Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else suffer from health anxiety/used to be called hypochondria? I'm having a particularly difficult time of it recently and have sort of lost the ability to function due to the stress and obsession.

How do you handle real symptoms with doctors doing tests and things, when your health anxiety is also making you expect the worst constantly?

PS: No I'm not Gabby.

Reactions: 19
It's also a recognised form of OCD, there are some great sites out there that can help. Dr Schwartz is a harvard professor who has been an expert in his field for at least 3 decades.
He has written some great books that give fantastic advice too.
Also his website hope4ocd is most definitely worth a read, it is excellent and gives you the tools you need to deal with ODC
You can and will change this type of health obsession.
Virtual hug :)

Reactions: 10
I have had a huge amount of health anxiety and ocd from when I was young following my parents dying from cancer. What has helped me has been tit load of cbt, bereavement counselling (for about a year) and challenging my thoughts. I'm much better with it now though coronavirus did cause a massive flare up.

And never Google. If I have to google I always put "and anxiety" as that gives me a better search result.

Reactions: 18
I don't usually post but I've been waiting for a thread about health anxiety!

I originally had it about 10 years ago when I was 16, it lasted about a year but I soon managed it although still had slight ocd and general anxiety. Since covid it has returned and worse than ever. I just obsess over everything, the colour of my nails, anything on my skin etc.. I'm really struggling, sometimes I just can't get out of bed because I know ill look at anything and everything on my skin. Even a spot scares me it's ridiculous.

I'm sorry you're going through this too 😔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I don't usually post but I've been waiting for a thread about health anxiety!

I originally had it about 10 years ago when I was 16, it lasted about a year but I soon managed it although still had slight ocd and general anxiety. Since covid it has returned and worse than ever. I just obsess over everything, the colour of my nails, anything on my skin etc.. I'm really struggling, sometimes I just can't get out of bed because I know ill look at anything and everything on my skin. Even a spot scares me it's ridiculous.

I'm sorry you're going through this too 😔
Have you spoken to anyone about this? If not please speak to your Gp so they can refer you to support.

Reactions: 2
Following. I have health anxiety too - it was awful a couple of years ago then I kind of got over it and began to enjoy life again. Now it’s been back during lockdown and it’s making me miserable 😢 glad I’m not the only one xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Following. I have health anxiety too - it was awful a couple of years ago then I kind of got over it and began to enjoy life again. Now it’s been back during lockdown and it’s making me miserable 😢 glad I’m not the only one xxx
There has been a huge increase in people suffering from health anixety durning Covid. I'm guessing when things start returning to some kind of normality again that people's very understandable anixety will start to improve too. Sorry to hear you're going through this also.x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yes, I had a swelling appear on my body that was unexplained and disappeared after a week. Doctors could find no reason for it. That triggered awful health anxiety and I would spend hours googling symptoms and self diagnosing. I barely slept and convinced myself I was dying. It was an awful time. I saw a lovely GP who told me in no uncertain terms to stay away from google. I never look online now for anything related to health but the anxiety is always there, I think because my mother died at a young age too.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I appreciate the responses, although am sorry others are also struggling with this!

I have had CBT for OCD in the past, about 7 years ago, but it didnt help so I'm hesitant to try more CBT - but I've never said no to any therapy I've been offered so would probably give it another go.

You've made me think, though; when I was younger my OCD first seriously appeared as an eating disorder following a sexual assault, and eventually sort of changed into a cleanliness thing which made it impossible to live with anyone. My partner has recently moved in, something I never thought would happen because of my issues around order and control in my space, so I'm wondering if my OCD is now taking the form of health anxiety because I've lost some control of my flat. Why do brains always have to find SOMETHING to be anxious about?

Agree with never Googling! I'm reading a CBT-based self help book about health anxiety but most of what it talks about involves symptoms of anxiety rather than what happens when illness really occurs. I can reassure myself with chest pains and stuff because I know they're a symptom of anxiety and/or something I've eaten (and I've had an ECG, haha) but when physical issues pop up for the first time, it's really hard to not freak out.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm on my 5th round of cbt, like you I never rated it or felt it helpful but this time round it is helping a bit. But I was told that cbt can only go so far if there is underlying trauma and that its best to deal with that through counselling then try cbt again. It sounds like there are some issues over control and being frightened of losing control, I'm just basing this on my experience so I could be wrong but it might be worth looking into those?

IMG_20200809_101541.jpg

I've found this book really helpful too.

• Heart
Does anyone else suffer from health anxiety/used to be called hypochondria? I'm having a particularly difficult time of it recently and have sort of lost the ability to function due to the stress and obsession.

How do you handle real symptoms with doctors doing tests and things, when your health anxiety is also making you expect the worst constantly?

PS: No I'm not Gabby.
I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy yesterday because I’ve spent a year worrying about bowel cancer 😪😪 I’ve been worried about my health since I was 3 years old 💔 funny this thread pops up when I need it most! Hope you’re okay, feel free to message me ❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy yesterday because I’ve spent a year worrying about bowel cancer 😪😪 I’ve been worried about my health since I was 3 years old 💔 funny this thread pops up when I need it most! Hope you’re okay, feel free to message me ❤❤
I'm sorry you've been worrying for such a long time about this stuff. Are you a sensitive person in general? I feel very aware of every tiny change and sensation in my body (and am autistic so very sensitive to everything outside my body too!) I hope your test yesterday wasn't too difficult for you and the results come back quickly with good news for you.

