Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ugh - I think I've come down with a UTI - for the past day or so, I've had a constant low-level feeling of needing to pee and am frequently urinating lol. Trying to consume lots of water. It's not painful but distracting and worried I will have trouble falling asleep. It doesn't help that my anxiety is convinced that I have permanent bladder damage or that it won't go away lol.

Does anyone else get this? I've experienced this before I am sure but pretty sure it went away after a few days max.
I went through a period of this a few weeks ago. I was worrying myself stupid over my first smear and then a colposcopy, but the second I had both of those things done, it seemed to go away. I've now put it down to anxiety and my mind fixating on it (I often find that when I think I have a problem in a particular area then I almost imagine feelings and pains in that place). I did take a few cranberry sachets though, simply as a placebo i think

**Sorry! Have just read further down and seen about your antibiotics!*

Reactions: 1
I've been going through these comments for someone to mention women's bits etc. I'm the same, high anxiety due to becoming a full time carer to a family member at home who in everyone apart from medical staff needs to return to the hospital or the care home. It's 24/7. anyway I've been having 5 periods in one month, my anxiety has gone through the roof. Gone off food just no appetite,actually being physically sick (not me), sleeping (when I'm not getting shouted) is erratic. Any little pain I convince myself I'm dying. I've broken down as I'm emotionally and physically exhausted but because my family member has four daily carers in (he refuses everything they ask what he might want) he just wants me to do it. He screams my cat during all hours of the night. Wheels his wheelchair to face the wall all day. Anyway I've tried to get help but nothing and it's making my whole body drained and my mind work overtime. Google is the worst thing to do.
Is there any alternatives for you to consider? this sounds really bad. He sounds like he needs a full time place in a nursing home. You dont have to put up with this at all.X

Does anyone else suffer from health anxiety/used to be called hypochondria? I'm having a particularly difficult time of it recently and have sort of lost the ability to function due to the stress and obsession.

How do you handle real symptoms with doctors doing tests and things, when your health anxiety is also making you expect the worst constantly?

PS: No I'm not Gabby.
Yes, I have really bad cibophobia/possible OCD and used to be quite a hypochondriac! I try to focus my mind on other things and take baby steps towards doing/eating things that worry me. I really need to get some blood tests done for a possible B12 deficiency, so I'm hoping that the intensity of my stress is somehow linked to that instead of a permanent fixture ... 😬 😬

I've felt like I've had health anxiety for a few years now, ever since I ended up back in hospital the day after I got my twins home from NICU. I worry about every little thing and instantly think the worst health wise. It wasn't helped that January last year a newly qualified GP diagnosed me with something unpleasant. She should have referred me for a second opinion but didn't. I eventually got a hospital referral to be told there was nothing wrong with me and there was a perfectly simple explanation. I had worried for months! I'm not rational with illness anymore and spend so much time worrying. Then covid comes along and it just goes from bad to worse.
That's awful, I'm sorry you had to go through all of that stress and worry! I would feel the same, and seems quite unprofessional for the GP to put you through that !

I've had health anxiety for over 10 years now. I thought with covid I'd be a mess but constantly worrying about things it feels like a relief like there's no point worrying cos it's here?? Does that make sense 🤔 I spent the first year of having HA only sleeping when I was exhausted, after being awake all night having panic attacks. I've come so far now and they don't happen so often. The last one I was able to talk myself out of when I went blind in one eye off a migrane 😂

Reactions: 3
Hi everyone! Need some advice. In 2017 I found a lump, went through all the motions and found out it was a fibroadenoma and it would come and go with hormones, ect ect. In January 2020 my mum passed away suddenly and ever since every little thing I feel like I’m dieing! In December I convinced myself I had cervical cancer because I was bleeding. Turns out it was my contraceptive implant so had it removed, all fine now! But now I’m convincing myself I have breast cancer. My right breast has been throbbing and I check them everyday for lumps! Had a panic attack that I found one and a smaller one, they are smooth, grape sized and seem to come and go/move which sounds like what I had before but I keep convincing myself I have cancer 😭 I always Google and make myself feel worse, thought I had back pain on the same side so convinced myself again! I also worry about dieing constantly and can’t seem to stop!

