Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I live in Australia and a lot of people will start a sentence with 'Yeah, nah'. Not as bad as 'you know what I mean' every three minutes but it's just so weird. Who said it first, and why?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I second everything written here, don't think I have anything new to add. It's unreasonably irritating to me. I know it's just a grammar mistake and I look past it on casual places like forums etc. but I see this stuff in work emails too and I just want to reply and say fix your text for duck's sake.

I feel like I shouldn't be pedantic about this as English isn't my first language but it still gets on my nerves. They're/their/there is grating, but not nearly as grating as the bloody should of/could of/would of.

Reactions: 6
I was reading a Shirley Jackson book this morning and saw, "If he'd of been my friend you would have said plenty", and "She must of been glad to see him."

I only ever use the Oxford comma where there is ambiguity. Most of the time, it is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
People who leave a space between punctuation !

Why? A guy I used to work with did it constantly....I'm not sure if it was to wind me up?

Reactions: 4
People who leave a space between punctuation !

Why? A guy I used to work with did it constantly....I'm not sure if it was to wind me up?
Also, people who litter their texts with needless exclamation marks, thereby lessening its impact. Or those who use it excessively, like this!!!!!!!!

• Haha
I was reading a Shirley Jackson book this morning and saw, "If he'd of been my friend you would have said plenty", and "She must of been glad to see him."

I only ever use the Oxford comma where there is ambiguity. Most of the time, it is unnecessary.
Noooo. Commas should be where you take a breath in a sentence. So if you said ‘she likes dogs, cats, hamsters and gerbils’. And then read it again with a comma after hamsters it reads totally differently!

also, how does anyone EVER mistake definitely for defiantly?! Like they are literally two different words?!

Reactions: 11
Noooo. Commas should be where you take a breath in a sentence. So if you said ‘she likes dogs, cats, hamsters and gerbils’. And then read it again with a comma after hamsters it reads totally differently!
Have to disagree :) For me, there's no ambiguity in that sentence at all. Most people would understand that you mean four different types of animals. The "and" is suffice, so no need for the Oxford comma.

Reactions: 1
People who start a sentence with 'like' for no discernible reason :D

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Where I used to work people would mix up was/ were. As an example they might say 'you was very good today'. These people were teachers and teaching assistants.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Not exactly grammar, but when people don't have the common courtesy to ask how someone's name is pronounced. Usually it's a non-English name, and instead of checking the pronunciation, they will continually make a half-arsed mess of it. I find names and their origins really interesting, and it's also a good way to get into a conversation with someone.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Ir
Have to disagree :) For me, there's no ambiguity in that sentence at all. Most people would understand that you mean four different types of animals. The "and" is suffice, so no need for the Oxford comma.
irs not the ambiguity. It’s the fact that if you take a breath in the places where the commas are, it doesn’t flow very well if you get to the last bit of the sentence and have to say ‘blah and blah’. Like the sentence speeds up and doesn’t fit with the rest of the sentence. If you said that sentence out loud you would say, dogs.., cats… hamsters… and gerbils. As opposed to, dogs… cats…. Hamsters and gerbils. I dunno, I just think it sounds super clunky without the Oxford comma!

• Haha
Not seen on here but on FB the use of the lower case A, pronounced like a, instead of I. For example, 'a went to the shops today' 'a hate it when that happens'.
My grammar isn't the best but that one's taking the pee.

• Haha
  • Wow
"Me either" really grates on me.

I used to get really irked by people who confuse than and then, but I've come to realise that it must be 99% of the population so I'm learning to let that one go.

Not seen on here but on FB the use of the lower case A, pronounced like a, instead of I. For example, 'a went to the shops today' 'a hate it when that happens'.
My grammar isn't the best but that one's taking the pee.
Isn't that a regional thing though? Like you know how sometimes people with a strong Scottish accent will type exactly as they talk?

Isn't that a regional thing though? Like you know how sometimes people with a strong Scottish accent will type exactly as they talk?
You'd think so but I've only ever seen it from scousers (I'm one too). Seems to be common in the youngsters and the wannabes.

Reactions: 1
Question- How many commas would you recommend to use in a normal paragraph?

Follow up question - would you put a comma in for every time you need to take a breath?

• Haha
Question- How many commas would you recommend to use in a normal paragraph?

Follow up question - would you put a comma in for every time you need to take a breath?
Question - are you deranged if you decipher the best wiki on tattle for petty non existent errors?

• Haha