Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone ever worry about asbestos exposure? So I worked in a shop for 5 years and in the stockroom the parts of the walls had holes in, I know for a fact the ceiling and floor tiles were asbestos as that was recorded in the health and safety manual, people came to check them periodically, but since I left nearly 3 years ago I’m obsessed with the idea there was loose asbestos in the walls 😪 and one day behind the fire exit they were doing asbestos removal and didn’t tell us, obviously it was all done properly and the fire exit was never opened, I wasn’t working that day but what if fibres got under the fire exit door and into the hallway? And now on and off I get this shoulder pain and when it’s bad it hurts to take a deep breath sometimes, so the other day I put 2 and 2 together and it’s mesolithimia and I’ll be dead soon 😪 trying to tell myself I spent most of my time on the shop floor and not in the stockroom but I was out there a good portion of a day at times

Reactions: 4
Does anyone ever worry about asbestos exposure? So I worked in a shop for 5 years and in the stockroom the parts of the walls had holes in, I know for a fact the ceiling and floor tiles were asbestos as that was recorded in the health and safety manual, people came to check them periodically, but since I left nearly 3 years ago I’m obsessed with the idea there was loose asbestos in the walls 😪 and one day behind the fire exit they were doing asbestos removal and didn’t tell us, obviously it was all done properly and the fire exit was never opened, I wasn’t working that day but what if fibres got under the fire exit door and into the hallway? And now on and off I get this shoulder pain and when it’s bad it hurts to take a deep breath sometimes, so the other day I put 2 and 2 together and it’s mesolithimia and I’ll be dead soon 😪 trying to tell myself I spent most of my time on the shop floor and not in the stockroom but I was out there a good portion of a day at times
I really feel for you. I am a long-time health anxiety sufferer and am obsessed with asbestos as a family friend sadly died from mesothelioma. I believe I know more about asbestos that many experts purely due to insane amounts of googling! I don't know whether or not I have ever been exposed to asbestos but I constantly worry that I have- this is ideal fuel for my anxiety.

Ultimately, it's likely we'll never know if or when we have been exposed. For me the only thing that will make me feel better is knowing that I am doing all I can to reduce my risk i.e. not smoking and trying to eat a healthy diet. You just have to keep on going every day. Keep in your mind that plenty of people had heavy exposure to asbestos for most of their working lives and many of these people never experienced ill health. We only hear about the ones that did. Asbestos was absolutely rife in the 50s and 60s (somewhere I read that the air in general was 50x more full of asbestos in the 50s than it is today). Good luck

Does anyone else suffer from health anxiety/used to be called hypochondria? I'm having a particularly difficult time of it recently and have sort of lost the ability to function due to the stress and obsession.

How do you handle real symptoms with doctors doing tests and things, when your health anxiety is also making you expect the worst constantly?

PS: No I'm not Gabby.
Thank you so much for starting this thread, I have always had health anxiety but recently I feel like it has been out of control due to furlough and having so much time on my hands. My fears are 90% cancer-related due to my grandmother dying of breast cancer in her early 30s and my dad being diagnosed with bladder cancer a few years ago. Recently breast cancer has been a huge fixation and I struggle to even look at myself in the mirror at times because I fear that it will lead to more anxiety and obsessive checking.

I am having CBT which I feel is helping but i feel for anyone who can't afford this because it is very costly. Like many of you I feel that my mind always has to have something negative to worry about. Good to know I'm not alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
So i have a lymph node on my neck that’s been up for years, and recently it went really small and I could barely feel it, this morning I wake up and it’s big and hard again 😪 and now I’ve been poking and prodding and now it’s seized up and I’m worried I can feel a mass around it and it’s jaw cancer 😪 I don’t know where this fear of jaw/mouth cancer has come from, never had anything wrong with my teeth, but in recent years I’ve become worried to go to the dentist in case he tells me there’s something wrong 🥺 I don’t drink or smoke, I have tried cigarettes and used to drink on a night out and whatever, I’m also worried about oral hpv, I wouldn’t say I’ve had a massive amount of sexual partners but bc I don’t like sex I do oral instead, and I know that can raise your risk of mouth cancer too 😪 but I had the hpv jab at school. Also since reading the thread on cervical cancer I’m worried I’ve got that too, always checking when I wipe for blood and like someone else posted on this one back along occasionally I get shooting pains in my vagina 😪 had a smear beginning of last year which was fine, it’s only since reading on here about it that I’m worried, I really need to stop reading the thread on it 😪 ETA it’s since I came off the implant in august I’m worried...before if I had irregular bleeding I could blame the Implant, now I’m soo worried I’m going to bleed mid cycle and it’ll be something sinister and there will be no reason 😪

