Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My major pet peeve is people who don’t know when to use subject or object pronouns (I/me). I have had colleagues ( when I worked in a school!) tell me “You can always call on S or I for help”, and so many vloggers say things like ‘I just made lunch for my husband and I”. The best/worst ones are horrible language manglings like “it’s my husband and I’s anniversary” which makes me shudder. It isn’t even a hard rule to master, you take out the “X and” bit and see if you would say I or me by itself, no need to understand the grammar behind it, though why that isn’t being taught in schools just beggars belief. It often crops up in scripted TV shows, tomy great chagrin, as this means no-one on the writing/acting team picked up on the mistake at any point, or if they did, they didn’t address it!
Another school colleague used to put the past tense where a past participle should go, so would tell children they should “have went to the toilet before we went to the park”. So many influencers make this mistake, it drives me bonkers to hear “I have ran” and other such delights! Again, it‘s really not that hard to get it right!
Perhaps it’s just because I was made to sit in front of a mirror and say things like “these three things” until I stopped pronouncing my th’s as f’s as a young child, but hearing people say ‘Fanks, I fink it was a fing I fought about free times” just makes my ears bleed! The k sound for words that end in g gets on my nerves too, and don’t get me started on people dropping their h’s and especially their t’s - no Collaeral Beauy is not the name of the film you saw, it’s Collateral Beauty!
I am thrilled to find this thread! My mum did an English Lit degree and has always made sure (my siblings and) I speak properly, correcting our mistakes and explaining the rule(s) until we understood it/them and could spread the word. We weren’t allowed to watch Eastenders as the characters use incorrect language like ain’t, drop their t’s and pronounce th as f quite often!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
My major pet peeve is people who don’t know when to use subject or object pronouns (I/me). I have had colleagues ( when I worked in a school!) tell me “You can always call on S or I for help”, and so many vloggers say things like ‘I just made lunch for my husband and I”. The best/worst ones are horrible language manglings like “it’s my husband and I’s anniversary” which makes me shudder. It isn’t even a hard rule to master, you take out the “X and” bit and see if you would say I or me by itself, no need to understand the grammar behind it, though why that isn’t being taught in schools just beggars belief. It often crops up in scripted TV shows, tomy great chagrin, as this means no-one on the writing/acting team picked up on the mistake at any point, or if they did, they didn’t address it!
Another school colleague used to put the past tense where a past participle should go, so would tell children they should “have went to the toilet before we went to the park”. So many influencers make this mistake, it drives me bonkers to hear “I have ran” and other such delights! Again, it‘s really not that hard to get it right!
Perhaps it’s just because I was made to sit in front of a mirror and say things like “these three things” until I stopped pronouncing my th’s as f’s as a young child, but hearing people say ‘Fanks, I fink it was a fing I fought about free times” just makes my ears bleed! The k sound for words that end in g gets on my nerves too, and don’t get me started on people dropping their h’s and especially their t’s - no Collaeral Beauy is not the name of the film you saw, it’s Collateral Beauty!
I am thrilled to find this thread! My mum did an English Lit degree and has always made sure (my siblings and) I speak properly, correcting our mistakes and explaining the rule(s) until we understood it/them and could spread the word. We weren’t allowed to watch Eastenders as the characters use incorrect language like ain’t, drop their t’s and pronounce th as f quite often!
Agree with all of the above! But also have to add that ‘no one’ isn’t hyphenated 😋
I see people say ‘Dave and myself’ or ‘I’m going to get a new top for myself’ - I don’t know whether people maybe think it sounds better or more formal?! But it’s so wrong.

Question - are you deranged if you decipher the best wiki on tattle for petty non existent errors?
If you’re gonna come on to the thread and make petty, sly digs about me, just @Me. This doesn’t need to be a bloody playground.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Someone I work with always writes ‘please accept my apologises’ on emails. I’m not sure if she realises she’s written apologies incorrectly or has typed it so many times it’s now like muscle memory.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Text speak. There's no limit (ok, there might be; but it's huge) on characters on Facebook and forums.
Related to that, folks who post a two sentence reply and then apologise to the forum for writing a "book".

