Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been reading a few threads today and some of them I've had to stop reading, because I was so irritated by the amount of times people have said 'could of / should of / would of'. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but just wondered if anyone else has any particular grammar pet peeves?! So that we can be old and grumpy together haha!

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Using 'of' instead of 'have' annoys me as well. It doesn't make sense and is something we learned in primary school. Misplaced apostrophes...sorry, apostrophe's. Ugh.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Using 'of' instead of 'have' annoys me as well. It doesn't make sense and is something we learned in primary school. Misplaced apostrophes...sorry, apostrophe's. Ugh.
Haha agreed. It’s like, you say ‘I have been to the shops’, not ‘I of been to the shops’. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
One that really annoys me is when people use too and to in the wrong context 🤦‍♀️ primary school level English

• Heart
Reactions: 20
One that really annoys me is when people use too and to in the wrong context 🤦‍♀️ primary school level English
Aha I have too many friends that do this and honestly I get infuriated whenever they text me 🙈

Reactions: 6
Spelling. I appreciate stupid spellcheck/text can automatically enter the wrong spelling/or homophones but when a person misspells the word in texts and I've even told them and they still continue to misspell it makes me mad, just correct your word history in your phone.

Reactions: 10
The would of/should of thing annoys me too. Especially when I see it in work emails!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
The common confusion between there, their and they’re. Does my nut in.

There are people who didn’t listen to their teacher’s grammar lessons, and they’re driving me mad.

I think the main problem is that a lot of people are lazy and will type in the way they would speak.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
The manager of a company I used to work for once put a sign up over the recycling bin advising what could go in there, he gave everything the good old possessive apostrophe. Can's, Bottle's, Paper's.
I couldn't look at it without cringing.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
And I hate when people don't use the capital letter on a person's name, eg jane instead of Jane, I think it's rude.

(Again it's text and typing that is causing this).

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Lack of punctuation is a big one for me. These are the same people likely to go on a Facebook rant without using one comma, and to me it feels like they are running out of breath!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Text speak. There's no limit (ok, there might be; but it's huge) on characters on Facebook and forums.

• Heart
Lack of punctuation is a big one for me. These are the same people likely to go on a Facebook rant without using one comma, and to me it feels like they are running out of breath!
I think I don't breathe when I read that tit, that's why I get so annoyed, ha.

• Haha
Text speak. There's no limit (ok, there might be; but it's huge) on characters on Facebook and forums.
Not a grammar one but I loathe hashtag everything:

#lovingmylife#lovemybabe#soyalatte#hashtag

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Your / you’re
There / their / they’re
Where / were

But my biggest one

Random CaPiTAlisation. Not just the random letters, but also incorrect capitalisation of words.

Reactions: 15
The worst thing about the should of/would of/could of, is that a lot of time it's being done by people who should know better. People who are of my generation (born early 80s) who know full well that this is incorrect, but seem to have adopted this new way of writing in recent years. My sister being one of them. I pulled her up on it the first time she did it, and she's never done it again since :LOL:

People who don't know the difference between "lose" and "loose" annoy me too. Oh, and "to" and "too". 😖

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Could of, would of, should of are probably because teachers /parents say would've, could've, should've rather than the whole words. could have, should have, would have. listening to it it could easily be mistaken for would of etc

I'm dyslexic but try really hard to work out everything before posting, it's not easy for me especially when I make a mistake and just cannot see it. I was put into the dunce class at school (back in the 60s) and it affected me a lot confidence-wise. I am not that bad now but really hate it when you are debating a subject someone pulls you up on spelling or grammar. Time and a place

I remember a lovely man on a digital spy who made a thread especially for me and others like me where people who were good at these things could explain how and why we were going wrong in a sentence we had posted on other threads. it was non-judgmental and really helpful

Sorry went off on one a bit there.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
People who merge words that don’t work together as one.

Ex. “noone” instead of “no one”.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9