Last edited:
So i have a lymph node on my neck that’s been up for years, and recently it went really small and I could barely feel it, this morning I wake up and it’s big and hard again 😪 and now I’ve been poking and prodding and now it’s seized up and I’m worried I can feel a mass around it and it’s jaw cancer 😪 I don’t know where this fear of jaw/mouth cancer has come from, never had anything wrong with my teeth, but in recent years I’ve become worried to go to the dentist in case he tells me there’s something wrong 🥺 I don’t drink or smoke, I have tried cigarettes and used to drink on a night out and whatever, I’m also worried about oral hpv, I wouldn’t say I’ve had a massive amount of sexual partners but bc I don’t like sex I do oral instead, and I know that can raise your risk of mouth cancer too 😪 but I had the hpv jab at school. Also since reading the thread on cervical cancer I’m worried I’ve got that too, always checking when I wipe for blood and like someone else posted on this one back along occasionally I get shooting pains in my vagina 😪 had a smear beginning of last year which was fine, it’s only since reading on here about it that I’m worried, I really need to stop reading the thread on it 😪
It's really easy for an anxious mind to convince yourself you have anything you read or think about! All I can suggest is compare to your other side. Compare your jaw to the other side to see if there is a difference. Remember that asymmetry can be totally normal too! Then if you are still worried contact a doctor or dentist. Really trying not to read about new conditions this week has helped me quite a bit so I'm going to try and build on this in future.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
So i have a lymph node on my neck that’s been up for years, and recently it went really small and I could barely feel it, this morning I wake up and it’s big and hard again 😪 and now I’ve been poking and prodding and now it’s seized up and I’m worried I can feel a mass around it and it’s jaw cancer 😪 I don’t know where this fear of jaw/mouth cancer has come from, never had anything wrong with my teeth, but in recent years I’ve become worried to go to the dentist in case he tells me there’s something wrong 🥺 I don’t drink or smoke, I have tried cigarettes and used to drink on a night out and whatever, I’m also worried about oral hpv, I wouldn’t say I’ve had a massive amount of sexual partners but bc I don’t like sex I do oral instead, and I know that can raise your risk of mouth cancer too 😪 but I had the hpv jab at school. Also since reading the thread on cervical cancer I’m worried I’ve got that too, always checking when I wipe for blood and like someone else posted on this one back along occasionally I get shooting pains in my vagina 😪 had a smear beginning of last year which was fine, it’s only since reading on here about it that I’m worried, I really need to stop reading the thread on it 😪 ETA it’s since I came off the implant in august I’m worried...before if I had irregular bleeding I could blame the Implant, now I’m soo worried I’m going to bleed mid cycle and it’ll be something sinister and there will be no reason 😪
I’ve been having a particularly anxious week also. I’ve had kidney pain and back pain and had some blood in my urine which sent me into overdrive, also some light headed dizzyspells which I almost think are anxiety related now. I never call the doctor as I just normally bury my head in the sand but I did and I have a kidney ultrasound tomorrow. Then tonight I wipe and have some very light spotting, not unusual for me as I’m on the mini pill but of course I’ve lost my mind this evening. I’ve been through the motions of kidney/cervical/bowel and ovarian cancer with the back pain, bloating and bleeding. I’ve been frantically googling the symptoms, going back and forwards between which one I think I have, I really spiralled into this pit of anxiety when it’s probably just PMS symptoms and a period. My friend tells me to tell myself ‘they are thoughts not facts’ when im spiralling, it works for a while. I’m a really level headed person normally and at the moment, I’m not sure if it’s covid/ lockdown related, my health anxiety is taking over. I completely get how you feel, it’s all consuming and totally exhausting☹

