Health Anxiety

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s so scary isn’t it. 😔. I’ve got walking pneumonia right now and I’ve had to have two covid tests. Both neg. (would still think they are false even if I had a 10000000 negatives). My brother who throughout this entire pandemic has done whatever he likes has walked into our house three days in a row now he went to about 5 houses on Christmas Day travelled to tier 2 twice with his mates for Christmas drinks was in two of his friends’ new cars and had Christmas lunch with my very frail 80 year old nan!! They think he’s being safe though so let him go 😔 it’s really really scaring me now I sit with a mask on when he comes absolutely sweating and when he goes I have to disinfect the whole house and even then I’m still scared incase it’s floating or is on my dogs! I am petrified to
My core. I told him the first time he came I have pneumonia and he’s continued to come which proves he doesn’t give a tit
I so know what you mean - im waiting on my husbands test and I know if its negative I'll just think it's not had enough time, or we'll need to do another in a few days ffs.

Wow, this thread has been seriously eye opening for me. I've always known that I could have some form of health anxiety, since a child I have always checked my body most evenings for new lumps, bumps etc. A major part of my routine has been meticulously googling different web pages seeking guidance on many different illnesses. I never realised the link between this and OCD:cry: although it is horrible and controls a massive part of my life, I feel so much better knowing others go through this and I'm not so alone with it😟
I think the two are so closely linked - im sure I have a form of OCD but never really looked into it. My health anxiety has got steadily worse and worse - it's overbearing - I do the googling as well - it definitely sounds like health anxiety to me (sorry!)

I'm an alcoholic, and here is South Africa, the president announced an outright ban of the sale, distribution and drinking (in public places) of booze for the next 2 or 3 weeks. Which means I can't get my "fix" even though I am trying very hard to give it up.

I usually drink at least 1 bottle of white every day, sometimes 2 with ease. But now that shops are no longer allowed to sell any alcohol I am going into another slow meltdown. And I know I won't be able to hang on until the ban is lifted mid-January.

I don't know which is worse: the threat of testing positive for Covid; or not being able to drink for 16 more days. :mad:
This sounds really tough - stupid question possibly but are you able to order any online? Or even from overseas?

Reactions: 2
I so know what you mean - im waiting on my husbands test and I know if its negative I'll just think it's not had enough time, or we'll need to do another in a few days ffs.

I think the two are so closely linked - im sure I have a form of OCD but never really looked into it. My health anxiety has got steadily worse and worse - it's overbearing - I do the googling as well - it definitely sounds like health anxiety to me (sorry!)

This sounds really tough - stupid question possibly but are you able to order any online? Or even from overseas?
Online supermarkets don't allow buying booze; but I haven't considered overseas - unless the SA government have told customs to ban imports. Will check it it out. thanks

I just wanted to say how helpful this thread has been, if only for making me feel not so alone.

I’m living with OCD and health anxiety (more centred ones than myself) is one of its major manifestations. I’m going through a particularly bad patch at the moment which has been exacerbated by endless googling.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
i am on the opposite side of the spectrum - i never think there's anything wrong with me until i'm literally fainting - but i think my bf might be suffering with hypochondria. what would you say would be the most helpful thing to do? what would you want your partner to do for you?

Reactions: 1
Currently on a downward spiral with health anxiety again. Started with back pain last week and then have been weeing constantly for two days with a lot of lower back pain. The sensible part of me says it’s a urine infection. The irrational part of me says I have ovarian cancer. It’s so draining and I can’t stop googling symptoms. Has lockdown made anyone else’s HA off the scale?

Reactions: 5
Currently on a downward spiral with health anxiety again. Started with back pain last week and then have been weeing constantly for two days with a lot of lower back pain. The sensible part of me says it’s a urine infection. The irrational part of me says I have ovarian cancer. It’s so draining and I can’t stop googling symptoms. Has lockdown made anyone else’s HA off the scale?
I’m sorry you’re feeling this way! ☹ Have you been sitting/standing more than usual recently? Or sleeping funny? My back hurts at the slightest thing, also I wee loads when I’m anxious too ☹ You could try drinking more water which I know would make you wee more in the short term but might help you to flush infection out? I’m struggling atm too...i was itchy down there after checking why I felt a bit tender and I started worrying about Vulval cancer, so I checked and checked and found some weird lumps down there, but I wouldn’t have found them if I hadn’t have been intensely checking, I’m also worried about my boobs, I’m terrified I’m going to feel a lump and I’m worried I can feel one atm 😪 but I’m due on in the next two weeks or so and my boobs hurt already from pms so maybe they’re just lumpy from that 😪

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way! ☹ Have you been sitting/standing more than usual recently? Or sleeping funny? My back hurts at the slightest thing, also I wee loads when I’m anxious too ☹ You could try drinking more water which I know would make you wee more in the short term but might help you to flush infection out? I’m struggling atm too...i was itchy down there after checking why I felt a bit tender and I started worrying about Vulval cancer, so I checked and checked and found some weird lumps down there, but I wouldn’t have found them if I hadn’t have been intensely checking, I’m also worried about my boobs, I’m terrified I’m going to feel a lump and I’m worried I can feel one atm 😪 but I’m due on in the next two weeks or so and my boobs hurt already from pms so maybe they’re just lumpy from that 😪
Oh it’s so draining isn’t it 😔 thank you, I have been drinking lots of water to try and flush anything out. I’m working from home so hunched over the dining table a lot which doesn’t help. I just find it hard not to Google any little thing and self diagnose. I think the problem is that so many cancer symptoms can fit and it’s easy to convince yourself that’s what it is.

I’m sure your time of the month has a lot to do with any lumps and like you say without the intense checking you probably wouldn’t even notice anything. It’s such a nightmare living with this stress and worry.

