Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
This. It's not like she's financially struggling and having to make do with whatever job she has, hating it or not. She literally filmed herself walking around the campus, making boiled veggies and studying for her course. The income from youtube is so not proportionate to the effort they put in, at least for the vast majority of youtubers. If Holly hates it that much, she has a degree from Cambridge and she has her post-grad degree to fall back on. She has every freedom to stick to a normal profession and completely disappear from the internet, and she would do herself and everyone a favour tbh. The world doesn't need another thinspo influencer who is convinced they are doing god's work.
Yes this - I honestly still can't get over the fact that Holly has decided to live in her parents' house and do Youtube as a full-time job - after studying very hard to get into Cambridge, getting into Cambridge (aka one of the best universities in the world), putting a frankly insane amount of time and energy into her studies, graduating top of her class, applying for a competitive postgrad program in Cancer, studying very hard for a year, completing a research project, receiving her Master's degree from UCL - to then become a youtuber. What an anticlimactic career trajectory.

Plus I'd argue that you can become a youtuber/social media influencer without a university degree. And there are probably quite a few people who also applied for a spot on that UCL program and didn't get in - people who were probably really disappointed by that because they were intent on pursuing a career as a cancer researcher... And meanwhile, you have Holly who completed that degree with great grades and is now using her degree to... film herself talking about her body hair for a living. :/ (Sorry, I'm just salty today)

• Heart
Reactions: 44

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
Petition for Holly's parents to be less toxic to her like wtf? I had to stop watching the video because it made me feel so uncomfortable.

I mean - mistakes happen, everyone makes mistakes, and Holly did get on the right train in the end! It's not like her parents had to find her and bring her home or anything, she managed! Why on earth would you scold, mock, ridicule and berate your adult child for making a silly little mistake like this?! What is wrong with these people?? I found it especially gross how they kept doubting how Holly ever managed to survive on her own during her Australia travels, trying to cast doubt on the only period in Holly's life where she was away from her parents' influence.

And oh god I feel so bad for Holly who clearly feels the need to 'play along' by putting herself down, ranting about her mistake and engaging in this weird self-deprecating humor where she pretends that she is an idiot who is incapable of living on her own :/ These are not healthy family dynamics at all. No wonder Holly's self-esteem is shit. Who knows how much of this toxic shit is going on behind the scenes. And if Holly really reads here (idk if she does) then Hi Holly, please move out. You'll feel better in the long run, I promise.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

korma

What idiot only drinks water during a marathon, honestly!! They hand out Lucozade the whole way round the race which means she made a conscious decision to only stick to water. The ED'd thinking is so obvious.

And I agree, it's so irresponsible of her to add the "with an injury!!1" to the title of the vid - what a terrible example to set, and what a kick in the teeth to anyone who didn't match her time. Really just goes to show how ana/orthorexia are such horrible, competitive diseases.

Reactions: 38

Oatmeall

Holly talking about loving all the podcasts in her last video actually makes me so sad for her - she clearly loves all the 'girly chats' ones and calls them the taboo topics, but they're just normal things that best girl friends talk about literally all the time, and she doesn't know that because she doesn't have close friends.

• Sad
Reactions: 38

xoxoxo13

VIP Member
Her hair looks so much better than that awful bun, I hope she keeps up with keeping it curly, it looked really nice. I guess her mother could be counted upon to rain on her parade when Holly was so excited about the curl formation (I've done curly girl and the first time you see curls frame your face - it's so shocking in a good way). Her sister could just about squeeze out a compliment , "It'll get better the more you do it."
it's honestly kind of impressive that she's managed to accomplish so much despite her family. it's also sad because she probably feels a huge pressure to prove to herself that she can do something her family will be proud of, when they're all assholes and will never be proud of her in the way she wants them to.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

xoxoxo13

VIP Member
I don't understand how she's settled for such a mediocre existence after trying so hard and graduating from top universities in the world.

• Sad

Westeryonder21

And here's me getting up before sunrise everyday to go to an actual real job in the outside world, like the majority of people in the UK during the winter.
I swear influencers act like they are so special getting up at 5-6am everyday for the shits and giggles as if most people aren't forced to anyway just to pay the bills.

Magpie02

New video. Holly's final results have come in and, no surprise, she got a distinction. I will never, EVER understand why she chooses to sit in her bedroom all day with an amazing degree like that. I know doing a PhD isn't for everyone but what is the point of doing a highly specialized research degree when you don't even want to go into research in the first place? What is the point of it all? Spending £ 15,000 on a master's degree so Holly can show off to a bunch of strangers on the internet and film herself doing self-designed fitness tests and tick one more box off of her to-do list? What a waste!

• Heart
Reactions: 35

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
Another weird thing was how adamant Holly was about not wanting to do online dating because she'd prefer to meet a potential future boyfriend 'naturally', in real life. Like okay, if she's really not into online dating that's fine, not all people are. But maybe it couldn't hurt to at least try it once?

Especially since I really don't understand how on earth Holly is expecting to meet someone naturally when she's living like this... After all, she has just decided to pursue making science explanation videos on her second channel as her full-time job, meaning she now has a job that doesn't require her to leave her parents' house like, ever. She also isn't doing any other activities with other people outside of her parents' house (apart from very occasionally meeting up with a female friend in London). She sleeps in her childhood bedroom, goes on runs through the nearby fields, does workouts on her own in her bedroom, films videos in her bedroom, and cooks/eats by herself in her parents' kitchen. I fail to see how she's going to meet a man to date that way, unless it's a burglar. Or the postman maybe.

