Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

malolo

VIP Member
I think the demands of the bakes were probably less than in previous years because of how it had to be filmed.

Normally each show is recorded on a separate weekend so the bakers have the build up to filming starting and then a week in between each 'week' to go home and practice and change anything that isn't working and practice some more and get feedback from family and friends etc.

This year they were in the bubble, they were filming the shows every three days I think it was. They didn't have the flexibility and time that they normally do in order to practice as much as they would or change things and get the necessary ingredients/equipment for those changes. Their support system wasn't as accessible and it would be harder to pick yourself up and turn things around if things didn't go well.

It would have been a lot more intense as a result and I think that's why things were seemingly simplified.

Reactions: 11

Droosie123

VIP Member
I can’t believe how much of a slob Laura is! When she was pouring that chocolate it just went everywhere! She’s so messy, it’s almost like a badge of honour for her at this point.
I am messy when I bake...have to say I cheered and said "well done Laura " and laughed when she knocked the chocolate over. It was even better seeing her try and clear it up. She was covered afterwards...it's what I look like when I try and bake. I can't produce anything like her flavours though.

In fact when hubby and I watch we say "let's see what Laura drops or nearly drops this week" and we love her for it.

I am dyspraxic and I honestly wonder if Laura might be too...it would account for the chaos and clumsiness when cooking under pressure.

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
All that silicone bakeware getting butchered. Peter definitely made the right decision to use the cake frame and cut them out rather than massacring expensive silicone.

Italy2

Chatty Member
Good riddance with Lottie. Too cocky and big for her own boots.

I reckon Hermine is the star baker. She is lovely.

I like Hermine Peter and Mark

BonBon27

VIP Member
I tell you what really annoyed me last night....Peter saying “I think I’ve got a good chance for star baker”. I’ve watched Bake Off for a good few years and I don’t think I have ever heard someone say that out loud. Think it yes. Hint at it yes. But say it on camera?!? Criiiiiinge. It was edited heavily to show Peter being really proud of himself last night, and fair play to the lad that he was confident in what he was doing but it wasn’t a good look. I said week 1 he’d win it and I still think he will but I find his attitude annoying. I don’t think he’d win if it was a public vote 🤣

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
So overall, Peter and Dave are fairly neck and neck based on technical and signature going in to the showstopper and Laura is so far behind she is on series 8.

• Haha

Italy2

Chatty Member
Can't believe Peter would have to go when he has been so consistent all throughout the show and Laura has been winging it every week. It's so unfair....

I am loving Hermione's sense of humour! She is actually really funny!

• Sad

GlennCoco

VIP Member
I tell you what really annoyed me last night....Peter saying “I think I’ve got a good chance for star baker”. I’ve watched Bake Off for a good few years and I don’t think I have ever heard someone say that out loud. Think it yes. Hint at it yes. But say it on camera?!? Criiiiiinge. It was edited heavily to show Peter being really proud of himself last night, and fair play to the lad that he was confident in what he was doing but it wasn’t a good look. I said week 1 he’d win it and I still think he will but I find his attitude annoying. I don’t think he’d win if it was a public vote 🤣
We felt the same last night, especially when he asked them to try the last flavour in his cube cake 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
we buy vanilla ice cream, melt it slightly and mix in mince meat or broken up mince pies then refreeze it, its lush!

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
First time commenting on this thread! Love bake off. Agree the standard hasn’t been as high this year but given the circumstances it’s understandable. It’s actually quite refreshing seeing amateur bakers being well, amateurish. Think the right person went yesterday, you can’t serve raw dough and expect to get to the next round!

Came across this and for some reason it made me think of bake off😆
View attachment 275661
Literally every technical challenge. A load of obscure bakes nobody has ever heard of. Was much better when the technicals were Jaffa cakes and fondant fancies.