• Heart
Oh it’s so draining isn’t it 😔 thank you, I have been drinking lots of water to try and flush anything out. I’m working from home so hunched over the dining table a lot which doesn’t help. I just find it hard not to Google any little thing and self diagnose. I think the problem is that so many cancer symptoms can fit and it’s easy to convince yourself that’s what it is.

I’m sure your time of the month has a lot to do with any lumps and like you say without the intense checking you probably wouldn’t even notice anything. It’s such a nightmare living with this stress and worry.
May I suggest a hot water bottle for your back? Yeah I get you, I literally have to fight the urge to google 😪 my problem is I can’t tell if the lumps were always there or if they’re new, it’s so hard to tell 😪 my gut says they were already there but who knows

• Sad
i am on the opposite side of the spectrum - i never think there's anything wrong with me until i'm literally fainting - but i think my bf might be suffering with hypochondria. what would you say would be the most helpful thing to do? what would you want your partner to do for you?
Don’t tell him he’s being ridiculous, laugh at him or tell him to stop worrying. People with any type of anxiety will not stop worrying just because they are told to stop. At the same time also don’t tell him scare stories.
Just be there to listen to him. Has there been any suggestion on his part that he may have health anxiety or is it something you have noticed?

Don’t tell him he’s being ridiculous, laugh at him or tell him to stop worrying. People with any type of anxiety will not stop worrying just because they are told to stop. At the same time also don’t tell him scare stories.
Just be there to listen to him. Has there been any suggestion on his part that he may have health anxiety or is it something you have noticed?
i am a very anxious person so i know telling someone to just stop worrying is the least helpful thing to do 😂
well first it was something i noticed but then he also started talking about it. his mom and grandma are the same - not sure if this is connected
i usually just talk him through it and explain things as logically as i can. i'd like to be as helpful as possible

i am a very anxious person so i know telling someone to just stop worrying is the least helpful thing to do 😂
well first it was something i noticed but then he also started talking about it. his mom and grandma are the same - not sure if this is connected
i usually just talk him through it and explain things as logically as i can. i'd like to be as helpful as possible
It sounds like you are being very helpful already :)

• Heart
May I suggest a hot water bottle for your back? Yeah I get you, I literally have to fight the urge to google 😪 my problem is I can’t tell if the lumps were always there or if they’re new, it’s so hard to tell 😪 my gut says they were already there but who knows
Thank you, I will try a hot water bottle definitely. Hope you are feeling better today x

• Heart
Thank you, I will try a hot water bottle definitely. Hope you are feeling better today x
I was okay but I’ve gone downhill this eve after finding a new freckle, since tracked down a picture that shows I’ve had it since November at least ☹ How are you feeling today HappyValley? X

• Sad
Really sorry to everyone struggling at the minute 😟

I rarely post but my anxiety is getting bad again. I have really itchy legs but no rash or reason as to why! It’s making me so anxious, I worry I have lymphoma or something like that. Can’t get it out of my mind😫

I rarely post but my anxiety is getting bad again. I have really itchy legs but no rash or reason as to why! It’s making me so anxious, I worry I have lymphoma or something like that. Can’t get it out of my mind😫
Have you had the heating on more? Lots of dry skin this time of year! Maybe try some e45 or something? I’ve had problems with itching recently, it’s definitely worse when you’re thinking about it! As soon as I stop thinking about it it goes away x

Have you had the heating on more? Lots of dry skin this time of year! Maybe try some e45 or something? I’ve had problems with itching recently, it’s definitely worse when you’re thinking about it! As soon as I stop thinking about it it goes away x
Thank you for replying 🙂

Now I think about it we have had the heating on quite a lot recently, but doesn’t usually cause me issues. Maybe because I’m anxious I’m noticing it more 🤔
I have moisturised a few times today so hopefully that helps x

Thank you for replying 🙂

Now I think about it we have had the heating on quite a lot recently, but doesn’t usually cause me issues. Maybe because I’m anxious I’m noticing it more 🤔
I have moisturised a few times today so hopefully that helps x
Sometimes having too hot showers can cause itching too! If I’m itchy I moisturise straight out of a shower while my skin is damp ☺ Hopefully you’ll start to feel better soon x

I was okay but I’ve gone downhill this eve after finding a new freckle, since tracked down a picture that shows I’ve had it since November at least ☹ How are you feeling today HappyValley? X
Oh no, can you contact a doctor for peace of mind? My husband recently had a new freckle thing he didn’t like the look of and the doctor got him to send a picture to look at and confirmed it was fine. Perhaps you could do that for some peace of mind?

I’m getting a bit better thank you, still have back ache but had urine checked and it was fine. This did set off my anxiety again thinking it must be something else worse. But my stress has slightly eased through the day.

Sorry you’re struggling. Perhaps take an antihistamine and see if that helps?

Itching can be a physical symptom of anxiety or a million other things that are not lymphoma. Try a nice soothing sensitive moisturiser or even some body oil after you shower. I get terrible itching and rashes due to laundry detergent too or using the wrong shower gel.

I used to have really bad hypochondria. Thought I had cancer, MS, thyroid problems, schizophrenia, the lot! My main fear is teeth falling out though and I've been severely scared of that since I was around 14.
It's gotten much better in recent years, not perfect, but better. One big thing I stopped doing is googling my symptoms, that was one of the main things fuelling my anxiety. Headache = cancer, dizziness = MS, feel sick = some very rare life threatening illness. Google just always seems to find the worst case scenario and I'd ponder it for days, literally making myself ill with worry.

I've had flair ups of it here and there with certain symptoms but it's passed and I've managed to be okay again but it's a very exhausting and scary cycle to be stuck in. Some medications can help, and also meditation and mindfulness exercises.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.