Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m so glad I found this thread
I’ve had health anxiety for at least five years but mainly the last 9 months since covid came about
I think it was triggered by a first aid course when the trainer told us that there is a very small chance of surviving a heart attack so now I am constantly thinking I am having a heart attack, I check my heart rate on my fit bit constantly. I always think I have shortness of breathes I worry about how long it would take an ambulance to reach me if I were to have a heart attack, I worry about dying alone whilst I’m working from home during the day
I also think I have cancer every single day and when I am feeling better and think I’m just being silly, I think but what if I really do have something and I’m in a false sense of security
It’s literally draining

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve had health anxiety for at least five years but mainly the last 9 months since covid came about
I think it was triggered by a first aid course when the trainer told us that there is a very small chance of surviving a heart attack so now I am constantly thinking I am having a heart attack, I check my heart rate on my fit bit constantly. I always think I have shortness of breathes I worry about how long it would take an ambulance to reach me if I were to have a heart attack, I worry about dying alone whilst I’m working from home during the day
I also think I have cancer every single day and when I am feeling better and think I’m just being silly, I think but what if I really do have something and I’m in a false sense of security
It’s literally draining
I’m sorry you’re feeling this way! Anxiety definitely doesn’t help if you’re worrying about a heart attack, it can do all sorts of crazy things to your heart rate and other symptoms like feeling out of breath! Have you spoken to a dr or counsellor about your worries at all? ❤

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way! Anxiety definitely doesn’t help if you’re worrying about a heart attack, it can do all sorts of crazy things to your heart rate and other symptoms like feeling out of breath! Have you spoken to a dr or counsellor about your worries at all? ❤
Thank you! No I’ve not to be honest, but I know I should. When I’m stressed with other things like general life and work, that brings on the health anxiety and then when I’m ok I feel like I shouldn’t waste their time but it is definitely getting worse. there isn’t a day or even hour that goes by where I don’t think about what potential illness I have. I should really make an appointment

It’s literally draining
Honestly some people need to think before they speak. I would like to reassure you that you have a very good chance of surviving a heart attack. As a first aid teacher that person should be ashamed of themselves. My dad had a massive heart attack at forty which was precipitated by a few smaller ones he didn't even realise he was having.
He survived the big one, although he did spend some time in the hospital. Obviously the older you get the bigger the chance you will die but it's not a death sentence.
Ofcourse I also understand HA doesn't listen to common sense otherwise none of us would be suffering with it! But hopefully that has reassured you a little.

Reactions: 1
Working from home alone all week my mind is flitting from one health symptom to the next, my fingers are itching to check for lumps 😣 I’ve worried about 4 different health problems already and it’s only midday

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I think covid has exacerbated everyones worries, i was having nightmares for a while. Its rammed down our throats all day every day, its not normal being confronted with massive death figures on a daily basis. No wonder you are all feeling anxious xx

Reactions: 4
Ugh - I think I've come down with a UTI - for the past day or so, I've had a constant low-level feeling of needing to pee and am frequently urinating lol. Trying to consume lots of water. It's not painful but distracting and worried I will have trouble falling asleep. It doesn't help that my anxiety is convinced that I have permanent bladder damage or that it won't go away lol.

Does anyone else get this? I've experienced this before I am sure but pretty sure it went away after a few days max.

Ugh - I think I've come down with a UTI - for the past day or so, I've had a constant low-level feeling of needing to pee and am frequently urinating lol. Trying to consume lots of water. It's not painful but distracting and worried I will have trouble falling asleep. It doesn't help that my anxiety is convinced that I have permanent bladder damage or that it won't go away lol.

Does anyone else get this? I've experienced this before I am sure but pretty sure it went away after a few days max.

Iv had 2 UTIs before. Both completely different. First was so bad I needed two rounds of antibiotics. Didn't help it took 3 tests before the doctors believed me.. long story!

The second one was nowhere near as bad. I drank lots of water and had cranberry juice...alot of it lol. It did take about a week to clear up though.

I would say try water and cranberry juice and if no signs of improvement see your gp for antibiotics.

• Heart
Vaginal stuff... I've had a stinging pain along with some other weird symptoms in the general area, including some brief moments of shooting pain up my crotch which felt scary to me, plus I had two periods in 3 weeks (maybe brought on by stress, yeah).

I've never heard of vagina pain being a symptom of anxiety, that's all. I can reassure myself with things like chest pain, maybe even periods being early or late, stomach upset, headaches, that sort of thing because I know stress plays a big part in those, but this feels more like a "real" problem I suppose. I have definitely been obsessing and focusing on the sensations every second of the day, so I am highly anxious and I know that could have knock on effects.

