Holidays 2022

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Back from Oslo. Getting through Manchester security can turn very irritating at times but generally okay. One of the machines broke and it took about 10 minutes extra. This was at like 9am, I think gradually as the day wore on it got a lot worse, kept hearing people talking about kick offs as they got through.

Landing in Oslo passport control took AGES, don't know if anyone else has found this in other countries?

Norway was great again though. The terrorist attack was a bit of a dampener but amazing to see everyone was out in the street in full force not being scared by it. (We'd gone off camping the day before the attack, happened right outside the hotel I was staying)
It’s not just Oslo. It took 1hr45 to get through passport control at Barcelona last week. It was pretty much the same length as the flight!

Reactions: 1
Back from Oslo. Getting through Manchester security can turn very irritating at times but generally okay. One of the machines broke and it took about 10 minutes extra. This was at like 9am, I think gradually as the day wore on it got a lot worse, kept hearing people talking about kick offs as they got through.

Landing in Oslo passport control took AGES, don't know if anyone else has found this in other countries?

Norway was great again though. The terrorist attack was a bit of a dampener but amazing to see everyone was out in the street in full force not being scared by it. (We'd gone off camping the day before the attack, happened right outside the hotel I was staying)
Yep I had the same thing in Majorca with passport control. Took 40 minutes to get through.

When I landed in Manchester a few weeks ago they only had less than half of those self scan passport machines open despite a huge queue, what's that all about it's not like they need individually manning

I don't know where to post this, but maybe some experienced travellers can provide me with some advice.

I am taking 5 days off in August and then 10 days off at the end of September.

My original plan was to do the following:
  • August: Travel to Helsinki and squeeze in a day trip to Tallinn (Estonia)
  • September: Travel to Croatia
However, when reviewing the numbers, I was thinking of perhaps switching my plan to skipping the August "city break" altogether and going to Singapore for a week in September instead.

The numbers resulting from the combination of Helsinki / Tallinn / Croatia will more or less amount to the same forecast for a week in Singapore (as I am planning on booking proper hotels and airline options are quite limited to from where I live). In all fairness, I've always wanted to visit Singapore more so than I ever did Helsinki or Croatia.

Should I stick to my original plan?

I don't know where to post this, but maybe some experienced travellers can provide me with some advice.

However, when reviewing the numbers, I was thinking of perhaps switching my plan to skipping the August "city break" altogether and going to Singapore for a week in September instead.

The numbers resulting from the combination of Helsinki / Tallinn / Croatia will more or less amount to the same forecast for a week in Singapore (as I am planning on booking proper hotels and airline options are quite limited to from where I live). In all fairness, I've always wanted to visit Singapore more so than I ever did Helsinki or Croatia.

Could you take the time off at the same time? And have two weeks (or 15days) off at once? Don’t know where you live but if it was me I wouldn’t want to go to Singapore just for a week as it would take me a day to get there and a day to get back. Where as the other places are much shorter travel times but depends where you live or unless you’ve taken that into account? I would rather have taken the longer time off all at once and gone to Singapore for a few days, as I’ve been told you only need a few days there? Never actually been though or researched it so might be wrong. Then I would’ve gone to a cheaper country close to Singapore like Thailand for the rest of the time.

Reactions: 2
Could you take the time off at the same time? And have two weeks (or 15days) off at once? Don’t know where you live but if it was me I wouldn’t want to go to Singapore just for a week as it would take me a day to get there and a day to get back. Where as the other places are much shorter travel times but depends where you live or unless you’ve taken that into account? I would rather have taken the longer time off all at once and gone to Singapore for a few days, as I’ve been told you only need a few days there? Never actually been though or researched it so might be wrong. Then I would’ve gone to a cheaper country close to Singapore like Thailand for the rest of the time.
Thank you.

I thought about merging the two all at once in September but it will depend on work. It takes about 5-8h to get to Helsinki from where I live. For Singapore, I'm looking at around 17h which is not bad. I heard Singapore is feasible in a week, but certainly, if I merge the two and take 15 days, I'd look to spend a week in Singapore and the rest of the time elsewhere.

I think the passport control is normal. You're not in the European agreements anymore. I know Norway is not in the EU but they are part of the European Single Market and the EEA.

I think go to Singapore - you’ve said yourself that you’ve always wanted to visit there more than the others.

Croatia is beautiful and would never rule it out but if I had the chance I’d go Singapore.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

100% go to Singapore and if you can fly with Singapore Airlines. Best flight experience I ever had and it definitely made me want to visit Singapore

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I would love to go to Singapore.
we wanted to visit along side Hong Kong to make the London flight more bearable but HK still shut to tourists.
Will it ever open up ? Zero covid policy insane.

• Heart
I got back from a holiday a few days ago, London Heathrow Terminal 5 was super smooth. Really impressed with BA. I was really nervous as I’d seen on the news about long queues etc and I didn’t queue at all for bag drop, security etc. flight was delayed 30 mins out and then 2 hours on the way back home but that can’t be helped, it’s all due to staffing.

All the BA staff were apologetic and lovely despite working 14 hour days and having their own flights messed up.

I’ve got the holiday blues now 🤣

I'm researching South Africa for next year. Any tips?

Also, Montenegro - is it sufficiently different from Croatia to warrant a visit?

Travelled to Malaga for boyfriend's sister's wedding and some of the groom's family is from the UK. I made it through immigration in less than 5 mins, and no-word of a lie.. the Spanish official barely glanced at my Irish passport, which wasn't even open on the picture page. We had to wait an HOUR AND A HALF outside for all the Brits to make it through immigration (we had a coach booked to bring us to the hotel, so obviously weren't going to leave anyone behind).

I managed to get a picture of the two lanes with the Union Jack and Irish flag on my way home (me and BF left early because of limited time off work).. the reason there's no queues in the photo is because there was only EU flights leaving that evening - all UK bound flights were cancelled. Madness.

290085059_1179389416142982_3981698942694749663_n.jpeg

• Wow
I need help! Holiday is booked for next month 😁 me and my partner have never booked airport lounge access but thinking we might for this holiday? Do you guys recommend or?

I need help! Holiday is booked for next month 😁 me and my partner have never booked airport lounge access but thinking we might for this holiday? Do you guys recommend or?
I booked lounge access for our holiday at the end of June and it was invaluable.

The airport was heaving. People literally everywhere. If there was space there was someone standing/sitting/laying there.

Got down to the lounge and it was peaceful and took all the stress away.

Food and drink included. Reserved table so guaranteed seat. Power Banks to change bits up if you need it. Easy access to view a screen with gates etc.

It was well worth it

• Heart
Yes it’s nice to be able to sit down in a quiet and nicer area of the airport and enjoy the food & drinks on offer. If the cost isn’t prohibitive and you are going to be hanging around in the airport for a few hours I would recommend it

• Heart
Definitely depends on the lounge I’d say. The “pay to get in” lounge at my home airport honestly sucks and is not be worthy the 60€

• Heart
Thanks so much for the replies! It’s £29 pp - which I don’t think is bad at all. We thought it would help with the current airport chaos?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.