• Haha

scoobie

VIP Member
Why does this family give each other groceries as xmas presents? Brown rice, hoisin sauce, peanut butter, almond milk. What on earth 🥲

• Haha

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
Holly in her new video: "You know, in my videos it always looks like my family and me are such a great very happy family" - Me, staring at the screen in disbelief: "Uhm actually Holly, it really really doesn't look that way?"

This was part of her new video where she explained that there had been a big family fight (with raised voices and crying) in the morning which threw off her original plans for her Vlogmas video that day. Originally she wanted to film a video about food guilt but then she didn't because she had been crying and didn't want to do the video with a red blotchy face.

She said that the fight is over and everything is completely fine now, and that "yes, I love living at home", and that she "has a lot of independence living at home", and she is very grateful for her family, and that her viewers should not tell her when to move out because that is her decision alone. And I'm just. Idk it just feels bad watching this, it makes me really sad. And I know this is a gossip forum and everything but I don't even want to gossip or criticize Holly cause I just feel so bad for her. :/

And yes of course she should move out asap.

• Sad
  • Wow

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
Okay wow so Holly spilling a little bit of food on the kitchen counter or Holly eating something in her room = a big breech of family rules, absolutely unacceptable, time for her mom to crack down on that

Emily literally supporting Covid-denying conspiracy theorists and even apparently going to some sort of demonstration (?) in London with god knows what dodgy people = apparently no problem?

Like, I don't approve of the parents' controlling tendencies at all but one does wonder why those controlling tendencies apparently don't include talking some sense into Emily. (Then again I guess the whole family is not exactly famous for championing responsible health behavious or common sense - after all her parents encouraged Holly to run a fucking marathon on an injured foot) But basically I'm just super curious how the rest of the family thinks about Covid

• Haha
  • Heart
Her first and only video I watched was the Ruby Granger routine (because I follow Ruby). Holly said that she won't light a candle because she doesn't want to do it without "adult supervision", which is such a weird thing to say when you've already finished your studies. So I came here to say that lol

• Wow
  • Haha

bigreputation

Her family are so negative lol her hair actually looked really good and I’m sure if she keeps it up it’ll look even better. Bit of encouragement wouldn’t go amiss. No wonder her recovery is almost non existent 😫

• Heart

Fastgirl154

The whole paramedic/wheelchair thing is so wrong. It’s not normal to need a paramedic after running a race...collapsing and being out of breath etc. Sure that can happen, but needing serious medical attention?? Nah.

As someone part of the disabled community too - her whole i NeEdEd a whEeL cHaiR omG section is exploitative. Mobility aids aren’t a cool trendy thing for able bodied people to talk about like some unique and shocking experience. The way she titled that section ‘in a wheelchair!!! - not cool. Disabled folks get discriminated against for wheelchairs but when Holly needs it, it’s a sign of how much she pushed herself #wowhero and a fun clip with her sister laughing about it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 34

NotAnArtist

Proof that at least one of them is reading here - I said she lacked critical thinking skills yesterday 😅View attachment 929820
If Holly is the one reading here... I can't quite believe I'm saying this, but Emily is *not* the cool, down-to-earth, free-spirited dude. Nailing a cancer research MA during a pandemic is infinitely cooler and absolutely means that those family members who lack such a degree can be told to shut the up, sit down, and listen closely.

But also, for real... imagine wanting to go into science communication and sharing a home with the prime example of someone direly in need of decent science communication (actually, a lot of us can relate probably). Holly needs to move out and do her thing. A judgy, scrutinizing family that sets weirdly high expectations is one thing, having at least some of those people be conspiracy theorists makes it s much worse though.

Quick edit: The comment gives off low-key racist vibes, too. Because suuuuure, rich white Brits are definitely the petri dish of the world, it's not like white people have literally exploited people of color everywhere for their own medical pursuits. Give me a break.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 34

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
Holly's dad: *Knows that his daughter has suffered badly from an eating disorder for many years, to the point of getting serious health problems (no period for 7+ years), knows that his daughter has recently gotten better but probably still struggles with food and body image to some degree*
Holly's dad: *Sees his daughter making herself a nice healthy avocado toast for breakfast one morning*
Also Holly's dad: "Are you REally Going to EAT that??! Isn't it Weird to eat Avocado in the morning??"

🤦‍♀️I know we talk a lot about Holly's mom on here but omg what is wrong with this guy. How come every interaction he has with Holly is him being condescending/bitingly sarcastic/critical/belittling towards her?

But of course the real question is why Holly won't just move out already.. She is 23, she has two great degrees from world-class universities, she has her own business, probably lots of money from youtube etc, the pandemic is finally better, ... Like why not move out? Why not get some distance from that whole weird family dynamic?

Reactions: 33

lemonlime

VIP Member
Do you think part of the reason she didn't pull out or even toy with the idea is because of the backlash/ridicule she may have had from her family?
Her father wpuld probably drop another pearl of wisdom abputvthe importance of perseverance and how she's a wuss for dropping out. I can imagine her mum going "it doesn't seem that bad" as Holly writhes in pain while her sister vlogs the thing like a prank video. I swear her whole family consists of closeted sociopaths. She needs to get out.

Reactions: 33