Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Moxie

I have to admit that I was so disappointed in the BBC's coverage of the beacon lighting last night. I'd been looking forward to it all day and all I got was Lulu blathering on whilst they showed the odd beacon being lit.

The beacons are such an important part of our history. They go back centuries and were used to mark important news and events. They were lit after the Duke of Wellington was victorious at Waterloo.

Many of the original beacons are still there. Always up high so the fire could be seen for miles. As each beacon was lit, the next beacon would see it and that would be lit too. And so on and so on.

These are the beacons that the BBC should have been covering. Some of the ones they did show were all very nice but they weren't actually beacons, in the sense of 'lighting the beacons'. L.E.D lights are not a beacon. Something lit down in a valley is not a beacon.

So I'm a bit miffed really. :rolleyes::)
Wow didn't know that. Learnt something new every day, thanks!

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Dooley Doo

VIP Member
Guy who is lighting beacon for Australia is head of a republican movement. On GB news
It was just on the radio, fecken Albanese's speech for the Queen's Jubbly. Then the news reader said he has appointed someone to a republic officer.
No referendum in the first term.

ETA I think it might be first year. I have forgotten already.

LyraBalaqua

VIP Member
I’m a theatre scrub nurse and sometimes stand in one position for hours. Its the keeping still thats the problem. All your blood pools. You wriggle your toes but it only does so much.

Add in their uniform is hot, they can’t move to find shade, they may have self-limited their food and drink i take prior as no toilet breaks.
They should do shifts, one march in and one march out .

Happy Lady

VIP Member
Well, I think the service today starts at 9:15am so not long before we see her new outfit and find out whether she can contain herself today. There again, she might tell the congregation to shush! 😅

Great thread title. 🤣

Just quoting myself here as I am wrong about the start of the service. 🙄. Think it's 11am now according to Sky.

Evangelina

VIP Member
I'm not sure the next in the line of succession automatically becomes the Regent, they have to be appointed so for all we know steps may have been made to ensure it's not harry
Everyone one is dead was the speculation.
Requirements :
Act of Settlement 1701-he's passing .
Regency act 1937,1953
Passing the requirements:

over the age of 21
a British subject domiciled in the United Kingdom
capable of succeeding to the Crown under the terms of Act of Settlement 1701

'' According to the Regency Acts in force, if the monarch is under the age of 18 years when he or she succeeds to the throne, a regency is automatically established, and, until the monarch attains the age of 18 years, the royal functions are discharged by the regent in the name and on behalf of the monarch ''
The temporary version which requires the involvement of:

the wife or husband of the Sovereign
the Lord Chancellor
the Speaker of the House of Commons
the Lord Chief Justice of England
the Master of the Rolls
is about the Monarch's '' infirmity of mind or body, '' not that everyone is dead like our hypothetical case.
Which was a reflection on ''security,'