Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This has probably been said on here but the amount of times I've seen this recently is criminal... when people say generally but they actually mean genuinely 😡😡 it's not normal how much it pisses me off

Reactions: 3
On the forum list , there is an Instagramer category. Shouldn't it be instagrammer? My phone kept auto- correcting this post.

• Heart
When people use more than three dots in an ellipsis. Gets me all twitchy :ROFLMAO:
It bugs me so much I actually started casually dropping into conversation that the correct number of dots is either three or five (my personal preference is three) and that other variations are not correct grammar. Disappointingly nobody else seemed particularly interested 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It bugs me so much I actually started casually dropping into conversation that the correct number of dots is either three or five (my personal preference is three) and that other variations are not correct grammar. Disappointingly nobody else seemed particularly interested 😆
Are there circumstances where three would be more appropriate than five and vice versa?

Reactions: 1
A couple of words I remember that I don't feel are words or if they are, are too clunky.
One is "anxiousness" ... Surely it is just "I was full of anxiety". Also "comfortability" ... Isn't comfort or comfortable sufficient? Eg. "I think the settee was very comfortable" and not "The settee had comfortability". Comfortability is coming up on predictive text though. 😶

A couple of words I remember that I don't feel are words or if they are, are too clunky.
One is "anxiousness" ... Surely it is just "I was full of anxiety". Also "comfortability" ... Isn't comfort or comfortable sufficient? Eg. "I think the settee was very comfortable" and not "The settee had comfortability". Comfortability is coming up on predictive text though. 😶
I think anxiousness and anxiety are important, as anxiety is a condition where anxiousness is a natural feeling that we all experience. I agree though that it feels kinda clunky!

I’ve seen so much lately ‘I seen’

I think anxiousness and anxiety are important, as anxiety is a condition where anxiousness is a natural feeling that we all experience. I agree though that it feels kinda clunky!

I’ve seen so much lately ‘I seen’
I seen what you mean 😉

I still think anxiety fits both situations. "I had/have anxiousness" "I had/have anxiety. Argh. I just don't like the word.

I seen what you mean 😉

I still think anxiety fits both situations. "I had/have anxiousness" "I had/have anxiety. Argh. I just don't like the word.
I suppose you could say ‘she was in a state of anxiousness’ might make more sense than ‘she was in a state of anxiety?’ Who knows haha

Are there circumstances where three would be more appropriate than five and vice versa?
I don't think so but now you've asked I'm going to have to do some research because I'd quite like to know too. I know three is far more common these days as the official number. It might be quite interesting to find out when one became more popular than the other as well.

A very popular one on social media at the moment: "boarders" instead of "borders".

Reactions: 2
Carn't

Contractions are taught in year 1.

If you can write an essay on Facebook about how kind you are, then you can spell can't.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before...however when people say "pacifically" instead of "specifically" it really gets on my bloody nerves! It makes me want to SCREAM!

I've noticed how the British language is slowly becoming more Americanised too! There appears to be a cultural shift... Could this be down to Tik Tok culture?
When you overhear the following in conversation:

Literally
Same
Same
Same!
Totally
What the actual?
Are
you kidding me?

It's almost as though people are becoming lazy with their language?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before...however when people say "pacifically" instead of "specifically" it really gets on my bloody nerves! It makes me want to SCREAM!

I've noticed how the British language is slowly becoming more Americanised too! There appears to be a cultural shift... Could this be down to Tik Tok culture?
When you overhear the following in conversation:

Literally
Same
Same
Same!
Totally
What the actual?
Are
you kidding me?

It's almost as though people are becoming lazy with their language?
It irritates me when American spellings become normalised in the UK - like, when I was a kid, the word "yoghurt" was spelled yogHurt, with an H. yet that spelling has become totally phased out, and replaced with the American spelling - "yogurt". yoghurts in British supermarkets, and those produced by UK manufacturers, are. now labelled as "yogurt", but I swear it was a very slow transition - between the 90s to the mid 2000s, it slowly changed until the spelling "yogurt" became more standardised, and has now seemingly become the norm, with "yoghurt" becoming an obsolete term. I can't think of any other examples, but I imagine there are other British words where the spelling has transitioned to the American version, without people even necessarily noticing!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I despise it when people say ‘I’m going gym’ rather than ‘I’m going to the gym’. When did this become a thing?