Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate to see "reoccurrence". There is no such word and "recurrence" should be used.

Reactions: 1
A genuine question - what IS the correct use of ‘myself’? I hate it being used to sound like a smartarse when ‘me’ or ‘I’ is grammatically appropriate but I can’t think of the correct context to use it?
When, for example, you have bought something for yourself; you wouldn't say 'I bought me a...', you would say 'I bought myself a new...'.

Edit: the perils of answering before reading to the end of a thread! I see someone else answered, sorry! :)

Reactions: 4
"He jumped off of the table". The "of" is redundant.
I think that's an Americanism, isn't it?

A bit like"gotten" instead of "got". I know the former is fine to use in North America, but it annoys me when people use it in the UK. 😂

• Heart
I think that's an Americanism, isn't it?

A bit like"gotten" instead of "got". I know the former is fine to use in North America, but it annoys me when people use it in the UK. 😂
Kinda like "can I write TO you?", but in America, "can I write you?" 🤦🏻‍♀️

I LOVE this thread, I teach English as a foreign language (as a British native) and EVERYTHING here is amazing

Reactions: 6
People saying fiancé when they mean fiancée and vice versa
I always just say "partner" as I always forget if I'm the é or the ée. 😂

Just had a flyer through from a company offering me a free boiler. Wow, great! Except they've used "effected" instead of "affected", so into the bin it goes. 😂

Kinda like "can I write TO you?", but in America, "can I write you?" 🤦🏻‍♀️
Similarly I've noticed people not using "of" after "a couple".

E.g. "Can I have a couple days off?"

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I always just say "partner" as I always forget if I'm the é or the ée. 😂

Just had a flyer through from a company offering me a free boiler. Wow, great! Except they've used "effected" instead of "affected", so into the bin it goes. 😂

For a man it’s fiancé and a woman is a fiancée
Similarly I've noticed people not using "of" after "a couple".

E.g. "Can I have a couple days off?"
Male person is a fiancé, woman is a fiancée, if that helps.

When people say "I could care less!" when they mean "I couldn't care less!" and don't realise that they're saying exactly the opposite of what they mean! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 5
Male person is a fiancé, woman is a fiancée, if that helps.
This reminds me of that annoying Mike Bushell talking to Charlie Stayt on BBC Breakfast and referring to someone having a fiancé which he pronounced as FY ANSE😬. Charlie Stayt couldn’t believe it. How can you be journalist and to have got to that age where you don’t know how to pronounce that? Can’t stand that show.

I always have more to add to this list 😂

When people add hyphens that really aren’t needed. Eg just seen in an article ‘ husband-of-16-years’ ARGHHH

Reactions: 2
When a partner writes a status after their wife/gf has given birth " She done amazing"!!

When people write "How are use", instead of you!

Just seen someone asking about visiting a tourist attraction that has just reopened.
"Do I need to book or is it a free fall?"

• Haha
Reactions: 2