Grackle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She is definitely a people pleaser. She never states her opinions and/or ideas on anything she is interested in just to avoid controversy (i.e. church, baking etc.). For someone in their mid twenties that makes her very childish and not fully formed adult. That really is something that puts me off lately. She doesn't seem like she is growing as a human, just being stuck in her teens world.
I think this is very harsh. She doesn't owe you her opinions on such matters. You being nosy and wanting to know her in depth opinions on complex issues is more of a reflection of you, not her 'not being a fully formed adult (???)'. Her channel has never been about such matters and most of the information about what denominations she follows was found by weirdos stalking her family online to find info that she's never explicitly put on her youtube channel. Her not wanting to talk about it and keeping her channel light-hearted is just a personal choice that she's made, it has nothing to do with stunted growth or childishness...

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I think when you are associated with an institution that can have unsavoury views (LGBT as an example) such as the church, to not speak up in favour of the minority makes you complicit in the ongoing oppression of that group. I say this as a Christian myself, who for that reason has always been vocally pro-LGBT and pro-choice because I realise the consequences of not doing so.

To choose to be 'non-political' is a mark of privilege.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Grace is much more admirable than most youtubers. She does seem to push herself beyond her comfort zone. I think some of the criticism is unfair since she isn't trying to be everything for everyone. She's just exploring her interests in food, a bit of fashion, really trying to live her best life with trying new things and taking up hobbies without being preachy. Like when she took up couch 2 5k after saying that she wasn't much of a runner or athlete. Most other youtubers would have blown it out of proportion in to a series where they then spew faux inspiring nonsense. Also no one is watching her for her take on global geopolitics or changing social norms. I at least just want wholesome cozy content.

On other hand, no one is perfect and as her channel continues to grow and she tries new things, there will be growing pains. Like sometimes, when she does her food challenges, her research in to other food cultures or trends is a bit cursory. I can't think of an example of the top of my head but I've have definitely rolled my eyes hard at some of her comments I think about Asian cooking. Anyways, criticism is not necessarily "bashing" or "bullying" people are inevitably point out mistakes or inconsistencies of influencers or whoever who put themselves out there. She is however generally and literally gracious to feedback, comments, etc.

Reactions: 11
I think when you are associated with an institution that can have unsavoury views (LGBT as an example) such as the church, to not speak up in favour of the minority makes you complicit in the ongoing oppression of that group. I say this as a Christian myself, who for that reason has always been vocally pro-LGBT and pro-choice because I realise the consequences of not doing so.

To choose to be 'non-political' is a mark of privilege.
I do agree that being non political is a mark of privilege and it infuriates me when people can't be bothered to educate themselves enough to vote etc, however, I don't think that just because she belongs to a church, she should have to disclose all of her beliefs every time she mentions it - she hasn't even publicly revealed what church she belongs to. As a Jewish person, I hate when I'm made to give my opinions on international conflicts that I'm not responsible for, just because I'm Jewish. Especially with Judaism, people love to ask questions so that they can tokenise us. I think if she or somebody around her made a derogatory remark in a vlog and someone in the comments brought it up with her, I'd be wary if she ignored it just to avoid conflict but nothing has led me to believe that she isn't pro-lgbt, pro-choice etc like we are (I remember her recently shouting out a fan and her girlfriend that she met in costa or somewhere like that). I like to believe that she educates herself behind the scenes and doesn't make a big performative hoo-hah about current affairs like other influencers do, only for them to continue to appropriate minority cultures. As Told By Kenya on youtube uploaded a great video last week about how we pressure influencers and celebs into making statements about things they aren't qualified to talk about just to make ourselves feel better.

Reactions: 12
I do agree that being non political is a mark of privilege and it infuriates me when people can't be bothered to educate themselves enough to vote etc, however, I don't think that just because she belongs to a church, she should have to disclose all of her beliefs every time she mentions it - she hasn't even publicly revealed what church she belongs to. As a Jewish person, I hate when I'm made to give my opinions on international conflicts that I'm not responsible for, just because I'm Jewish. Especially with Judaism, people love to ask questions so that they can tokenise us. I think if she or somebody around her made a derogatory remark in a vlog and someone in the comments brought it up with her, I'd be wary if she ignored it just to avoid conflict but nothing has led me to believe that she isn't pro-lgbt, pro-choice etc like we are (I remember her recently shouting out a fan and her girlfriend that she met in costa or somewhere like that). I like to believe that she educates herself behind the scenes and doesn't make a big performative hoo-hah about current affairs like other influencers do, only for them to continue to appropriate minority cultures. As Told By Kenya on youtube uploaded a great video last week about how we pressure influencers and celebs into making statements about things they aren't qualified to talk about just to make ourselves feel better.
Im sure Grace knows she is privileged, even though people say she acts young for her age, she is pretty smart. There was a disclaimer in one of her video’s when George Floyd was moederen. She does know and she does seem to care.

Remember that she is not daily vlogging, she just shows us short bits of her life, it’s just entertainmant. She does not have to speak up about political views on a channel to mostly is about cooking and baking.