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I’ve been having a particularly anxious week also. I’ve had kidney pain and back pain and had some blood in my urine which sent me into overdrive, also some light headed dizzyspells which I almost think are anxiety related now. I never call the doctor as I just normally bury my head in the sand but I did and I have a kidney ultrasound tomorrow. Then tonight I wipe and have some very light spotting, not unusual for me as I’m on the mini pill but of course I’ve lost my mind this evening. I’ve been through the motions of kidney/cervical/bowel and ovarian cancer with the back pain, bloating and bleeding. I’ve been frantically googling the symptoms, going back and forwards between which one I think I have, I really spiralled into this pit of anxiety when it’s probably just PMS symptoms and a period. My friend tells me to tell myself ‘they are thoughts not facts’ when im spiralling, it works for a while. I’m a really level headed person normally and at the moment, I’m not sure if it’s covid/ lockdown related, my health anxiety is taking over. I completely get how you feel, it’s all consuming and totally exhausting☹
Aw fluffy I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this! Did they give you any indication what they thought the problem was? That’s a good way of looking at it, thoughts not facts, I like that!

Your body does all sorts of weird stuff and most of it is nothing to worry about. It's very hard to sit with uncertainty though, especially right now. Just remember that it's far more likely to be nothing than it is to be something worrying and you are doing the right thing to get it checked out

• Heart
Aw fluffy I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this! Did they give you any indication what they thought the problem was? That’s a good way of looking at it, thoughts not facts, I like that!
It was a phone appointment which I find even harder, potentially a renal colic/kidney stone but I don’t feel like the pain severe enough for that. I’m hoping that during my ultrasound tomorrow they will be able to reassure me that everything looks normal and I can relax for a few days..until I find my next thing to panic about!

It was a phone appointment which I find even harder, potentially a renal colic/kidney stone but I don’t feel like the pain severe enough for that. I’m hoping that during my ultrasound tomorrow they will be able to reassure me that everything looks normal and I can relax for a few days..until I find my next thing to panic about!
Do you often get kidney/ bladder trouble? Once they reassure you you’ll probably feel better than you think you will! I had to have a colonoscopy last year because I had bleeding and I was so so scared but once it happened and they confirmed I was fine I felt so much better! They’ll look after you, make sure to tell them you’re worried ❤ next time you feel worried, post your fears on here, we all want to help x

Currently on a downward spiral with health anxiety again. Started with back pain last week and then have been weeing constantly for two days with a lot of lower back pain. The sensible part of me says it’s a urine infection. The irrational part of me says I have ovarian cancer. It’s so draining and I can’t stop googling symptoms. Has lockdown made anyone else’s HA off the scale?
I'm only just reading this thread but I wanted to say that I could have literally written this myself. I've convinced myself recently that I have ovarian cancer as I've been having bad lower back pain. I think it's probably just hormonal or even more likely it's just stress. Hope you are ok xx

I used to suffer from recurrent UTI’s and even though I’ve never had blood, blood in the urine coupled with kidney pain can be a UTI so try not to worry! (Impossible I know).

I have severe health anxiety and I actually feel symptoms that aren’t there. Last year I was convinced I had kidney cancer as I had had pain located there but as soon as I got the test results saying all was fine and the pain went away in an instant! It is mad what our brains can to!! Good luck for tomorrow x

• Heart
I used to suffer from recurrent UTI’s and even though I’ve never had blood, blood in the urine coupled with kidney pain can be a UTI so try not to worry! (Impossible I know).

I have severe health anxiety and I actually feel symptoms that aren’t there. Last year I was convinced I had kidney cancer as I had had pain located there but as soon as I got the test results saying all was fine and the pain went away in an instant! It is mad what our brains can to!! Good luck for tomorrow x
To add to this along with my bleeding last year I had pain when I ate, barely happens now since I got my results!

