Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
argh! the worst thing is that i very much know the difference between to and too. the shame! 🤦🏻‍♀️
At least you do know the difference, I am waiting for the day when I see someone that doesn't know the difference between the number and too or to :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2
argh! the worst thing is that i very much know the difference between to and too. the shame! 🤦🏻‍♀️
How funny! 🤣🤣🤣
Slate other people's grammar/spelling by getting it wrong yourself! It's usually something that I do.

Honestly, I had to re-read my comment about 10 times before I hit 'post'. There's nothing worse!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
How funny! 🤣🤣🤣
Slate other people's grammar/spelling by getting it wrong yourself! It's usually something that I do.

Honestly, I had to re-read my comment about 10 times before I hit 'post'. There's nothing worse!
i'm genuinely so embarrassed! mistakes like that usually stand out at me and i notice them immediately - i definitely would have if it had been a comment written by someone else - but i was far more focused on capitalising the letters and didn't notice. of all the places to make a grammatical error! 🤦🏻‍♀️

At least you do know the difference, I am waiting for the day when I see someone that doesn't know the difference between the number and too or to :ROFLMAO:
i can't remember the context, but i have actually seen someone use "two" instead of "too"...! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Hey Alice, don't beat yourself up about it. I'm a stickler on grammar tooooo, but after reading back some of my posts, I've typed many silly corkers. 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 5
There’s a bar I follow on Instagram and one of their hashtags is #RudeNotToo. My fingers hover tremulously over the keypad whenever I see it, but I’m too much of a confrontation-phobe to correct them.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
i'm genuinely so embarrassed! mistakes like that usually stand out at me and i notice them immediately - i definitely would have if it had been a comment written by someone else - but i was far more focused on capitalising the letters and didn't notice. of all the places to make a grammatical error! 🤦🏻‍♀️

i can't remember the context, but i have actually seen someone use "two" instead of "too"...! 🤣
god I despair!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
"bare with me"

I don't think you realise what you are asking me to do 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Work colleagues.
By definition a colleague is someone you work with, it doesn’t require the ‘work’ preface.
Also; the way some people in Liverpool say ‘I’m goin the Asda’ my skin is itching at the thought of it.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My sister told me she was having a ‘spag bowel’ one night. Never fails to make me laugh 😂

• Haha
When people say "I could care less!" when they mean "I couldn't care less!" and don't realise that they're saying exactly the opposite of what they mean! 🤦🏻‍♀️
That one drives me batty.

I know a woman who pronounces unless /ungless

I'm Irish and some people mix up U and O vowel sounds e.g From - pronounced frum , under/onder and the worst one Room, pronounced Rum🤯

A posh lady I know pronounces a sharp T sound like SH- whash was thash?

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I feel like I'm in some sort of parallel universe with this one ...

"Fitted" is a word!
(E.g., "The men will be required to get their suits fitted" - NOT "The men will be required to get their suits fit.").

I've had several arguments with someone about this lately (they're American; I'm Kiwi). They are adamant that 'fitted' it is not a word. It is an Americanism that you write 'fit' in place of 'fitted'; however as it is a Kiwi-authored paper it's bloody staying! :mad:

The same person keeps challenging me on using 'off of' together in a sentence - again, it's an Americanism and it's incorrect!
(E.g., "Get off of the grass" when it should be "Get off the grass").

Does she have dentures? A lady I know does the same and has them.

• Haha
Oh my God, this just made me remember a time when a 'posh lady' called our office (I worked in travel).
She says, 'Oh hello, I'm running late because I'm stuck in Splarshen Darsh.

Cue me, wondering where the hell Splarshen Darsh is.

I responded with 'Can I take your booking reference?'
'No, I've not made a booking'
'Ok, we'll make one now for you'
'I don't need a booking. I'm in my car'
'Ok...erm...'
She proceeded to tell me that she worked in our Head Office (down South) and was visiting our office (up North) but was stuck in Splarshen Darsh.

I said that I'll pass the message on. So informed my big boss, who looks at me and says 'Where the hell is Splarshen Darsh?' Thinking she was coming via Germany (in her car!! 🤣)
Google gets involved. Everyone around gets involved.

10 minutes later she arrives.
We discovered that Splarshen Darsh was actually Splash and Dash and she was getting her car washed.

Oh the embarrassment!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Does she have dentures? A lady I know does the same and has them.
[/QUOTE]

No, definitely no dentures. Just a faux-posh lady who wants to remind everyone that she's from an affluent area by adopting a plummy accent 😂

People who get their lending and borrowing mixed up. "Can I lend a pen?"/"Can you borrow me a pen?"

Also when people say "That'll learn him/her/you".

"Tonite". Even worse..."To-nite".

• Heart