Reactions: 2
Hi everyone! Need some advice. In 2017 I found a lump, went through all the motions and found out it was a fibroadenoma and it would come and go with hormones, ect ect. In January 2020 my mum passed away suddenly and ever since every little thing I feel like I’m dieing! In December I convinced myself I had cervical cancer because I was bleeding. Turns out it was my contraceptive implant so had it removed, all fine now! But now I’m convincing myself I have breast cancer. My right breast has been throbbing and I check them everyday for lumps! Had a panic attack that I found one and a smaller one, they are smooth, grape sized and seem to come and go/move which sounds like what I had before but I keep convinving myself I have cancer 😭 I always Google and make myself feel worse, thought I had back pain on the same side so convinced myself again! I also worry about dieing constantly and can’t seem to stop!
I am feeling exactly the same as you atm! All day every day it’s a battle to not check myself! Doesn’t help my boobs are lumpy all over 🥺 had them checked in 2017 but as time goes on I worry something will pop up that wasn’t there then 😪 but it is reassuring if they are smooth and move easily! I get shoulder/chest pain on one side sometimes (it tends to happen when I’m anxious or stressed) but I stupidly googled shoulder pain breast cancer now I’m terrified 😪😪 but I have had the pain for a while and it only happens when I’m anxious or stressed so the logical part of me says it’s that☹ Sorry to hear about your mum❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I am feeling exactly the same as you atm! Doesn’t help my boobs are lumpy all over 🥺 had them checked in 2017 but as time goes on I worry something will pop up that wasn’t there then 😪 but it is reassuring if they are smooth and move easily! I get shoulder/chest pain on one side sometimes (it tends to happen when I’m anxious or stressed) but I stupidly googled shoulder pain breast cancer now I’m terrified 😪😪 but I have had the pain for a while and it only happens when I’m anxious or stressed so the logical part of me says it’s that☹ Sorry to hear about your mum❤
So sorry you’re going through this too, wish I could give you a cuddle ❤ That’s true, I think if it’s not there, we talk ourselves into thinking it is there or the stress causes us to have xyz! There’s nothing else to do but think atm (I’m furloughed), if life was back to normal I wouldn’t be thinking about it or even notice if there was pain! Thank you! ❤

• Heart
So sorry you’re going through this too, wish I could give you a cuddle ❤ That’s true, I think if it’s not there, we talk ourselves into thinking it is there or the stress causes us to have xyz! There’s nothing else to do but think atm (I’m furloughed), if life was back to normal I wouldn’t be thinking about it or even notice if there was pain! Thank you! ❤
Yes I know how you feel with the furlough thing! I definitely believe if you look for something you’ll find it! I thought I could feel a lump in December, now I’ve moved onto another area to worry about I can barely find it! Have you ever spoken to a dr or counsellor about your mums passing? My health anxiety definitely got worse after my grandads died in 2018, I haven’t felt the same since 💔

Yes I know how you feel with the furlough thing! I definitely believe if you look for something you’ll find it! I thought I could feel a lump in December, now I’ve moved onto another area to worry about I can barely find it! Have you ever spoken to a dr or counsellor about your mums passing? My health anxiety definitely got worse after my grandads died in 2018, I haven’t felt the same since 💔
So true! Today I found one that wasn’t there yesterday and now it’s gone? I honestly think it’s phantom! Not once! I used to go to counselling in 2017/2018 for general anxiety but haven’t since my mum! I just don’t want to annoy the NHS with anything at the minute, I feel guilty! My anxiety also makes me anxious to go to doctors ect and go to counselling. I’m so sorry for your loss! I think when someone close to you dies it heightens the whole idea of death, combined with a pandemic when death is being shoved in our faces constantly with death updates, lots more funeral/life insurance adverts, you can’t escape it! I really hope you find some peace soon ❤

