Holly Gabrielle #5 Still lives like a nun, doesn't allow herself any fun

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her new thumbnail is so weird 😂 like is it really later hair removal that distinguishes someone as a ‘real adult’? Not sure about that lmao
well it's not as if she has periods, or any other physical indicator of adulthood. and she's a pre teen emotionally/mentally. so yeah I'd guess that body hair is all she has🤣 not sure why laser removal counts as being an adult because she has the money to afford it without getting a real job.

Reactions: 5
is she really saying that social media ruins people's lives when her job is... social media and creating unrealistic expectations for young girls and triggering potential EDs
I cannot stand influencers who do videos/posts on how much they despise social media. Although I think being real and honest about your job/mental health is great, there are so many influencers who talk about how they despise their phone or social media or their specific platform whilst greatly benefiting from it. Go get a normal job if you hate it so much

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I cannot stand influencers who do videos/posts on how much they despise social media. Although I think being real and honest about your job/mental health is great, there are so many influencers who talk about how they despise their phone or social media or their specific platform whilst greatly benefiting from it. Go get a normal job if you hate it so much
This. It's not like she's financially struggling and having to make do with whatever job she has, hating it or not. She literally filmed herself walking around the campus, making boiled veggies and studying for her course. The income from youtube is so not proportionate to the effort they put in, at least for the vast majority of youtubers. If Holly hates it that much, she has a degree from Cambridge and she has her post-grad degree to fall back on. She has every freedom to stick to a normal profession and completely disappear from the internet, and she would do herself and everyone a favour tbh. The world doesn't need another thinspo influencer who is convinced they are doing god's work.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Her new thumbnail is so weird 😂 like is it really later hair removal that distinguishes someone as a ‘real adult’? Not sure about that lmao
i didn't watch the video, i only saw the thumbnail and i thought she had a lasik eye correction 😬

This. It's not like she's financially struggling and having to make do with whatever job she has, hating it or not. She literally filmed herself walking around the campus, making boiled veggies and studying for her course. The income from youtube is so not proportionate to the effort they put in, at least for the vast majority of youtubers. If Holly hates it that much, she has a degree from Cambridge and she has her post-grad degree to fall back on. She has every freedom to stick to a normal profession and completely disappear from the internet, and she would do herself and everyone a favour tbh. The world doesn't need another thinspo influencer who is convinced they are doing god's work.
Yes this - I honestly still can't get over the fact that Holly has decided to live in her parents' house and do Youtube as a full-time job - after studying very hard to get into Cambridge, getting into Cambridge (aka one of the best universities in the world), putting a frankly insane amount of time and energy into her studies, graduating top of her class, applying for a competitive postgrad program in Cancer, studying very hard for a year, completing a research project, receiving her Master's degree from UCL - to then become a youtuber. What an anticlimactic career trajectory.

Plus I'd argue that you can become a youtuber/social media influencer without a university degree. And there are probably quite a few people who also applied for a spot on that UCL program and didn't get in - people who were probably really disappointed by that because they were intent on pursuing a career as a cancer researcher... And meanwhile, you have Holly who completed that degree with great grades and is now using her degree to... film herself talking about her body hair for a living. :/ (Sorry, I'm just salty today)

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Yes this - I honestly still can't get over the fact that Holly has decided to live in her parents' house and do Youtube as a full-time job - after studying very hard to get into Cambridge, getting into Cambridge (aka one of the best universities in the world), putting a frankly insane amount of time and energy into her studies, graduating top of her class, applying for a competitive postgrad program in Cancer, studying very hard for a year, completing a research project, receiving her Master's degree from UCL - to then become a youtuber. What an anticlimactic career trajectory.

Plus I'd argue that you can become a youtuber/social media influencer without a university degree. And there are probably quite a few people who also applied for a spot on that UCL program and didn't get in - people who were probably really disappointed by that because they were intent on pursuing a career as a cancer researcher... And meanwhile, you have Holly who completed that degree with great grades and is now using her degree to... film herself talking about her body hair for a living. :/ (Sorry, I'm just salty today)
It’s also somewhat ironic that her whole YT career has been based around her studying - which is the one thing that she’s no longer doing, so that she can focus on her YT career. The mind boggles.

Reactions: 21
yet another weight/workout focused video. she thinks a lot about ED related topics for someone who's allegedly recovered from one.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Sorry if this has been mentioned, is there a reason she regularly posts a before picture on her thumbnails for videos about eating and exercise? I don’t really know anything about EDs, but is this somehow part of the recovery? It just seems strange and surely somewhat triggering to others when an almost skeletal body is front and centre of her thumbnails.

