Happy Valley #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Think the ending was great if a bit rushed, and I would have had Ryan at the grave with Catherine at the end, and maybe saved the "ghost" of Becky for that scene as well. Richard's absence from this episode was a bit odd, seeing as he'd already come back and played a part in the story already.

The summation of the B-plot was fine for me - Catherine has retired, so it'd make sense that she (and us as the audience) wouldn't be that involved in the details of what went on. Wrapping it all up with a character from previous series would have been way too "neat" or "Deus-Ex-Machina" for a finale. In the end, all four male villains of their series (TLR, Rob, Faisal and Darius) met their end offscreen - this was always Catherine's story.

Interesting that there was a slight attempt to humanise TLR and his relationship with Becky. I've always felt there was an undercurrent in the writing that Catherine's hardline approach to the 'truth' of Becky's death and TLR's relationship with Becky stemmed from her having to form an 'all or nothing' mindset against him in order to cope with the grief; she'd become blinkered by the 'black and white'-ness of her version of events, whilst perhaps the truth was a little more 'grey'. She describes their relationship and TLR as abusive but of course as the audience we only see it retrospectively and from Catherine's perspective; other characters are slightly more open-minded (I'm not saying TLR wasn't a **** of course!) than Catherine.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
All the ridiculous ideas people came up with (Neil is TLR’s dad, Nevison is running a people-smuggling ring, Becky was incestuously impregnated by her dad/brother) made me realise that some people fundamentally misunderstood the programme they were watching.
HV is a character-driven drama, and has never used cheap, last-minute gimmicks. It doesn’t need to because it’s not about what happens, it’s about how and why things happen as a result of the flaws and failings of the humans involved.
Yes it’s been bugging me all week seeing the theories 🤣 it’s not in the nature of the show. I think people are too used to big explosive plot twists (which are often ridiculous anyway) and that’s why the theories got out of hand. Thank god she kept it simple. At the heart of it it was about grief and love and Catherine’s journey to finding peace. It was perfect to me

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Did anyone else find the scene where Catherine and TLR were shouting at each-other quite funny? “No YOU duck off!”
It was brilliant but sublime and so well acted. I literally could have watched another hour of them just shouting "duck off" at each other!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I’d never noticed all the blankets around until tonight. Between them, Catherine’s scarf and Claire’s jumper, I was wonderingly who the knitter/crocheter was !😆
I noticed this in series 1 which I only watched recently between cath and Claire there's been loads of crochet/knitted things cardigans, hats, blankets
I decided Claire crochets to distract herself from drinking😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Really hope James Norton gets some recognition for his portrayal of Tommy. He really gave a phenomenal performance and completely matched Sarah Lancashire’s abilities as an actor. He deserves a bafta for that role

• Heart
Reactions: 44
I was more concerned about her house burning down when she let him set fire to himself 🤣
Apparently, although all the other filming in Catherine’s home, inside & out, was done in a real house, the fire/end scene was in a complete replica set built elsewhere as they didn’t think it was fair on the real homeowners to risk burning down their real home! They built the set with ever single detail copied down to scratches on the table etc. Amazing.

• Wow
Reactions: 17
Apparently, although all the other filming in Catherine’s home, inside & out, was done in a real house, the fire/end scene was in a complete replica set built elsewhere as they didn’t think it was fair on the real homeowners to risk burning down their real home! They built the set with ever single detail copied down to scratches on the table etc. Amazing.
Makes you wonder why they even filmed in a real house to start with and didn't just use a set?

Reactions: 3
Interesting.
I do mean in the program though I was concerned about her house, not in real life 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
The conversation between TLR and Catherine that escalated into an argument was a masterpiece. When he can't think of anything cutting enough to say, when she can't believe HE forgives her. The way he suddenly seems like a child. They deserve every award going.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
The conversation between TLR and Catherine that escalated into an argument was a masterpiece. When he can't think of anything cutting enough to say, when she can't believe HE forgives her. The way he suddenly seems like a child. They deserve every award going.
Sounds like most men tbh :LOL:

• Haha
This sounds so petty but it's been bugging me 😂 was the last series supposed to be in 2022/23 ish? Just someone said about her being in the force for 30 years which would make it 92/93 she joined but I remember in series 2 (only because I'm a recent binge watcher) when she was on a night out she was talking about what it was like to be in the Police as a Woman in the 80s

This sounds so petty but it's been bugging me 😂 was the last series supposed to be in 2022/23 ish? Just someone said about her being in the force for 30 years which would make it 92/93 she joined but I remember in series 2 (only because I'm a recent binge watcher) when she was on a night out she was talking about what it was like to be in the Police as a Woman in the 80s
I can’t remember that but she was 47 in series 1 if you know when that was so maybe you can count back from then if you can remember when it was. She can’t have joined before 18

Yes she did say 80's as I re-watched it all this weekend. In series 2 they did quote the dates as 2015/16 and Ryan was 10 I think and in this series he was 16, so yes it was supposed to be 2022.

Yes she did say 80's as I re-watched it all this weekend. In series 2 they did quote the dates as 2015/16 and Ryan was 10 I think and in this series he was 16, so yes it was supposed to be 2022.
Also bear in mind she might have taken a short career break to (1) have her kids and (2) deal with the Becky/TLR/Ryan of it all, time off that presumably wouldn't be counted in the 30 years' of service but would mean she could have started a couple of years earlier than 1992.

Reactions: 11
I watched that scene again today. They are both so believable. He manages to show so many different emotions too.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
One more thought - all the speculation about the line "revenge is a dish best served cold" and who would say it.

In the end, no one did, but Catherine very literally stopped TLR taking the easy way out by lowering his temperature!!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.