• Heart
So true! Today I found one that wasn’t there yesterday and now it’s gone? I honestly think it’s phantom! Not once! I used to go to counselling in 2017/2018 for general anxiety but haven’t since my mum! I just don’t want to annoy the NHS with anything at the minute, I feel guilty! My anxiety also makes me anxious to go to doctors ect and go to counselling. I’m so sorry for your loss! I think when someone close to you dies it heightens the whole idea of death, combined with a pandemic when death is being shoved in our faces constantly with death updates, lots more funeral/life insurance adverts, you can’t escape it! I really hope you find some peace soon ❤
Also, touching and poking one area I swear makes lumps seize up so bare that in mind too! I understand what you’re saying about the NHS at the moment, I don’t know where you are and I know the nhs is overwhelmed right now in some areas but your feelings are valid too! Especially because you’re on furlough, it’s not good for you to just be worrying, I wish I could help you more! But please don’t think it’s wasting anyone’s time to get help, mental health is just is important as physical health! A lot of private counsellors are offering phone sessions if thats something you’re financially able to do? I agree about the death thing, I tell you what I don’t like, all these adverts on telly about cancer services and when you read in the paper cases are being missed I just can’t deal with it! I hope you find peace too ❤ It’s so hard and all we can do right now is just try and make it through the worst of times x

Also, touching and poking one area I swear makes lumps seize up so bare that in mind too! I understand what you’re saying about the NHS at the moment, I don’t know where you are and I know the nhs is overwhelmed right now in some areas but your feelings are valid too! Especially because you’re on furlough, it’s not good for you to just be worrying, I wish I could help you more! But please don’t think it’s wasting anyone’s time to get help, mental health is just is important as physical health! A lot of private counsellors are offering phone sessions if thats something you’re financially able to do? I agree about the death thing, I tell you what I don’t like, all these adverts on telly about cancer services and when you read in the paper cases are being missed I just can’t deal with it! I hope you find peace too ❤ It’s so hard and all we can do right now is just try and make it through the worst of times x
Very true! I’m in an area where they have found the new South African variant (two cases a few roads away from mine) so it’s all abit crazy! I know wish we could message somehow! My brother is having phone sessions and finding it really helpful! Yes! They might aswell say if you have it, you aren’t going to get seen so just don’t bother and it’s horrible! Thank you so much you’ve eased my mind for sure 🥺❤

• Heart
In regard to breast lumps this used to be my go to with my health anxiety. I would find lumps every day and check myself literally every 20 minutes. I would make myself so so sore. I wouldn't eat because I'd be so anxious i didn't even notice I wasn't eating.

I had many many trip to the doctors about lumps before I knew I had health anxiety and I had a great doctor. She told me that most people tend to feel things with the tip of their finger which is wrong. It will ALWAYS feel bigger with the tip of your finger (like feeling something with your tongue) and you should feel with the flat of the fingers. She also told me that prodding and picking will cause normal breast lumps and bumps (mine are lumpy) to enlarge and become painful. She also told me cancerous breats lumps are usually incredibly obvious and will stick out like a sore thumb.

One way that helped me was to check for a similar feeling lump on the other breast. I got obsessed with the area around nipple once but once i felt the same the other side I know i was feeling ducts. It also helped me to look up breast anatomy.. like what the inside looks like. You can then see how these are grape like.

The main thing that helped me was having my amazing mum who is so patient and understanding check me. We made a deal that i wouldn't check myself and she would check me as often as I needed and take the responsibility. This was a game changer in dealing with health anxiety I swear. At first she was checking me every 20 mins..then every hour.. then twice a day, before work and after work. It meant at work I could hold on until I got home. I would sometimes not be able to resist but I would tell her that I found something when I got home and she would check for me. Eventually it became less frequent and now its my mum that asks me if I need her to check and I completely forget!. She still checks me once every 3 months but we are now going to get me to check myself straight after she has checked dos I can do it properly and safely.