Reactions: 9
Sorry if this has been mentioned, is there a reason she regularly posts a before picture on her thumbnails for videos about eating and exercise? I don’t really know anything about EDs, but is this somehow part of the recovery? It just seems strange and surely somewhat triggering to others when an almost skeletal body is front and centre of her thumbnails.
I am no expert but I think the fact that she is publicly showing these photos from her in the midst of her ED (and photos of her bodychecking now) are proof of the fact she is not recovered. Another youtuber, Helena Rose, is fully recovered and talked about how she actually deleted some of her old videos which had photos of her underweight because it can be so triggering to people. If Holly was recovered and cared about her audience she wouldn't make her thumbnails contain these photos

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Holly is a hyprocite and a liar. She can emphasize that she's healthy and recovered until the cows come home but the mere fact that she -- in a video about exercising to keep your body well! -- mentions that she ran the London marathon with an injured achilles says it all. Holly doesn't care about her body or her well-being. All she craves is attention and now that her channel lacks the studytube content, food and exercise is all she's left. Or, to use Holly's words: The show must go on. :sick:

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I'm quite new to her and her channel but just watched her hair transformation video and honestly thought she looked gorgeous. So I couldn't believe how negative her mum's response was to her?! Ngl it gave me flashbacks to my own mum. She just couldn't help trying to deflate Holly's enthusiasm? Holly was looking for some approval or validation and was clearly very happy but all her mum could do was repeat "it's not that curly" "it's not as curly as it was" ?? You are on camera, try and be a little nicer to your daughter? I wonder if Holly films those interactions knowing her mum isn't being kind to her for people to see. She seems unphased but its the sort of thing I would get from my mum which really hurt me deep down. Yeah, as someone said, no wonder she can't recover.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I'm quite new to her and her channel but just watched her hair transformation video and honestly thought she looked gorgeous. So I couldn't believe how negative her mum's response was to her?! Ngl it gave me flashbacks to my own mum. She just couldn't help trying to deflate Holly's enthusiasm? Holly was looking for some approval or validation and was clearly very happy but all her mum could do was repeat "it's not that curly" "it's not as curly as it was" ?? You are on camera, try and be a little nicer to your daughter? I wonder if Holly films those interactions knowing her mum isn't being kind to her for people to see. She seems unphased but its the sort of thing I would get from my mum which really hurt me deep down. Yeah, as someone said, no wonder she can't recover.
Also, if you stick to the CGM, your hair can get curlier over time. Her mom's just a bitter witch.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Her family's (undoubtedly horrendous!) reaction aside I actually preferred her old hair when she wore it shorter. Of course, that's all superficial and a question of personal style and I'm happy she is exploring something new that she likes (you go girl, that's what life is about), so don't take this comment too seriously. But to me her hair currently just looks like it is not looked after properly. I thought her straight hair (not pulled back, but worn shorter) suited her sleek look. Now she gives me some strong anti-vaxxer vibes, like slightly hippie-esque anti-sciencer. :D The fluffyness also adds to the overall undernourished look (again, to me personally). But then again I'm also slightly sceptical about the curly girl method hype in general.

(Anyone else on team straight hair Holly? Was just wondering since everybody seemed to prefer the new style. - I only like the joy in exploring and self-expression it represents.)

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Holly was looking for some approval or validation and was clearly very happy but all her mum could do was repeat "it's not that curly" "it's not as curly as it was" ?? You are on camera, try and be a little nicer to your daughter?
Totally. Such odd comments from her mother. Why does it matter if it’s ‘not that curly’ anyway? It doesn’t have to be! It can just be as curly as it is.

Her family's (undoubtedly horrendous!) reaction aside I actually preferred her old hair when she wore it shorter. Of course, that's all superficial and a question of personal style and I'm happy she is exploring something new that she likes (you go girl, that's what life is about), so don't take this comment too seriously. But to me her hair currently just looks like it is not looked after properly. I thought her straight hair (not pulled back, but worn shorter) suited her sleek look. Now she gives me some strong anti-vaxxer vibes, like slightly hippie-esque anti-sciencer. :D The fluffyness also adds to the overall undernourished look (again, to me personally). But then again I'm also slightly sceptical about the curly girl method hype in general.

(Anyone else on team straight hair Holly? Was just wondering since everybody seemed to prefer the new style. - I only like the joy in exploring and self-expression it represents.)
Totally agree with your comment! It’s great she’s trying something different, good for her - but I agree that her hair doesn’t look healthy and the fluffiness makes her look more ill. I thought her hair looked better when she was in Australia - I think that was when it was short? I think she might have been a bit healthier then, too. I’m probably like a broken record when it comes to Holly but (to me) she looks really unwell and seems completely in denial that she might not be the picture of health 🙁 No method is going to do as much for her hair as getting healthy (actually healthy, not exercising like mad and restricting…) would.

Reactions: 15
Quite behind on the thread so it may of already been mentioned but just saw her London Marathon run she shared on strava, her average HR was 188 for her marathon, that seems quite high for the 3.5 hours to be at that level. I know its not the most reliable method isnt max heart rate supposed to be 220-age, then target for High impact stuff is 60-80% of that. I checked out an elite marathon runner and he was running 4.43 minute miles with average HR 170, despite almost twice the pace Holly ran, even his heart rate wasnt anywhere near Holly's. I know it depends on heart rate monitor reliability and so many other factors but shows how much damage she was doing to her body pushing at that level for length of time.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Quite behind on the thread so it may of already been mentioned but just saw her London Marathon run she shared on strava, her average HR was 188 for her marathon, that seems quite high for the 3.5 hours to be at that level. I know its not the most reliable method isnt max heart rate supposed to be 220-age, then target for High impact stuff is 60-80% of that. I checked out an elite marathon runner and he was running 4.43 minute miles with average HR 170, despite almost twice the pace Holly ran, even his heart rate wasnt anywhere near Holly's. I know it depends on heart rate monitor reliability and so many other factors but shows how much damage she was doing to her body pushing at that level for length of time.
Oh wow that's interesting - cause if Holly's max heart rate is 220-23 = 197, that means a heart rate of 188 is super close to her maximum, right? And I really don't know much about this but I'm fairly certain that you're not supposed to push yourself to your maximum heartrate during a marathon... Especially when you're already injured. No wonder she had to be treated by paramedics afterward :/

