Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I still don’t understand apostrophes (and I’m in my mid 30’s)

Someone please teach me….. ?
An apostrophe is when your connecting two words the apostrophe goes where the missing letter is e.g has not - hasn’t.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned I haven’t read through the whole thread but I’ve seen this three times this morning ‘generally’ instead of ‘genuinely’ two different words with totally different meanings 🤬

• Heart
Reactions: 3
An apostrophe is when your connecting two words the apostrophe goes where the missing letter is e.g has not - hasn’t.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned I haven’t read through the whole thread but I’ve seen this three times this morning ‘generally’ instead of ‘genuinely’ two different words with totally different meanings 🤬
Genuinely, this is honestly brilliantly helpful! If only my KS2 teacher had explained it to me this way 😂

What’s the possessive thing about? Also, say a name ends in an S, what happens then? James’s or James’ or neither? Why?

Reactions: 1
Genuinely, this is honestly brilliantly helpful! If only my KS2 teacher had explained it to me this way 😂

What’s the possessive thing about? Also, say a name ends in an S, what happens then? James’s or James’ or neither? Why?
The possessive would be "It is Jane's book" and names that end in s just have an apostrophe so "It is James' book".

Reactions: 4

*as an example of correct apostrophe usage, the "your" in the first sentence should be "you're" - a contraction of the words you and are. 👌🏻

Native English speakers writing "can not" instead of "cannot" or, for instance, "why she is saying that?" instead of "why is she saying that?" These are perfectly understandable in people whose first language isn't English, but if it is your first language, yeah, it grates

I had an ex who frequently wrote "&c." (archaic form of etc.) I guess it's not wrong per se but it did look weird, lol

"Snickers" instead of "Sniggers" (when someone is chuckling)

"For all intensive purposes" instead of "For all intents and purposes"

I still don’t understand apostrophes (and I’m in my mid 30’s)

Someone please teach me….. ?
This is a very good guide:

I completed a medical transcription course a few years ago and our tutor was American. Some things she got so, so wrong! For example: she said that if you were writing about "seashells," you must put an apostrophe between the last 'l' and the 's' (to make it "seashell's") so people knew what you meant. Ummm - NO! Doing so would mean that you were suggesting that the ' was replacing the word 'is' in this case. I argued with her until I was blue in the face, and she ended up giving me a poor grade on that particular paper! (I challenged it and won).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I work in the education sector and today a colleague wrote to me using "your" instead of "you're" :rolleyes:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I work in the education sector and today a colleague wrote to me using "your" instead of "you're" :rolleyes:
It's really sad when educators can't get it right, the children they are teaching don't stand a hope :(
This is from the website of a school that one of my daughters was looking at for her son.
Screenshot_20220411-201205_WhatsApp.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 10
It's really sad when educators can't get it right, the children they are teaching don't stand a hope :(
This is from the website of a school that one of my daughters was looking at for her son.View attachment 1186837
Arghh! My eyes!

Or should I say, my eye’s!

How can a teacher make such a basic mistake?

• Haha
This is from the website of a school that one of my daughters was looking at for her son.View attachment 1186837
i used to work in a bookshop, and i always remember when a different member of staff stuck a sign in the window which Read "now open on Sunday's" - i was horrified and had to remove it immediately! 🤣

also, when i was in primary school, our class teacher taught all the children that the word "friend" is spelled "freind". like, if we spelt it correctly, she'd actively mark it wrong and alter to the wrong spelling! it wasn't until the parents noticed that all the kids in our class were having their homework corrected and all misspelling the word that they realised what was happening, and awkwardly had to highlight her mistake! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
"Low and behold" instead of "Lo and behold"
"The curtains compliment the flooring" instead of "The curtains complEment the flooring"
"Per say" instead of "Per se"

... I could go on all day!

• Haha
"The curtains compliment the flooring" instead of "The curtains complEment the flooring"

I've seen people write ' loan behold'

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Were you meant to put low and behold twice 🤣

• Haha
Someone on my facebook calls her child a torcher but she means torture. 😩

My biggest hate is people who say genuinely when they mean generally.

Reactions: 1