Although I will always have health anxiety it is so far in the back of my mind now and does not have bearing on my everyday life anymore. I fully understand it and breast lumps were such a thing for me (and other sufferers) because they are hidden. You cannot see them, the same with cervix issues. Part of the reason of having health anxiety for me is a sudden event that came out of nowhere and completely shocked me. It manifested into finding things wrong with me that I couldn't see so I would try to find them so they couldn't surprise me and I would be in control this time.

..sorry for the log post but it hurts my heart to read your posts and I just hope you all have someone in your lives that can help you the way my mum did for me xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
In regard to breast lumps this used to be my go to with my health anxiety. I would find lumps every day and check myself literally every 20 minutes. I would make myself so so sore. I wouldn't eat because I'd be so anxious i didn't even notice I wasn't eating.

I had many many trip to the doctors about lumps before I knew I had health anxiety and I had a great doctor. She told me that most people tend to feel things with the tip of their finger which is wrong. It will ALWAYS feel bigger with the tip of your finger (like feeling something with your tongue) and you should feel with the flat of the fingers. She also told me that prodding and picking will cause normal breast lumps and bumps (mine are lumpy) to enlarge and become painful. She also told me cancerous breats lumps are usually incredibly obvious and will stick out like a sore thumb.

One way that helped me was to check for a similar feeling lump on the other breast. I got obsessed with the area around nipple once but once i felt the same the other side I know i was feeling ducts. It also helped me to look up breast anatomy.. like what the inside looks like. You can then see how these are grape like.

The main thing that helped me was having my amazing mum who is so patient and understanding check me. We made a deal that i wouldn't check myself and she would check me as often as I needed and take the responsibility. This was a game changer in dealing with health anxiety I swear. At first she was checking me every 20 mins..then every hour.. then twice a day, before work and after work. It meant at work I could hold on until I got home. I would sometimes not be able to resist but I would tell her that I found something when I got home and she would check for me. Eventually it became less frequent and now its my mum that asks me if I need her to check and I completely forget!. She still checks me once every 3 months but we are now going to get me to check myself straight after she has checked dos I can do it properly and safely.

Although I will always have health anxiety it is so far in the back of my mind now and does not have bearing on my everyday life anymore. I fully understand it and breast lumps were such a thing for me (and other sufferers) because they are hidden. You cannot see them, the same with cervix issues. Part of the reason of having health anxiety for me is a sudden event that came out of nowhere and completely shocked me. It manifested into finding things wrong with me that I couldn't see so I would try to find them so they couldn't surprise me and I would be in control this time.

..sorry for the log post but it hurts my heart to read your posts and I just hope you all have someone in your lives that can help you the way my mum did for me xxx
Omg this made so much sense and has really helped me, I could cry 🥺 what you said about the control! It’s like a lightbulb moment! Life is so out of control at the minute so I need to control something! I also have OCD which I think comes from wanting control! I’m just a mess at this point 😅😭 Don’t apologise for the long post - it’s so lovely to have someone care enough to even say anything! I appreciate every word you said! Also love what you said about your mum ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Omg this made so much sense and has really helped me, I could cry 🥺 what you said about the control! It’s like a lightbulb moment! Life is so out of control at the minute so I need to control something! I also have OCD which I think comes from wanting control! I’m just a mess at this point 😅😭 Don’t apologise for the long post - it’s so lovely to have someone care enough to even say anything! I appreciate every word you said! Also love what you said about your mum ❤
Thank you so much and I'm so glad it has helped you!. Part of recovering(not sure if that's the right word?) From health anxiety is trying to figure out what started it for you. What event happened in your life to feel like you were out of control?. Not to sound too much like a therapist but im pretty self aware and totally get where mine comes from. That helped me to identify the triggers. Stop googling, stop reading about people with health issues or thinking every health related tv advert is a sign that you may have what they are talking about!. Look for forums of support like this one!.

One of my triggers was a happy event. For instance before going on holiday I would find something and it would totally ruin my holiday. Now I get my mum to check me before I go on holiday so I don't have to do it!.

OCD often goes hand in hand with anxiety. Another thing i learnt is that the things I find are BECAUSE of my health anxiety not because I have that particular disease/issue. My health anxiety is making me almost want to find something so I know there's something and I'm 100% in control. Hopefully that makes sense to you.