I also read up on heartrates on a website just now and the expert they interview said that "eventually, running at a heart rate that’s too high for the purpose of your training will lead to a plateau in race times, burnout, or injury". Sure sounds familiar for us Holly viewers huh. (The article also mentions that working with a running coach can help you make sure you don't go over the right heart rate zone during training - but Holly just stopped working with her coach cause she felt she could make more progress training alone. I wonder if he tried to talk sense into her and she just fired him lmao)

I also got seriously fed up with her in that video about her new exercise routine or whatever it was called. That whole video had the vibe of Holly frantically talking to the camera trying to convince herself it's fine that her achilles isn't healed yet, it's fine to take a break from exercising etc. But she didn't seem fully convinced herself. And it clearly ate at her that one physiotherapist had told her she'd be able to run again after 1-2 weeks and then that didn't turn out to be true.

She also mentioned being really upset and crying when talking to her mum because she can't go running due to her injury... and but in that same video she smugly states that she doesn't regret running a marathon on her injured foot! Because, apparently, she had "many reasons" why running the marathon was the right decision - but then there's a cut in the video right after she says "many reasons" and we never learn what those reasons actually were. Very convincing Holly! Clearly these reasons must have been very compelling if you don't even want to mention them online!

And crying about a 100% self-inflicted injury is just so so stupid. It just makes me so unreasonably angry cause the whole thing would have been completely avoidable if she had just listened to basically anyone..

But of course, according to Holly, all is fine and wonderful. She's going to order "heavier weights" to really increase her strength training and really build up her abs - something she claims she has never tried before (even though we've seen her do ab workouts in like every other video for four years). She's also doing calisthenics which apparently involves push-up variations and exercises where you push yourself up on chairs until your face gets completely red and twisted with pain and exertion (or at least that's what calisthenics look like when Holly does them, I suppose). I guess nothing says "complete exercise break to focus on recovery" like forcing yourself through series of push-ups to sculpt your abs.

I didn't even watch the video after that cause I'm just so done with her content tbh.

Reactions: 18
I’m being super lazy and not reading back through all old threads but with her recent videos and comments made on here recently, does she have any friends? Thoughts on her family aside, it seems unusual that she spends the majority of her time in her bedroom and only ever speaks of her family. Surely at school or UG uni she will have made some friends? She just strikes me as being very lonely and so uses study, food and exercise as a way of making her day structured, purposeful and to hide/squash down the loneliness/isolation? And the more she does it, the more she has to keep doing it and the more insular her life becomes. I’m not a fan of hers and feel many of her videos and actions are damaging, but something about her recent posts have actually made me feel a little sad for her? And that is something I never thought I would say 😳

Reactions: 14
I’m being super lazy and not reading back through all old threads but with her recent videos and comments made on here recently, does she have any friends? Thoughts on her family aside, it seems unusual that she spends the majority of her time in her bedroom and only ever speaks of her family. Surely at school or UG uni she will have made some friends? She just strikes me as being very lonely and so uses study, food and exercise as a way of making her day structured, purposeful and to hide/squash down the loneliness/isolation? And the more she does it, the more she has to keep doing it and the more insular her life becomes. I’m not a fan of hers and feel many of her videos and actions are damaging, but something about her recent posts have actually made me feel a little sad for her? And that is something I never thought I would say 😳
Yeah it's definitely quite sad imho. Also you're in luck cause Holly recently made a video talking about her views on friendship. Trouble is I didn't watch that one so I can't tell you anything about it but here's the link:

As far as I can tell from watching her videos, Holly sometimes meets up with a friend in London for coffee but that is like, a rare event for her. Other than that, she doesn't really have any social interactions with people her age (except for her tutoring business I guess).

I also have a vivid memory of Holly explaining in a video that she doesn't really need any friends because she has her "amazing" family and her "dude", meaning her sister, who is her best friend. I remember feeling quite sad for her at that.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
She seems very focussed on "period back = end of recovery". I remember getting my period back while still being slightly underweight and thinking that that meant that my body weight was restored and recovery completed. Only after I developed binge eating I realized that the weight on which I got my period back was still artificially low and I had no way of actually eating intuitively in which I could stay at it. Now I'm 10+ kilos above that weight and my body feels 100x healthier. I dislike her focus on it since it can trigger other people in recovery thinking that getting your period back is the "end point", which will only cause more disordered eating since it's not your natural weight and you'll have to keep restricting to stay at it.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.