Holly Gabrielle #5 Still lives like a nun, doesn't allow herself any fun

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New video. Holly's final results have come in and, no surprise, she got a distinction. I will never, EVER understand why she chooses to sit in her bedroom all day with an amazing degree like that. I know doing a PhD isn't for everyone but what is the point of doing a highly specialized research degree when you don't even want to go into research in the first place? What is the point of it all? Spending £ 15,000 on a master's degree so Holly can show off to a bunch of strangers on the internet and film herself doing self-designed fitness tests and tick one more box off of her to-do list? What a waste!
Yes this 100%! And especially since she spent the latter half of that results video ranting and raving about how much she enjoys biology research, how much she loved doing her research project, how great it was to learn about these topics at UCL, how she has a really intense passion for studying and researching biology, ...

And I'm just sitting here staring at my screen in disbelief like "well why don't you go into that field then if you love it so much, Holly?!" It just doesn't make any damn sense to me. It really doesn't.

Plus it's also kinda sad since she's clearly smart and talented and I feel like the world needs more cancer researchers more urgently than it needs more fitness influencers. But then again maybe that's just me being bitter. Good for Holly that she got such great results.

Did her mom at least pretend to be happy for this one?
Yeah she seemed quite happy (by her standards at least). Said "I expected that, well done Holly". Then there was a whole weird bit where Holly's mom didn't know what Holly's degree is called ("Is it like a BSc cancer? MA Cancer?" with Holly explaining that no, it is in fact a MSc) before Holly's mom somewhat abruptly left the room. xD

Reactions: 24
I feel like the world needs more cancer researchers more urgently than it needs more fitness influencers. But then again maybe that's just me being bitter.
That is not bitter at all. It (the bolded part) is just the truth, well put. I think you can justifiably question the value of some areas of academic research (say, for example, the clothes Victorian women wore while reading books 😉) but cancer would be difficult to place among them, and I’m going to go out on a limb here and assert that the really does not need any more fitness influencers at all. Especially not ones with active EDs.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
My mum is helping cancer researchers with her treatment journey (former nurse so meticulous notes) and yea they are needed to keep improving treatment options.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
couldn't agree more with some of the comments above, you've spent £15k on a Masters from a top university, you achieved the highest results in your year in Cambridge and you aren't doing anything with those degrees?! Blows my mind ... we so desperately need more top researchers in the field of cancer, not someone that sits in their childhood bedroom filming themselves overexercising...

*side note: imagine what she could achieve if she wasn't undernourished and wasn't consumed with food + exercise...

Reactions: 27
yeah no way she could work with other people, but surely research skills in the science field are really sought after?!
I’d imagine that it’s the same as in any career, in that even you’re brilliant you’re going to struggle if you don’t play well with others. There’s a growing emphasis now in research about the culture, and a move away from the idea that research is carried out by a lone genius locked in a lab. If you’re not someone who can work in a team or who struggles to acknowledge the work and contribution of others then it’s probably not the career for you.

With Holly I always get the impression that her academic choices have been based more on doing stuff because it sounds prestigious and because she can, rather than because she’s ever had any kind of genuine love or interest in what she’s doing. She also comes cross as someone who is book-smart but not quite as smart about real life - she seems to be turning that into her personality but it’s all a bit sad now.

Reactions: 17
I wonder if her parents also pushed the Cambridge route pretty hard, and she did it so that she'd finally feel they were proud of her

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I wonder if her parents also pushed the Cambridge route pretty hard, and she did it so that she'd finally feel they were proud of her
It’s sad if that is the case because even now her mum barely seems to acknowledge her amazing results etc

Reactions: 10
Has anyone seen Holly dancing on Jack Edwards reels? Not quite the shy dancer I would have expected - actually quite nice to see her having fun

Reactions: 2
please tell me you’re talking about Ruby 😂
Yes 😅 If I remember correctly she raised that idea as something that interested her as part of a long email to a tutor. I think it was not just their clothing but how the clothing affected their ‘experience’ of reading. I guess it just came to mind as a clear example of something that research funding should not be devoted to, unlike cancer…

Reactions: 5
She says she'll take one day off of vlogmas per week because she doesn't want to 'burn out'. From what? Exercising and eating bland meals?

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Well I for one am kinda glad that we get some days off from the onslaught of Holly content (especially since she seems so weirdly hyper in the latest videos, or is that just me?)

Also it's interesting that she has management now (I seem to remember that she used to be self-managed). I bet that is also the reason why she's suddenly attending so many influencer parties in London. Guess it makes sense to get a manager now that youtube is her job and her chosen career.

Reactions: 12
I wonder how the people she meets at these influencer events feel about her being like "PARTYING WITH FRIENDS" when she basically is only going to events linked to her Youtube and has probably just met everyone on the day (and will probably never see them again)

Reactions: 4
Her Q&A vlogs with her mum started playing on my YouTube and I was shocked to find myself warming to her mum and their relationship. There were lots of giggles and they actually seemed really close and her mum was much more open to things than expected. Who knew?!

Her Q&A vlogs with her mum started playing on my YouTube and I was shocked to find myself warming to her mum and their relationship. There were lots of giggles and they actually seemed really close and her mum was much more open to things than expected. Who knew?!
Just because you can talk to your mom doesn't mean you can TALK to your mom. All I see in those videos is Holly desperately trying to gain her mom's approval and her mom being a witch.

Reactions: 16
Ok I tried to watch one of the Q and A videos with Holly's mom so I could give you my opinion but I literally Could Not make it through the video cause the cringe was just too much for me. I gave up when Holly literally put a chart on the screen that details how frequently each family member farts. Who wants to watch that kind of stuff?? I wish I could erase that video from my memory tbh.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Ok I tried to watch one of the Q and A videos with Holly's mom so I could give you my opinion but I literally Could Not make it through the video cause the cringe was just too much for me. I gave up when Holly literally put a chart on the screen that details how frequently each family member farts. Who wants to watch that kind of stuff?? I wish I could erase that video from my memory tbh.
That's just nasty. Reminds me of that SVU episode where Dr. Wong diagnosed this girl with something because she was obsessed with her bodily functions. Very disturbing.

Reactions: 3
What a great outcome from a first class MA from Cambridge

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.