There are ways to get back to your normal life without health anxiety I swear!. I am proof of that. 2-3 years ago i Was so bad I felt like I needed committing somewhere. I can't believe where I'm at today!

Sounds cheesy but after having health anxiety and coming through the other side I am so self aware and I 100% know myself and just what I am capable of. Il never doubt myself or my mental strength again.

Please take some deep breaths and try to relax yourself. Try to sleep! If I think of anything else that has helped me I will be sure to watch this forum and update Xx

Reactions: 4
I’m so sorry you feel this way! I can’t offer you any words of advice because I feel exactly the same! Breast and skin cancer are what I also fixate on! Ive promised myself that if the feelings don’t subside in the new year I’ll go to the GP to discuss. Have you ever seen anyone about your health anxiety?
It’s horrible to know that other people feel this way but at the same time I find it a little calming knowing it’s not just me.
I saw someone a few years ago for CBT, but I didn't find it particularly helpful. The therapist would ask me to list all the different explanations for my health worry and then rank them all from most to least likely. The issue with health anxiety is that it causes us to think irrationally, and I constantly think "I'm dying" or "I have a disease" even if my thought process is irrational. I would definitely be open to trying therapy again though and think it can be extremely helpful for a lot of people.

I completely agree with what another poster said about wanting to have something to worry about. It sounds odd, but I've been consumed by worry for so long that I almost feel uneasy when I don't have something to worry about..it's almost as if worrying is kind of comforting?!

Also, I prefer to show/have a bath without the light on because I get so nervous that I'll see something suspicious like a marking/spot/swelling on my body. Realising when typing that out how ridiculous that sounds!

I keep going through waves of “I’m fine, it’s nothing, it’s my anxiety” to “No I have breast cancer, I’m going to die, that lump I felt was more like a tumour”. It just makes me feel miserable 😭 I’m scared to have baths/showers because I know I’ll start checking. I did this before and the lump I was worried about is gone? But is it gone? It’s such a draining cycle 😭

I keep going through waves of “I’m fine, it’s nothing, it’s my anxiety” to “No I have breast cancer, I’m going to die, that lump I felt was more like a tumour”. It just makes me feel miserable 😭 I’m scared to have baths/showers because I know I’ll start checking. I did this before and the lump I was worried about is gone? But is it gone? It’s such a draining cycle 😭
Recently I’ve been doing literally anything to keep my hands and mind busy, normally in the form of baking/cooking and listening to music to distract my mind, are they doable for you? I feel exactly the same as you, we could be the same person! I’m dreading showers and baths atm 🥺 but stay strong, we got this ❤

Recently I’ve been doing literally anything to keep my hands and mind busy, normally in the form of baking/cooking and listening to music to distract my mind, are they doable for you? I feel exactly the same as you, we could be the same person! I’m dreading showers and baths atm 🥺 but stay strong, we got this ❤
I found it again in the shower but I think because it keeps moving and I can’t find it, it’s a good sign it’s just normal! But yes I need to stop I literally touch them 100 times a day 🥺 They are some good ideas! When I’m busy I’m not thinking about it as much! Omg you are not alone, please message me anytime, we got this sister ❤

• Heart
I found it again in the shower but I think because it keeps moving and I can’t find it, it’s a good sign it’s just normal! But yes I need to stop I literally touch them 100 times a day 🥺 They are some good ideas! When I’m busy I’m not thinking about it as much! Omg you are not alone, please message me anytime, we got this sister ❤
Also to add don’t think you can feel it ‘better’ if you feel through clothes... that is the worst idea I’ve ever had ☹ They will feel 10 times bigger and harder than if you just check bare skin x

Also to add don’t think you can feel it ‘better’ if you feel through clothes... that is the worst idea I’ve ever had ☹ They will feel 10 times bigger and harder than if you just check bare skin x
Yes! Or I have to have wet hands ect to feel things. It’s horrible! Who knows we might be imagining it or making it seem worse than it is! Xxx

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.