Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
People not knowing when to use “its“ instead of “it’s”.
stupid question alert - when exactly would you use either of them? I understand generally, that the apostrophe means it belongs to someone or when you miss out a letter, such as won't.

Reactions: 1
stupid question alert - when exactly would you use either of them? I understand generally, that the apostrophe means it belongs to someone or when you miss out a letter, such as won't.
It's- it is
Its- possessive pronoun, like hers, theirs, yours

Reactions: 5
Mine is when people mix up brought and bought.
I literally came here to post that when I noticed this thread! You see it here allllll the time. I once typed it into the comment box just to double check it wasn't autocorrecting I seen it that often!

Reactions: 2
The dog is wagging it’s tail = The dog is wagging it is tail
WRONG

The dog is wagging its tail = The dog is wagging his/her/its tail
RIGHT

It’s raining outside = It is raining outside
RIGHT

Does this make sense to you? I am glad you are asking, because once you understand you won’t forget!

Reactions: 6
Signs outside shops advertising things spelt as:-
Shoe's
Bag's
Coat's

Also, in Yorkshire many people call a packet of crisps a packet of crisp.

Reactions: 6
"Discusting" and it's usually those parents who spell their double-barrelled child's name purposefully wrong who say it 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Never heard of this expression before so I looked up both, and it said hanging punctuation is when the punctuation is outside the line of text?! Which apparently often happens when text is justified.

My understanding with punctuation and speech marks is that if it’s to punctuate the flow of the whole sentence it goes outside of the speech marks; if it pertains just to the quoted part, it goes inside. Explains it pretty well here: https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/does-punctuation-go-inside-or-outside-quotation-marks/
No, I know. The climate is changing as far as quotation marks go. But floating punctuation isn't the same as hanging punctuation and American rules aren't the same as British rules.

American rules: Put the period or comma inside the quotation marks if you are using so-called "scare quotes." ⬅

To be honest, if America changes our quotation rules I will happily go along with that change. British rules make more sense. But there will still be a bunch of confused Americans getting it wrong.

A grocer's apostrophe is the incorrect addition of an apostrophe, when there should be none. Advertising "apple's" instead of apples.

Reactions: 2
Grocer’s apostrophe is the use of an apostrophe in plural words e.g. apple’s, orange’s etc.
Hahaha that’s funny.

A grocer's apostrophe is the incorrect addition of an apostrophe, when there should be none. Advertising "apple's" instead of apples.
I was looking for a ‘to do’ notepad on Amazon last night and there were at least three that said TO DO’S - That’s a grocer’s apostrophe right?!

Reactions: 3
People writing thinks like 'argh, what a cute puppy' instead of ' ahh , what a cute puppy'.

To me the former is a negative reaction , and the latter a positive and I read them as such . My inner voice pronounces them differently.

Reactions: 9
Quite funny when someone on a dating app tells you they want to duck you because predictive text has changed the word. Lol

Reactions: 1
I just heard 'I runned'
It made me laugh so I RAN here to tell you all!
I have also heard « she grinded out the last pieces of work she had to do in order to graduate », um, no, that would be « ground out »!
In US English, I have seen « The sun/light shined through the window ». Again, no, that would be shone, the only things that can be shined are shoes!