Happy Valley #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I must say I absolutely love the music. I googled to see who the composer was and it’s Ben Foster whose done torchwood and doctor who among other shows! There’s one piece they use a lot and it has such an amazing ominous feel to it. Really creepy.

Reactions: 7
I wasn't able to watch it yesterday, I've just watched it now.
I loved it. For a final episode, it was perfect for the tone of the show. No big twists, no guns blazing showdown. Just a mix of misery, and the possibility of trying to move on from it.
Aside from TLR obviously, but his ending I thought was actually very well done. He is bleeping vile, the things he's done.
Partly because he was 'made' that way through his upbringing. The fact he gained a little bit of clarity added back that human aspect to him. Which I thought was important.
Not to make you forgive him (what he has done is beyond forgiveness), but to see that these monsters aren't monsters, they are human.
My only minor complaint is I felt the side stories were wrapped up too quick.
I couldn't have put it better myself! Literally couldn't as I can't articulate myself haha but you summed it up perfectly.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I must say I absolutely love the music. I googled to see who the composer was and it’s Ben Foster whose done torchwood and doctor who among other shows! There’s one piece they use a lot and it has such an amazing ominous feel to it. Really creepy.
Are you thinking of Catherine's Theme? (I didn't know that was the name of that piece but it entirely makes sense 😅)

I didn't realise Ben Foster was the composer but loved his Torchwood stuff and he does do character themes really well. He gave us the iconic Captain Jack's theme - or as the fans know it: "Here he comes in a ruddy great tractor" 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Are you thinking of Catherine's Theme? (I didn't know that was the name of that piece but it entirely makes sense 😅)

I didn't realise Ben Foster was the composer but loved his Torchwood stuff and he does do character themes really well. He gave us the iconic Captain Jack's theme - or as the fans know it: "Here he comes in a ruddy great tractor" 😂
yes thats it. I’ve just been listening to it on Spotify. They seem to use a few variations of it throughout. It’s so good. Absolutely loved the torchwood music too. Never seen that clip before 🤣

Watched the last episode again tonight as my husband was on early’s yesterday so was in bed! He loved it. I took so much more in this time, the loving, heartwarming stuff like the love they all have for each other and how Claire comforts Catherine when she comes out the house. Also, would love to spend a week in Nevison’s house for a country break 😂 Lovely, remote location and country kitchen. Maybe he could throw in the housekeeper too!
The bit’s that got me the most: ‘I forgive you’ and ‘there’s a grandma’ for different reasons but both made me 😭😭😭
I’m definitely going to watch it again. I thought it was superb.
---

Interesting.
I do mean in the program though I was concerned about her house, not in real life 🤣
Ha ha! I did realise that but thought I’d throw that bit of info in.

Last edited:
I did really like the finale but I was a bit baffed by the some aspects to how the teacher’s plot panned out. Not just that it was rushed though I think ultimately that was what led to this, but it felt like they threw in lots of forms of predatory behaviour so we’d be assured he wouldn’t immediately get out of prison when they eventually catch Faisal.

I buy there being multiple incidences of predatory behaviour. I buy him soliciting pictures from pupils (although that was rushed I feel), having an affair etc.. But I was a bit nonplussed by him perving on Ryan, which was depicted in a flashback where he didn’t hear what Ryan said because he was too busy leering at him. Not sure if anyone caught that/if I just misread it but the camera def. lingered on Ryan’s bum in a shot intended to be from the teacher’s POV

It felt a bit odd seeing a child main character be targeted for that & the programme move on from it so quickly, esp. as the teacher’s predatory behaviour seemed otherwise to target women & girls. I think it would’ve been better if they’d just kept it as psychological rather than sexual grooming because it was a pretty heavy thing to drop all of a sudden; it felt like it was using it as a tool to illustrate the depravity of the teacher but idk I just didn’t think there was any need. I don’t think it worked dropping it in so briefly & late but equally I don’t think I want/ed a subplot where a guardian attempts to sexually groom Ryan either, so I’d rather that element to it was left out entirely.

Keeping it psychological-only would’ve been a more convincing depiction of abusers as well IMO as abusers tend to exert control over people even when it’s not sexual - much like the difference between how Tommy abused Louis vs Ann Gallagher

It felt a bit odd seeing a child main character be targeted for that & the programme move on from it so quickly, esp. as the teacher’s predatory behaviour seemed otherwise to target women & girls.
It was definitely hinted at previously. Joanna said he was really violent when he didn’t have a boy under his wing. He seemed to move on from boy to boy at school but she feared him most when he wasn’t fixated on a “project” I think she called them. So she was aware there were vulnerable boys he was approaching. Not sure what Miss Oates saw or knew about that

• Wow
Reactions: 19
James Norton has confirmed in an interview that they didn’t film 4 different endings and it was something that was said by the Pharmacist actor that the Press took out of context.

Reactions: 19
James Norton has confirmed in an interview that they didn’t film 4 different endings and it was something that was said by the Pharmacist actor that the Press took out of context.
i thought this was a load of rubbish because can you imagine shooting four endings on a bbc budget? 🤣 just not gonna happen. It’s not Hollywood lol

• Haha
Reactions: 9

I came across this throwback on Facebokk and this is so wholesome!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
James Norton is showing lots of behind the scenes footage on his Instagram. It's interesting to see how things are done.

Reactions: 11
Hurts my feelings that James Norton doesn’t have his TLR voice in reality.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Hurts my feelings that James Norton doesn’t have his TLR voice in reality.
He’s so much more attractive to me with a thick Yorkshire accent than with his real accent. It reminds me of when I used to live in Leeds and work in Halifax!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.