Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Shinythings

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to go in October. Would like warm weather and suitable for kids. We were considering Florida, but it was pricing up at 8grand. I'm also worried, the kids will not be getting vaccinated and someone said the US might make vaccines mandatory for entry. I did consider Mexico but it wasn't much cheaper. Ideally would like to spend less than 4grand for at least a week.
We haven't been away in four years so really want a nice holiday.
Cape Verde? We went in October and loved it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Shinythings

VIP Member
It's happening across the world as so many staff were laid off during covid and to come back they have to renew their training before they can come back and airlines can't get it done fast enough. Plus they are having to rehire because loads they laid off don't want to come back.

strawb

VIP Member
We usually go every January for 2.5 weeks, and spend 4 days in the north of Thailand, in Chang rai in a small village visiting my partners grandad and his family, we then travel south, about an hour north of Phuket to a place called Khao Lak where we have some friends and we spend 2 weeks there. We obviously haven’t been able to since pre covid so it’s been 2 years. We didn’t visit my partners grandad this time though as it’s too risky with the testing requirements needed. We did however do the 2 weeks in khao lak.

we had been saving since 2020 and it was a once in a lifetime trip as we flew business class and then first class on Qatar which was absolutely out of this world. We managed to get it much cheaper than it normally would be obviously due to people not really travelling. We flew from Heathrow to Doha and then on to Phuket. We were part of the sandbox testing which meant we only had to test when we go there and then again on day5. For the first 7 days we had to stay in a hotel and after that we were able to move to a villa we rent every year to join the rest of the family who had flown out also but on the test and go scheme to Bangkok so their rules were different. The test on day 1 was the worst, we had to stay in the hotel room until we got the results. We did the test around 1pm at the airport and for the results back about 9pm. The hotel room was gorgeous though, we had lots of beers in the fridge courtesy of the hotel, room service, a private pool, a sea view so we saw the sunset, massive bath tub, tv etc so we were able to put the day in tightly but we were starting to get a bit bored and nervous as it grew closer to the time we should have expected our results. If it had been positive we would have had to spend 7days in that room. Thankfully all tests were fine and we were able to go an enjoy our holiday.

we did a sunset cruise, visited an elephant sanctuary (one of the good ones - not one where They get on the elephants), the markets, temples, waterfall, and went out for some food and drinks each night. After 7 days we moved to a villa by the beach and it had a little beach bar/restaurant beside it which we went to everyday for afternoon beers. It was a fantastic trip and very emotional as it was 2 years to get back there and see our friends.

main khao lak is awful right now, so many empty places and the footpaths overgrown. Businesses there are clinging on by a string. But the bang niang area was quite busy and lots open. It was good to go and give some money back to them.
Thailand really is the most wonderful place on earth. Xx
thank you so much for sharing, i'm glad everything turned out well with the test and it sounds like you had an amazing time! 💛
do you have any photos of the elephants from the sanctuary, i love elephants 🥺🥺🥺🐘🐘🐘

• Heart

kimh90

Chatty Member
Going to Salou on the 30th can't wait. Its my first holiday abroad. Think I'm pretty much there with clothes and items/lists. What's everyone else taken before just incase I have forgot anything?

wiganuser

VIP Member
I came back from Barbados just before xmas and it was amazing, 3rd time and still love it. Got my favourite greek island skiathos booked in the summer and California in October. Can someone rob a bank for me because christ knows where the spending money will come from 🥴

• Heart

Shinythings

VIP Member
Can I ask where you stayed? We’ve considered this in the past!
We stayed on Boa Vista which is the more unspoilt of the two main tourist islands. If being able to get in the sea is important to you, go to a hotel on the North West coast as beaches on the south are nearly always red flagged.

