Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Many years ago when I was at Secretarial College, we were taught never to use the words: get, got, getting, do or doing. Ever since I've hated seeing those words. For instance:

I got a new coat - could become, I bought a new coat.

When I was doing the housework I got the polish out - could become, I used the polish while completing the housework.

Reactions: 8
Many years ago when I was at Secretarial College, we were taught never to use the words: get, got, getting, do or doing. Ever since I've hated seeing those words. For instance:

I got a new coat - could become, I bought a new coat.

When I was doing the housework I got the polish out - could become, I used the polish while completing the housework.
At my primary school in the 80s, they actively encouraged us to avoid using "nice" to describe something. Even when writing it now, I still wonder if there's a better word I could use.

I think "amazing" is this generation's "nice". I always feel aware of how much it is used, and usually try to pick an alternative.

Last edited:
At my primary school in the 80s, they actively encouraged us to avoid using "nice" to describe something. Even when writing it now, I still wonder if there's a better word I could use.

I think "amazing" is this generation's "nice". I always feel aware of how much it is used, and usually try to pick an alternative.
They were still teaching this in the 90s haha

Reactions: 2
The trend for saying that something is "addicting" rather than "addictive". I believe that it's technically acceptable, but to me, it just sounds wrong.

And the word THING. That word is surely only used by lazy people. Just mention what you're talking about. 😅

Whenever Mr H says THING, I always pretend I've not a clue what he means. Apparently, it will catch up with us all as we forget our thingies. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I totally understand that some people might say me instead of my I.e. "I'm going to get me dinner" (very common up north)

I can accept that speaking it is a regional accent thing but typing it out is totally unacceptable.

This was prompted by a post I just saw on Facebook.

Reactions: 5
I literally hate the use of unnecessary words and I literally get annoyed when people literally use them when the don’t literally need them.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The trend for using adverbs incorrectly. I imagine it stems from America.

"She drove too quick".

"He did good"

Apple had a slogan a few years ago..."Think different".

Reactions: 4
I received an email from someone at work this week that included ‘no-one’, ‘thank-you’ and ‘defiantly’. ARGHH

• Haha
Reactions: 1
People not knowing when to use “its“ instead of “it’s”.

Reactions: 6
Hey, I'm old and cranky. I'll join in. 😊

I think the most common pet peeve I see is people who use quotation marks and then add the comma or period, leaving it floating. I never met a teacher who wasn't driven crazy by "floating punctuation."

This seems to be the biggest problem when using scare quotes. I know some might argue with me on this, and British quotations often leave punctuation floating. Too many Americans are ignorant though, not suddenly British.

Funnily enough, I tried to search for a few examples of improper quotation marks and only came up with this question:

I searched on the Internet what "floating punctuation" means but found absolutely nothing and when I enable it, I cannot see any changes through the text except for the number of pages.

But the funny part was the reply:

I've never heard of "floating punctuation", but I wonder whether it might mean "hanging punctuation".

I have to admit, I don't know if the original "floating punctuation" question had anything to do with what I mean, or if it was more of a programming issue. However, the reply having TWO EXAMPLES of incorrect quotations made me laugh.

When people seem really confused, I've even seen punctuation used before and after the quote: "What time is it?".

And finally, probably my biggest pet peeve right now, those who don't know the meaning of concerning. Language is constantly changing, yada, yada, yada, but that's my nails down a chalkboard moment.

I'd like for us to collectively slow down on the race to ignorance. On the other hand, I also wonder how many mistakes I made in just this one post. You live, you learn.

Reactions: 1
Hey, I'm old and cranky. I'll join in. 😊

I think the most common pet peeve I see is people who use quotation marks and then add the comma or period, leaving it floating. I never met a teacher who wasn't driven crazy by "floating punctuation."

This seems to be the biggest problem when using scare quotes. I know some might argue with me on this, and British quotations often leave punctuation floating. Too many Americans are ignorant though, not suddenly British.

Funnily enough, I tried to search for a few examples of improper quotation marks and only came up with this question:

I searched on the Internet what "floating punctuation" means but found absolutely nothing and when I enable it, I cannot see any changes through the text except for the number of pages.

But the funny part was the reply:

I've never heard of "floating punctuation", but I wonder whether it might mean "hanging punctuation".

I have to admit, I don't know if the original "floating punctuation" question had anything to do with what I mean, or if it was more of a programming issue. However, the reply having TWO EXAMPLES of incorrect quotations made me laugh.

When people seem really confused, I've even seen punctuation used before and after the quote: "What time is it?".

And finally, probably my biggest pet peeve right now, those who don't know the meaning of concerning. Language is constantly changing, yada, yada, yada, but that's my nails down a chalkboard moment.

I'd like for us to collectively slow down on the race to ignorance. On the other hand, I also wonder how many mistakes I made in just this one post. You live, you learn.
Never heard of this expression before so I looked up both, and it said hanging punctuation is when the punctuation is outside the line of text?! Which apparently often happens when text is justified.

My understanding with punctuation and speech marks is that if it’s to punctuate the flow of the whole sentence it goes outside of the speech marks; if it pertains just to the quoted part, it goes inside. Explains it pretty well here: https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/does-punctuation-go-inside-or-outside-quotation-marks/

I’ve seen several instances today of another pet peeve: when someone means etcetera but instead of abbreviating it to etc., they write ect. ECT stands for electro convulsive therapy (electric shock treatment) as practiced on some patients with mental health issues.

Reactions: 5
Practice/practise
Affect/effect
Your/you’re
The grocer’s apostrophe is my biggest pet peeve though.

Reactions: 3