Why do brains always have to find SOMETHING to be anxious about?
THIS! My brain just never bloody shuts up. I'm just sick of it all. Constant anxiety, constantly feeling scared and frightened and just feeling stupid and pathetic and useless 😢

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm sorry you've been worrying for such a long time about this stuff. Are you a sensitive person in general? I feel very aware of every tiny change and sensation in my body (and am autistic so very sensitive to everything outside my body too!) I hope your test yesterday wasn't too difficult for you and the results come back quickly with good news for you.
Yeah anxious mainly about health! I’m not autistic but I can imagine that makes it a lot harder to cope with ☹ They seemed to think so, I had a polyp removed but the doctor wasn’t worried about it being cancerous but as procedure send them off to be biopsied, so although I KNOW it’s going to be fine my mind is still saying ‘well it still might be cancerous’ so I’m still having a tough time to be honest 😪

• Sad
THIS! My brain just never bloody shuts up. I'm just sick of it all. Constant anxiety, constantly feeling scared and frightened and just feeling stupid and pathetic and useless 😢
Totally relate. It feels like if it's not health, it's money, or thinking someone's going to break into my flat, or thinking about my partner dying one day - it makes me worry that I'll never be able to enjoy life because one day I'll have to deal with someone dying! Obviously it's a brain thing because other people manage to enjoy life in spite of that, but when you're in that mindset it's just so hard to imagine relaxing ever again. Do you go through phases? I am definitely more able to enjoy simple things right now than I was a few days ago, even though my situation isn't that different, so things can change really quickly in that sense.

Yeah anxious mainly about health! I’m not autistic but I can imagine that makes it a lot harder to cope with ☹ They seemed to think so, I had a polyp removed but the doctor wasn’t worried about it being cancerous but as procedure send them off to be biopsied, so although I KNOW it’s going to be fine my mind is still saying ‘well it still might be cancerous’ so I’m still having a tough time to be honest 😪
Do you think you'll be reassured when you get the results back and it's good news? I hope so. It seems to be a symptom of health anxiety to look for reassurance and then the relief only lasts a short time before you start worrying again, but it's great if you can get a clear answer and have peace of mind. I found having an ECG for chest pains reassuring in that way, whereas blood tests usually don't reassure me much because I feel like I'm still looking for an explanation for stuff if that makes sense.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Totally relate. It feels like if it's not health, it's money, or thinking someone's going to break into my flat, or thinking about my partner dying one day - it makes me worry that I'll never be able to enjoy life because one day I'll have to deal with someone dying! Obviously it's a brain thing because other people manage to enjoy life in spite of that, but when you're in that mindset it's just so hard to imagine relaxing ever again. Do you go through phases? I am definitely more able to enjoy simple things right now than I was a few days ago, even though my situation isn't that different, so things can change really quickly in that sense.
I know exactly what you mean. I know that my anxiety all stems from childhood as I had a horribly abusive upbringing, physically and mentally.
I've had a bad couple of years health wise and the whole Covid thing has really ramped up my anxiety.

The last time I can remember feeling really relaxed is when I was on holiday in Portugal two years ago. We were supposed to go back in May, but obviously that didn't happen.

I am going for therapy at the moment (missed it a lot when I couldn't see her due to Covid restrictions) The lady I go to is a psychotherapist and I do find her really good. I pay to see her privately though.
I did have 6 (8? not sure) free sessions with someone else before, but really didn't find her any good at all. My current lady knows exactly what's going on in my head and knows what I'm going to say before I even say it.

I hate being like this all the time though. I'd love to just be happy and carefree. I know everyone worries and is anxious from time to time, but it's horrible when it's this extreme 😟

I've only back with my therapist for two sessions recently so hopefully in another few weeks I'll be feeling a bit better.

• Heart

Do you think you'll be reassured when you get the results back and it's good news? I hope so. It seems to be a symptom of health anxiety to look for reassurance and then the relief only lasts a short time before you start worrying again, but it's great if you can get a clear answer and have peace of mind. I found having an ECG for chest pains reassuring in that way, whereas blood tests usually don't reassure me much because I feel like I'm still looking for an explanation for stuff if that makes sense.
Yes although I’m very aware it’s only a matter of time till the next thing to worry about comes up 😪 Oh yeah definitely, I feel your pain, I also had a blood test two weeks ago as part of this testing and I was reassured for all of one second before I started thinking ‘what if they got the test results mixed up?’ It’s horrible 😪 but you know, anxiety is our comfort blanket, that’s why our minds go from one thing to the next, it’s familiar and comfortable x

I've felt like I've had health anxiety for a few years now, ever since I ended up back in hospital the day after I got my twins home from NICU. I worry about every little thing and instantly think the worst health wise. It wasn't helped that January last year a newly qualified GP diagnosed me with something unpleasant. She should have referred me for a second opinion but didn't. I eventually got a hospital referral to be told there was nothing wrong with me and there was a perfectly simple explanation. I had worried for months! I'm not rational with illness anymore and spend so much time worrying. Then covid comes along and it just goes from bad to worse.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.