We dont know Grace, we dont know if in the ‘real’ world she is a christian who speaks up or doesnt about the troubles in the world. We Should just let her be and enjoy what she creates.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t think vloggers/influencers can win. If she spoke up about her political/moral/religious beliefs I’m sure she’d be hit with plenty of ‘I FoLlOw YoU fOr VlOgS nOt PoLiTiCs’ comments.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I don’t think vloggers/influencers can win. If she spoke up about her political/moral/religious beliefs I’m sure she’d be hit with plenty of ‘I FoLlOw YoU fOr VlOgS nOt PoLiTiCs’ comments.
yeh I agree, I have said before somethinbg about her church seems a bit weird to me and I cannot put my finger on it, but I would rather people in the public eye don't make vacuous statements about issues they don't understand properly, that is why we have journalists etc. I don't need to be educated on something important by a youtuber who doesn't really underestand the issue more than me anyway

• Heart
Reactions: 8
She's clearly such a lovely, genuine, bright, generous soul and I don't know why anyone would take time out of their day to come on here and put her down for no reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
If she shared her political/religious beliefs I wouldn’t mind but people somewhere would complain about it, she doesn’t and people still complain. So I agree, she cant win being a youtuber there's always going to be someone out there finding something about her to criticise even though she's clearly a lovely and genuine person. Literally everything has become polticised in some way so I’m also not sure I entirely agree with being nonpolitical = privilege. I like to see her baking and just chilling with her family, that’s the main reason why I watch.

Reactions: 7
If she shared her political/religious beliefs I wouldn’t mind but people somewhere would complain about it, she doesn’t and people still complain. So I agree, she cant win being a youtuber there's always going to be someone out there finding something about her to criticise even though she's clearly a lovely and genuine person. Literally everything has become polticised in some way so I’m also not sure I entirely agree with being nonpolitical = privilege. I like to see her baking and just chilling with her family, that’s the main reason why I watch.
I agree with this.

I love a bit of politics (I have a degree in it) but I don't want nor care to want to learn everyones ideologies and political beliefs etc in order to watch little family vlogs on YouTube. As long as she isn't engaging in targeted hate (racism, sexism, homophobia ... ), or pushing her followers to support things that do push these horrible ideals, then she's great in my book. If I only followed people exactly the same as me, i'd be bored to death. Yeah, she may be religious and I am not the biggest fan of organised religion, but she doesn't push her family and their beliefs on those who watch her at all --so there's really not an issue there.

If I were her, I wouldn't talk about it either, and she shouldn't have to.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
In her video today (living without time for 24h), she gets a HelloFresh box and says 'this isn't sponsored i've never done a sponsorship'. I know we have mentioned this before but that is so crazy?! i thought maybe she had some stuff going on behind the scenes but she's got almost 400k subs, must get loads of offers, but has chosen never to do any sponsored content?! totally respect her decision and think it makes her content really refreshing, i just wonder how she makes a full time job off just video views etc. i wouldn't mind her doing sponsorships and actually think i'd really value her opinion!

Reactions: 17
She's so ridiculously creative. She puts so many other youtubers to shame with their constant uninspired q&as and mukbangs. I think she'd be amazing in product development for food companies.

Reactions: 10
I imagine that she is able to make money from YT because her views are always pretty good?? I mean you see YTs with over a million subscribers who struggle now to reach even 100k views sometimes but she averages more than 100k for most vids, so that might mean she is not in need of sponsors/ads compared to those who have lots of subs but less views. (No idea really how money and stuff works with creating content haha so I might be really off the mark!)

Reactions: 7
She probably has a good amount of savings from her modelling days I would imagine already so maybe the income from views alone is enough for her. I’m just making assumptions but I don’t get the impression she pays rent to her parents. I think they are comfortable enough to allow her and her sister to live there and save. She is pretty lucky tbh. I think she probably buys a lot of food and groceries though to help out

Reactions: 4
She probably has a good amount of savings from her modelling days I would imagine already so maybe the income from views alone is enough for her. I’m just making assumptions but I don’t get the impression she pays rent to her parents. I think they are comfortable enough to allow her and her sister to live there and save. She is pretty lucky tbh. I think she probably buys a lot of food and groceries though to help out
Would she have earned that much through modelling, and still have it saved? She stopped a good while ago, and didn't model for long - I have no idea how much it pays!

I doubt they charge her rent! But she definitely does help out - doing the washing, cooking, probably cleaning, buying groceries.

Reactions: 4
Would she have earned that much through modelling, and still have it saved? She stopped a good while ago, and didn't model for long - I have no idea how much it pays!

I doubt they charge her rent! But she definitely does help out - doing the washing, cooking, probably cleaning, buying groceries.
she did model for some pretty big designers and fashion houses! Obviously I don’t know how much she made but I think the pay is decent. I imagine it went straight to savings and I would think it’s still there. She did have a part time job after the modelling she babysits very often so she had other forms of income. I reckon she has a nice chunk in the bank from the modelling. Just what I think

Reactions: 2
I think also (from my impression anyway) she views youtube as more of a hobby than a job and wants to work outside it. but yeh if she is living at homeand not paying rent for the moment she doesn't need to earn too much anyway

Reactions: 2
I LOVE that Grace buys everyone in her fam an advent calendar every year. Honestly I look forward to seeing her choices haha. She always finds ones that I have never even heard of/seen

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.