It's very unspoiled and rugged. It's not for everyone but I loved it.

teabob

I need a rant !
We are looking at a last minute holiday to Florida. Our house sale has fallen through for the 3rd time due to chancers and time waster, so we have lost the new house we were buying
Yesterday I was looking at two weeks for £816. Today Virgins ‘sale’ has started and the price has gone up to £950 !! I know that it’s probably due to price surging, but how can it cost more in the sale
Grrrrrrr !! 😡
Have you looked on Holiday Hypermarket? I was helping my sister look for last minute deals and a couple of amazing ones came up for Florida, one was 2 weeks for £622 each 😲 Not Virgin but we’ve went Tui before with no issue. This was last weekends price. Obviously it’s off site and doesn’t include park tickets but we’ve stayed on idrive before and loved it

8820120B-7FF7-4BC1-9E7A-A817981A2EEA.jpeg

Persistence has paid off. Got it today for £790. It’s now up to £998. Kinda takes the sting out of losing out on a new house 🙂
Sorry, I replied as I was reading down the thread and didn’t see this reply. That’s a great price. Enjoy!

mcfeez

VIP Member
How does everyone book their holidays? My holiday booking knowledge doesn’t go beyond TUI/Virgin lol
We book flights directly. Hotels/apartments it depends. I'm a big fan of hotels.com as you get a free night with them for every 10 you book and stay. I also do book hotels directly a lot as well as that tends to be where you can often get good offers.

Booked my first holiday abroad 2 years ago. Got cancelled because of covid... trying again very soon for end of September/beginning of October. What would people recommend for their first holiday abroad and what companies for package deals/ all inclusive :) thanks.. thinking either salou or Portugal with my mum too
If you are looking for the stereotypical sun and fun type package type holiday then its very difficult to go wrong with Spain! Salou is fun as it has Port Aventura close by if you are into theme parks - its a great one! Its also not too far from Barcelona for a day trip for cultural activities or to go shopping.

We are not package holiday type people at all but went to Tenerife for a week last year and it was actually really lovely. The weather was gorgeous and it was so relaxing - they have an amazing water park there called Siam Park which was so good and they do a cool excursion where you go up the mountain and watch the sunset then stargaze.

Last edited:

Notorious PIG

Finally going to Spanish Basque in June after having to postpone twice. Or was it thrice, I can’t remember 😆

Flying into Barcelona first as we are going to the Moto GP the next day. We don’t really like Barcelona so we won’t be sticking around, we’ll be driving to Basque the day after the Moto GP.

Staying for a few days, filling up on beautiful pinxtos (Basque tapas), seeing some sites and then flying back from Bilbao.

Everything fine-tuned and booked, just gotta sort out what I’m gonna wear to the Moto GP (we are Team Ducati). I’m really looking forward to it!

epl000

VIP Member
Oh Malta is gorgeous! Would highly recommend the ferry over to Gozo, a couple of hours wandering round Mdina, the Upper Barracka Gardens in Valetta, and Bridge Bar in Valetta (live jazz music on a friday night). Highly recommend a bistro called Crust near Spinola Bay - we enjoyed it so much we went back a second time. Really recommend the buses, I think you can buy like multi-trip tickets and they are so easy to use and a great way to get around!

• Heart

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Hey @heygirlhey2022 Ive been to Mexico before - personally wouldn’t recommend Cancun, you might be best staying in Puerto Del Carmen or Riviera Maya as they are much better. There’s loads to do, defo recommend Chichen Itza, as you mentioned the cenotes are great and defo worth doing, if you like adventure/activities then look at Xel Ha and Xcaret as they are great days out. There’s some ruins in Tulum, Tulum is lovely but I wouldn’t necessarily say you need to stay there as believe there price can be a bit expensive in comparison but it would be cheap enough to visit and spend time at. My boyfriends been to St Lucia and absolutely loved it so whatever you pick will be lovely! I just guess think about what you want most from the place and then decide x

• Heart

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
I want to check out the statues on the beach and the blitz rubble area. Thankyou for your recommendations everyone x
Ah yes, that’s down the other end. You’re best if travelling my train going either to Hightown or Hall Road and walking down to the coastguard station to see the blitz beach and then walking down the beach and you’ll see much more of the statues and if you keep heading down the beach then you’d end up at the Bus Yard! x

HoGi

VIP Member
I need a rant !
We are looking at a last minute holiday to Florida. Our house sale has fallen through for the 3rd time due to chancers and time waster, so we have lost the new house we were buying
Yesterday I was looking at two weeks for £816. Today Virgins ‘sale’ has started and the price has gone up to £950 !! I know that it’s probably due to price surging, but how can it cost more in the sale
Grrrrrrr !! 😡
This often happens with Amazon (and other retailers) on prime day or black Friday deals.

They will have for example a hoover listed as RRP £150 and pre sale it is £85 on prime day it will be listed as £50 off so selling for £100 when the day before you could get it cheaper.

