Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah, I just stumbled across this thread! It's the perfect thread for me!

I cannot cope when people muddle these words up:

there/their/they're
your/you're
to/too/two
it's/its
done/did
lose/loose
affect/effect
expect/accept
were/we're
where/were
then/than
bought/brought
dessert/desert
advice/advise
ensure/insure
quiet/quite
chose/choose
of/off
stationery/stationary
who's/whose

Should of/could of/would of. 🤢

When Arctic is misspelled as Artic. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I hate the misuse of apostrophes - Sunday's instead of Sundays or DVD's instead of DVDs - and when people refuse to use commas, or dramatically overuse full stops. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I also internally cringe when I hear "something" pronounced as "somethink", "unacceptable" as "unasseptable" or "ask" pronounced as "axe" and "espresso" as "expresso".

And I appreciate it's very specific, but it also irks me when people misspell broccoli! 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I've got to join in, so many of you have written about my pet peeves. Mine is 'defiantely' people using 'myself' in a bid to seem more intelligent or courteous.

'Myself and Helen bought tickets to...'

I stop people and ask them if they would start a sentence with 'Myself bought tickets' and that usually helps them to construct their sentence correctly.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Your / you’re
There / their / they’re
Where / were

But my biggest one

Random CaPiTAlisation. Not just the random letters, but also incorrect capitalisation of words.
These first ones ugh

See it on Twitter all the time

Reactions: 1
"I'm going to start eating healthy from now on".

You're going to start eating healthy what? You mean healthily 😬

• Haha
  • Heart
I hate it when people say bring instead of take. Is it just me? 😂
I take something on holiday.
You say to someone else, bring that with you.
Am I making sense?
Anyway, it drives me mad! 😂

Apologise if this has been mentioned before but people mixing up generally and genuinely annoy me a little too much 😂😂

All of the above, but bought/brought annoy me the most. I think people think it makes them sound posher to use bought! 'I bought my new Dyson hair wrap with me on holiday'.

Reactions: 2
when people muddle up lend and borrow. like "can i get a lend of your pen?" instead of "could i borrow your pen?" 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Specific and pacific drives me around the bend. They’re two totally different words, spellings, meanings! My husband says pacific when he means specific just to wind me up.

when I see mom instead of mum in the UK. But maybe this is a regional thing?

Very picky I know.

A genuine question - what IS the correct use of ‘myself’? I hate it being used to sound like a smartarse when ‘me’ or ‘I’ is grammatically appropriate but I can’t think of the correct context to use it?

A genuine question - what IS the correct use of ‘myself’? I hate it being used to sound like a smartarse when ‘me’ or ‘I’ is grammatically appropriate but I can’t think of the correct context to use it?
Do you like the carrot cake? I made it myself.

Reactions: 2
Ah, I just stumbled across this thread! It's the perfect thread for me!

I cannot cope when people muddle these words up:

there/their/they're
your/you're
to/too/two
it's/its
done/did
lose/loose
affect/effect
expect/accept
were/we're
where/were
then/than
bought/brought
dessert/desert
advice/advise
ensure/insure
quiet/quite
chose/choose
of/off
stationery/stationary
who's/whose

Should of/could of/would of. 🤢

When Arctic is misspelled as Artic. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I hate the misuse of apostrophes - Sunday's instead of Sundays or DVD's instead of DVDs - and when people refuse to use commas, or dramatically overuse full stops. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I also internally cringe when I hear "something" pronounced as "somethink", "unacceptable" as "unasseptable" or "ask" pronounced as "axe" and "espresso" as "expresso".

And I appreciate it's very specific, but it also irks me when people misspell broccoli! 🤣
What a brilliant post! As I was reading through your list I thought "I bet they'll have missed at least one of my pet peeves", but I'm pretty sure you've said them all.

The funny thing is that I don't even think my grammar is that great. I consider the above to be basic things.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Specific and pacific drives me around the bend. They’re two totally different words, spellings, meanings! My husband says pacific when he means specific just to wind me up.

when I see mom instead of mum in the UK. But maybe this is a regional thing?

Very picky I know.
specific and pacific are the WORST. equally, when people say supposably instead of supposedly. 🤦🏻‍♀️

in terms of using "myself", you can use it in sentences where you use "I" - "I made the cake myself!" or "I promised myself I would go to bed earlier" or "I treated myself to a coffee." it's the equivalent of using himself, herself, themselves etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
There's a board outside a sandwich shop near me that says "Tasty sandwiche's here".

I want to get out a marker pen every time I walk past it.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 4