialized research degree when you don't even want to go into research in the first place? What is the point of it all? Spending £ 15,000 on a master's degree so Holly can show off to a bunch of strangers on the internet and film herself doing self-designed fitness tests and tick one more box off of her to-do list? What a waste!
Did her mom at least pretend to be happy for this one?

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.