Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
While I'm on my soapbox, 'somethink' is one I remember hating even as a kid. We didn't have a lot of money but I'm forever grateful to my mum for constantly correcting my speech.

Reactions: 13
I mean obviously there are people who will struggle with their grammar, spellings etc for various reasons, and that’s understandable. My gripe is with the people who know better but are just being lazy.

Reactions: 11
I mean obviously there are people who will struggle with their grammar, spellings etc for various reasons, and that’s understandable. My gripe is with the people who know better but are just being lazy.
For sure, my step-dad is dyslexic so I'd never laugh at his weird texts.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Spelling. I appreciate stupid spellcheck/text can automatically enter the wrong spelling/or homophones but when a person misspells the word in texts and I've even told them and they still continue to misspell it makes me mad, just correct your word history in your phone.
Omg how do you even tell them. I have a friend that constantly gets your/you’re to/too wrong. It grates me so bad - how do you even tell them without being a witch 😂

Well even more infuriating when autocorrect does a lot of it for you.

People who merge words that don’t work together as one.

Ex. “noone” instead of “no one”.
Thankyou

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
People who consistently spell someone's name wrong, even when they've known them for years, or when the name is right there in front of them on an email or social media. I'm thinking Micheal/Michael, Jane/Jayne, Jackie/Jacqui, etc.

Reactions: 9
Grammar’s not my strong point so I’m a bit of a hypocrite 😁 but I keep seeing people write seen rather than saw I.e. ‘I seen this on TV’ or ‘I seen her’.

Af first I thought maybe just a typo but I’m seeing it regularly now and it’s so bizarre and annoying. As if you’d even say that in real life let alone write it?

Reactions: 13
Grammar’s not my strong point so I’m a bit of a hypocrite 😁 but I keep seeing people write seen rather than saw I.e. ‘I seen this on TV’ or ‘I seen her’.

Af first I thought maybe just a typo but I’m seeing it regularly now and it’s so bizarre and annoying. As if you’d even say that in real life let alone write it?
I think some of it is an Irish thing too. A few Irish people that I know from work say it in speech ‘oh I seen this guy’ - I think it’s fairly common.

Reactions: 3
People who consistently spell someone's name wrong, even when they've known them for years, or when the name is right there in front of them on an email or social media. I'm thinking Micheal/Michael, Jane/Jayne, Jackie/Jacqui, etc.
I would not mix up Jane/Jayne, Jackie/Jacqui but Micheal/Michael look to me to be the same. I only know they are not because you have used it as an example. I normally have to C&P names

I get this a lot. Yes it's unusual but not that hard to spell!

Reactions: 2
My husband gets this a lot with his name. He’s used to it by now so it doesn’t bother him.

Reactions: 2
When people say "Can I get..."(a coffee, etc).

People who overuse or misuse "yourself/myself" as if it makes them sound more courteous. "Is there anything else I can get for yourself, madam?"

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I’ve mentioned this before but apparently this has something to do with Afrikaans language?

This is total MySpace era haha. It was everywhere.
Really? One of my friends is South African, she speaks Afrikaans so I might ask her about it. I've never heard her say it though.

Reactions: 1
Especially on social media , there's no excuse. It's already on the page , just copy it as it is written.

Reactions: 4