Now I've been tested for the basics like thrush, etc. I'm scared of a more long-term thing or more medical investigations.
I've been going through these comments for someone to mention women's bits etc. I'm the same, high anxiety due to becoming a full time carer to a family member at home who in everyone apart from medical staff needs to return to the hospital or the care home. It's 24/7. anyway I've been having 5 periods in one month, my anxiety has gone through the roof. Gone off food just no appetite,actually being physically sick (not me), sleeping (when I'm not getting shouted) is erratic. Any little pain I convince myself I'm dying. I've broken down as I'm emotionally and physically exhausted but because my family member has four daily carers in (he refuses everything they ask what he might want) he just wants me to do it. He screams my cat during all hours of the night. Wheels his wheelchair to face the wall all day. Anyway I've tried to get help but nothing and it's making my whole body drained and my mind work overtime. Google is the worst thing to do.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
This thread is so interesting, I can massively relate to all of it. I’ve never ever really been an anxious person but I had a baby just over a year ago and since then I feel like I’ve developed this hideous anxiety surrounding health, dying and leaving her. In the last 3 months I’ve convinced myself I’ve had bowel, ovarian and now I’m onto cervical cancer. I had my first period since giving birth recently, I still breastfeed and take the pill but I’ve recently returned to work and the change in her feeding I think has triggered it to start, but I can’t get the thought out my head that I’m bleeding due to terminal cancer, it’s ridiculous and I know it is. My period stopped for a few days and then restarted and is really light and so I’ve managed to convince myself it’s sinister, it’s really hard as I spend my days obsessing about it and googling. I have moments when I feel really rational about it and then the black cloud creeps in and takes over. I’m not someone who ever really goes to the GP, I’m due a smear in the summer, my last being clear but now I’ve convinced myself I have lower back pain (probably from carrying round a nearly 2 stone child) and it’s triggered me off again. Sorry for the ramble, it’s genuinely nice to just write down how I’m feeling❤

• Sad
Reactions: 5
This thread is so interesting, I can massively relate to all of it. I’ve never ever really been an anxious person but I had a baby just over a year ago and since then I feel like I’ve developed this hideous anxiety surrounding health, dying and leaving her. In the last 3 months I’ve convinced myself I’ve had bowel, ovarian and now I’m onto cervical cancer. I had my first period since giving birth recently, I still breastfeed and take the pill but I’ve recently returned to work and the change in her feeding I think has triggered it to start, but I can’t get the thought out my head that I’m bleeding due to terminal cancer, it’s ridiculous and I know it is. My period stopped for a few days and then restarted and is really light and so I’ve managed to convince myself it’s sinister, it’s really hard as I spend my days obsessing about it and googling. I have moments when I feel really rational about it and then the black cloud creeps in and takes over. I’m not someone who ever really goes to the GP, I’m due a smear in the summer, my last being clear but now I’ve convinced myself I have lower back pain (probably from carrying round a nearly 2 stone child) and it’s triggered me off again. Sorry for the ramble, it’s genuinely nice to just write down how I’m feeling❤
Didn’t want to just read and run, I don’t know much about post partum stuff but it might just be breakthrough bleeding if you’ve only recently gone back on the pill! I know it’s hard but sometimes just a chat with a Dr can help massively ❤

I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy yesterday because I’ve spent a year worrying about bowel cancer 😪😪 I’ve been worried about my health since I was 3 years old 💔 funny this thread pops up when I need it most! Hope you’re okay, feel free to message me ❤❤
Just to quote my own post for anyone worrying, I’ve had my results from my colonoscopy and there wasn’t anything wrong! Hopefully it will reassure people to know symptoms aren’t always sinister (I’ll be honest I need to still take my own advice haha) but just wanted to keep you all updated

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Didn’t want to just read and run, I don’t know much about post partum stuff but it might just be breakthrough bleeding if you’ve only recently gone back on the pill! I know it’s hard but sometimes just a chat with a Dr can help massively ❤
Thank you, it honestly feels good to just write it down! It’s bizarre as some days I feel absolutely fine and then suddenly I just feel overwhelmed by it. It’s mad how powerful your mind is sometimes, I know that when I’m busy and distracted I don’t suffer from all these phantom pains but I can suddenly feel the minute my brain goes quiet!xx

• Heart
Thank you, it honestly feels good to just write it down! It’s bizarre as some days I feel absolutely fine and then suddenly I just feel overwhelmed by it. It’s mad how powerful your mind is sometimes, I know that when I’m busy and distracted I don’t suffer from all these phantom pains but I can suddenly feel the minute my brain goes quiet!xx
I work from home currently and on my own all week...it is the worst 🥺 I’m already worrying about worrying tomorrow lol I know I’ll be checking every 10 mins

I am exactly the same! It can consume me for days at a time and then when I’m busy or generally more chilled I am so rational about it and think haha stop being silly
It’s mad and draining

Hello,

Long time lurker, but first time poster on this thread and so glad I found it!

I've had health anxiety pretty much all my life for over 30 years but I'm constantly obsessed with the 'cure' to illnesses and get so obsessed with looking up the side effects of medicines, that sometimes I won't even take something as simple as a paracetamol incase it makes me seriously ill.

The thought of having the Covid vaccine is making me ill. I can't stop obsessing about the potential side effects even though I want to get it to protect everyone.

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way and has any coping mechanisms? Thank you!

Got antibiotics for suspected UTI today and it seems to be helping. But now I've scared myself silly that it's going to be a recurring problem. The weird thing is, I didn't have pain or burning, just urgency/frequency to urinate. I can feel myself catastrophising already about developing something like Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome, which is essentially chronic from what I have read. Like what if this is just the beginning and my life will eventually become ruled by my bladder or something? Ugh this sounds so whiny and melodramatic typing this out but I can feel myself falling down a worry spiral.

I really recommend having a pot of d-mannose powder or pills in the house. Whenever you get that weird feeling start taking it because it helps flush out anything potentially nasty in there and will help calm you. It’s far more effective than cranberry juice, and of course these things always happen on the weekend when you can’t see your doc, right? And of course, don’t take my word for it, read up on it. It’s magical.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.