• Heart
Do you often get kidney/ bladder trouble? Once they reassure you you’ll probably feel better than you think you will! I had to have a colonoscopy last year because I had bleeding and I was so so scared but once it happened and they confirmed I was fine I felt so much better! They’ll look after you, make sure to tell them you’re worried ❤ next time you feel worried, post your fears on here, we all want to help x
I dont which is the odd thing but I’ve just gone back to work after mat leave into a busy hospital ward and tbh I’ve not been looking after myself at all. I absolutely do not drink enough and I’ve worked 12 hour shifts without a wee at times so I know I’m silly and that’s probably why my kidneys are playing up! I love this thread, it makes me feel normal in the most abnormal way❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I dont which is the odd thing but I’ve just gone back to work after mat leave into a busy hospital ward and tbh I’ve not been looking after myself at all. I absolutely do not drink enough and I’ve worked 12 hour shifts without a wee at times so I know I’m silly and that’s probably why my kidneys are playing up! I love this thread, it makes me feel normal in the most abnormal way❤
Oh bless you! When I don’t drink enough I get little twinges in my side (sort of to remind me to drink!!)

I'm only just reading this thread but I wanted to say that I could have literally written this myself. I've convinced myself recently that I have ovarian cancer as I've been having bad lower back pain. I think it's probably just hormonal or even more likely it's just stress. Hope you are ok xx
Ah thank you. Our minds really do play tricks on us. Stress definitely has an impact on all the aches and pains we feel. I’ve had a bad week of googling and now convinced myself I have gallstones and a hernia. Even I know I’m being ridiculous but can’t stop googling.

Drink lots of water and get yourself a hot water bottle, feel better xx

@Fluffyducks how did you get on today??
So my kidney scan was all clear although I checked my wee at work and I have blood in it still, not visible but on a dipstick test. I felt better after the scan then had a really intense period of back pain followed by some spotting, I’m thinking this pain is gynae related and obviously my HA is making me think it’s sinister but I’m trying to keep a level head but tbh not really succeeding. I’m going to ring the GP Monday so discuss everything and asked to be physically seen I think☹ Thank you so much for asking❤

• Heart
So my kidney scan was all clear although I checked my wee at work and I have blood in it still, not visible but on a dipstick test. I felt better after the scan then had a really intense period of back pain followed by some spotting, I’m thinking this pain is gynae related and obviously my HA is making me think it’s sinister but I’m trying to keep a level head but tbh not really succeeding. I’m going to ring the GP Monday so discuss everything and asked to be physically seen I think☹ Thank you so much for asking❤
Glad the scan was clear! I was thinking of you x

Hi everyone! Had a really bad day today with my anxiety to the point I had a huge panic attack and had to sit with my boyfriend whilst he was working so I didn’t start again 🥺 I told myself a week ago I would leave the lump alone and stop worrying and touching it/prodding it and I was doing realy well until a few days in I was slowly starting to keep checking and therefore it was getting irritated and enlarging! I’m so drained and tired of thinking I’m ill and going to die I feel like I’m not living 🥺 Said I will call my GP tomorrow and end all of this worrying but my social anxiety and thought of going there and what happens next is just as scary 🥺

I also got invited for my Covid-19 injection which is something else to be anxious about 🙄 I’m so confused why because I’m 23, have no health conditions I can think of except as a baby I had a hole in my heart but it closed up when I got older so not sure how I’ve managed to get one?

Hi everyone! Had a really bad day today with my anxiety to the point I had a huge panic attack and had to sit with my boyfriend whilst he was working so I didn’t start again 🥺 I told myself a week ago I would leave the lump alone and stop worrying and touching it/prodding it and I was doing realy well until a few days in I was slowly starting to keep checking and therefore it was getting irritated and enlarging! I’m so drained and tired of thinking I’m ill and going to die I feel like I’m not living 🥺 Said I will call my GP tomorrow and end all of this worrying but my social anxiety and thought of going there and what happens next is just as scary 🥺

I also got invited for my Covid-19 injection which is something else to be anxious about 🙄 I’m so confused why because I’m 23, have no health conditions I can think of except as a baby I had a hole in my heart but it closed up when I got older so not sure how I’ve managed to get one?
Has something happened to trigger these feelings? Might be something minor that you wouldn’t necessarily think would trigger you? And I expect that’s why they’ve invited you for the jab! Probably just covering their backs 🙂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.