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I have been reading a few threads today and some of them I've had to stop reading, because I was so irritated by the amount of times people have said 'could of / should of / would of'. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but just wondered if anyone else has any particular grammar pet peeves?! So that we can be old and grumpy together haha!
It drives me up the wall, but what can you do? No point challenging them, you get a tit load of abuse for your effort. 🤣

Facebook is the worst place to see it.

The latest ones are people getting WERE and WHERE mixed up.

WOMAN and WOMEN were bad enough, now we have something else to cause rage! 🤣😂

Grammar’s not my strong point so I’m a bit of a hypocrite 😁 but I keep seeing people write seen rather than saw I.e. ‘I seen this on TV’ or ‘I seen her’.

Af first I thought maybe just a typo but I’m seeing it regularly now and it’s so bizarre and annoying. As if you’d even say that in real life let alone write it?
That usually reflects the way they speak.

I was sat. Hate this. It's I was sitting.

Where I live a lot of people say "You was there" not "you were there." After 20 years in the area it still grates.
Sounds like south Essex.

Lack of punctuation is a big one for me. These are the same people likely to go on a Facebook rant without using one comma, and to me it feels like they are running out of breath!
If only they would. 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
We used to be corrected at school if we used the term “due to” rather than “owing to”. Our English teacher used to say that the only things that are due are money and the bus.

• Heart
We used to be corrected at school if we used the term “due to” rather than “owing to”. Our English teacher used to say that the only things that are due are money and the bus.
Surely that's wrong

Reactions: 1
I saw an article that said it was considered incredibly aggressive to use a full stop or a comma.

I guess that I will just have to be aggressive.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Defiantly instead of definitely.
You, your and you’re.
Should of and Should’ve.
Are instead of our.
People who put a space before a comma or full stop.
(E.g I need bread , eggs and milk from the shop .)
Ino instead of I know.
Ow instead of Aw, sounds like you’re in pain 🤣

Literally got all of the above from a 2 minute scroll on Facebook.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
My pet peeves:
Things being described as very unique or really unique or worst of all almost unique. No! It’s just unique, it either is or isn’t.
Stationery/stationary - remember e for envelope, a for arrest.

My pet peeves:
Things being described as very unique or really unique or worst of all almost unique. No! It’s just unique, it either is or isn’t.
Stationery/stationary - remember e for envelope, a for arrest.
I remember it as stationery: pens, letters and envelopes and stationary: a parked car

Reactions: 4
It drives me up the wall, but what can you do? No point challenging them, you get a tit load of abuse for your effort. 🤣

Facebook is the worst place to see it.

The latest ones are people getting WERE and WHERE mixed up.

WOMAN and WOMEN were bad enough, now we have something else to cause rage! 🤣😂

That usually reflects the way they speak.

Sounds like south Essex.

If only they would. 🤣
I didn't realise until I got facebook how many people have no idea how to use apostrophes (why on earth would you say, as I saw earlier "I went to the shops to buy some shoe's" how on earth would you think one plural randomly has punctuation like that?!), the difference between there and their etc

Reactions: 8
When people say "an historic" rather than "a historic". Newsreaders do it all the time. The "h" of historic is pronounced as a consonant sound, so it should be preceded by "a", rather than words like "hour", "honour", "heir", which should be preceded by "an" due to starting with a vowel sound.

When people say "an historic" rather than "a historic". Newsreaders do it all the time. The "h" of historic is pronounced as a consonant sound, so it should be preceded by "a", rather than words like "hour", "honour", "heir", which should be preceded by "an" due to starting with a vowel sound.
This. I cannot stand this and it's everywhere.

Oooh guilty. I’m from Yorkshire and we don’t pronounce our ‘H’s so automatically say and write ‘an’ before any H words 🤣

• Haha