Some people don't do their research and just see a "deal" 😔

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
Got sorrento Italy booked for a week in June and 4 nights in Lisbon in august. Hoping to sneak a few nights in Dubai in March but won’t book until last minute. Really wanted to go to Caribbean last week as usually go away the first week in January but didn’t want to travel with the pre departure test.. which they have just got rid off!… so went to Scotland instead lol
Sorrento is gorgeous, one of my favourite places in Europe. Did Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi drive, Capri, Naples, lots of hanging out in lovely Sorrento itself. It was idyllic.

I went to Sorrento for a week in June a few years ago, I know it's a touristy destination but I loved getting the train every morning to a different archaeological site then returning in the afternoon for a G&T or cocktail in one of the many bars in Sorrento.
It was just gorgeous, I'll be back.

strawb

VIP Member
Going to Berlin in May! Let's hope they let us in!
there's a big chance you might have to get tested for entering a restaurant bar etc. if you're not boosted so just a heads up it might be good to get the booster before may if you can!

Warpaint

VIP Member
I got there at 4.30am and didn’t leave security until going up to 7am! Queues were near the main doors 😩

@noseybirdxo I’m back home now! You’ll have the best time 🥰
Mental! Glad I missed the rush week. I think around Easter time has always been a bit chaotic at airports anyway. Lack of staff doesn't help though which they keep saying is a big problem.

I'm just hoping they get it sorted for Summer. Think there's going to be a mass exodus of Brits this year

Glaschelle

VIP Member
I might have posted this before but me and old dear go to Blackpool each year.

I booked our week in August today. £1000 for the 2 of us - all inclusive.

The reason I went for all inclusive is because you get a bus pass, packed lunch, bingo tickets and free bar. You always got your bus pass with this company - until last year.

I do think the cost is over the top/profiteering!!!

To be honest, I'm going to be struggling to pay for this holiday.

Does anyone want to buy a kidney???

• Haha

Cariad

VIP Member
My fiancé suggested we go to the Maldives for our honeymoon (not that we've even booked the wedding yet, but we love holidays!) from what I've seen online it looks absolutely gorgeous, but I worry that we'll be bored as neither of us are sun bathers. We like snorkelling, boat trips, wildlife etc, so is there plenty to do to keep us busy?
We found there was plenty to keep us occupied....just even walking round the island we stayed on, you'd see so much wildlife it was fascinating. The shoals of fish by the shoreline were incredible and the baby reef tip sharks would swim past you as you paddled in the shallows! Kandolhu had several resident turtles who would frequently swim past you . Our pool villa had a resident heron as well as very cheeky and noisy water hens who kept us amused
There were boat trips to nearby local islands, picnic on a sandbar, sunset cruise to see dolphins- you could learn to scuba dive ( although the snorkelling where we were was incredible and such variety of fishes to be seen ) boat trips to swim with whale sharks and Manta Rays - Baa Atoll is apparently best location for this but you can see them on other atolls Some islands have marine /environmental scientists who you can assist in monitoring turtle colonies or "planting" coral reefs....you can do cooking lessons at some resorts and if all gets too much have a relaxing massage in the spa!
Basically you can do as much or as little as you want- some islands have motorised water sports but I think these spoil the ambience and tranquility of the islands , not to mention ruin the ecosystem
I can also highly recommend Constance Lemuria on Praslin or Constance Ephelia on Mahe in The Seychelles if you need more inspiration for exotic holiday ideas....we stayed here for our 30th wedding anniversary. We hired a car on Praslin to explore the beautiful island and its beaches ( which was great fun as speed limit is 30mph and some v steep and exciting roads) - there's also an incredible tropical rain forest where the coco de mer trees are found as well as cinnamon,mango and vanilla trees ...again amazing variety of birds and huge fruit bats!

• Heart

Sarah123456789

Chatty Member
Go to Masala Zone in Covent Garden it’s amazing!!
Turkey !!! All booked . I have trips away now and again , very short ones but as a family we havent heen on a proper holiday together for about 6/7 years .
Brighton Pride. August , with my teen daughter staying in The Grand
Booked up for Mr Ducks significant birthday Back to the Future the musical in London. Need to book a restaurant, Joe Allans or Rules are coming out favourite so far but would probably end up in a chinese somewhere near the theatre , china town is nearby .... I think... might have got my theatres mixed up
Yep that's it I think , Brighton Pride , theatre and Turkey