Grackle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It seems that every youtuber becomes a bit more hyper, "on" all the time, and performing once they become more popular...I think all the feedback about how fun/positive/quirky, etc they are makes them subconsciously prop up this side of their personality...Grackle at <100k subscribers was more chill and natural AND still seemed like a really fun friend to hang out with. At least good on her for still being quite creative...

The only other thing that really annoys me is that Grace seems like a mediocre baker (not much better than a keen amateur would be) and more rustic than aesthetic fine pastry which itself is fine...I dunno her skills seem lacking for someone with a baking degree.
This hits the nail on the head perfectly.

Agree with the baking too, I'm surprised about her background. The Colin the caterpillar 😐

Shr did say she was more into the technical?? Side of baking. Not entirely sure what that meant. Perhaps the theory rather than the execution?

Reactions: 2
Don't start Grack bashing. She is the only down to earth and natural you tube left amongst a load of dicks. Embrace her innocence, childlike moods, filter and fake free face and look at the effort she puts in compared to some other so called you tubers that should have hung their keyboards up a long time ago

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 40
I think a lot of the complaints here are somewhat a result of lockdown making current videos a bit repetitive and lacklustre, I adore Grace. 🥺 I do think she still seems like the same Grace, though maybe her personality has to be a little more forced just to keep her going lately(?), she’s absolutely a people person and the lockdown restrictions must be putting a massive dampener on it.

As for the baking degree, a lot of what went into it seems to be product design, nutrition, labelling etc as well as the practical baking side, just instilling the basics of baking really ... I wouldn’t say she’s at an amateur level at all —but I understand where you’re coming from. I’m assuming your comment about Colin was because hers didn’t look as pro as you would expect (I can’t remember the video much tbh), but I think it’s hard to judge as everyone has particular skills and hers (God love her) have never really been the design side of the bake.

Reactions: 8
honestly i think it is great that she still finds baking fun after doing it as a degree, and she doesnt wave it in our faces that she has a baking degree either. i also think it sounds like her degree was very theoretical and the cooking part was not the whole thing that she got graded on so she is not going to be perfect at everything she bakes/cooks. i quite like that she makes mistakes, it makes her seem more humble.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Could someone point me to the Colin the Caterpillar video?
Can’t find it but I love a Colin

Reactions: 1
In the past Grace had said that she doesn’t really like portraying the image of a ‘professional baker’ and doing videos like someone above mentioned (ie getting technical etc) and I can’t blame her. Doing those things opens you up to so much scrutiny. If she did videos like that, she would get people blasting her in the comments saying she ‘said the wrong thing’ or what she said wasn’t ‘accurate’ so I’m sure she doesn’t want to come across like ‘she knows best’ because people would 100% pick her apart.

And yeah she’s said so many times that she’s more interested in the product development side of baking and that’s where she thrives. People on here mentioning how she’s not really that ‘skilled’ at baking just because she’s not a keen decorator is probably the very reason she doesn’t want to do in-depth baking videos. She knows people will pull her apart for it 🤷🏼‍♀️.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
In the past Grace had said that she doesn’t really like portraying the image of a ‘professional baker’ and doing videos like someone above mentioned (ie getting technical etc) and I can’t blame her. Doing those things opens you up to so much scrutiny. If she did videos like that, she would get people blasting her in the comments saying she ‘said the wrong thing’ or what she said wasn’t ‘accurate’ so I’m sure she doesn’t want to come across like ‘she knows best’ because people would 100% pick her apart.

And yeah she’s said so many times that she’s more interested in the product development side of baking and that’s where she thrives. People on here mentioning how she’s not really that ‘skilled’ at baking just because she’s not a keen decorator is probably the very reason she doesn’t want to do in-depth baking videos. She knows people will pull her apart for it 🤷🏼‍♀️.
^^^ Agree with this 100%, and I fully support the content she makes.

If she started doing the 'professional baker makes ____' it wouldn't be true to her, and honestly there's so many baking channels that we can get content like that from -- I watch Grace's videos because I adore her personality.

She is definitely a people pleaser. She never states her opinions and/or ideas on anything she is interested in just to avoid controversy (i.e. church, baking etc.). For someone in their mid twenties that makes her very childish and not fully formed adult. That really is something that puts me off lately. She doesn't seem like she is growing as a human, just being stuck in her teens world.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I think she bakes for fun, she doesn't take herself too seriously. The Colin the Caterpillar cake was a box cake!

Reactions: 6
What sort of opinions in particular should she be sharing?

I don’t think her content is exactly meant to be all that deep and her and her family don’t seem to be the type of people to be that vocal on things, they are very laid back and she does seem very sensitive to criticism, which I can understand not wanting to share everything as her audience has really grown.

I am kind of curious on her thoughts on Christianity and how its shaped her life though, but I know most people don’t care for that kind of thing and if she doesn’t feel comfortable talking about it that doesn’t bother me.

Reactions: 8
She is definitely a people pleaser. She never states her opinions and/or ideas on anything she is interested in just to avoid controversy (i.e. church, baking etc.). For someone in their mid twenties that makes her very childish and not fully formed adult. That really is something that puts me off lately. She doesn't seem like she is growing as a human, just being stuck in her teens world.
I think it's a little unfair to say someone isn't growing as a human when we only see the content they put out, especially during a global pandemic? She's said a lot that she doesn't like change, and she's a massive homebody, so all of this can be overwhelming no matter the age. We don't have to know everything about a person to enjoy the content that they create, and this separation between us as viewers, and her, is fair. Perhaps you've changed somewhat, and she is no longer your cup of tea? (Which is fine. <3)

I definitely agree with @opal73 above, it's daunting having a big platform and she shouldn't have to start a conversation on topics such as religion when they're usually very controversial. She obviously enjoys church, or at the very least the youth club she helps at, so I don't think she'd come straight out with a video criticising religion, or defending it. It's doesn't really seem to be her sort of thing.

• Heart
I think it's a little unfair to say someone isn't growing as a human when we only see the content they put out, especially during a global pandemic? She's said a lot that she doesn't like change, and she's a massive homebody, so all of this can be overwhelming no matter the age.
I think Grace also mentioned earlier this year that 2020 was supposed to be the year she overcame her somewhat debilitating homesickness through travelling, which I think would have helped her development a lot. That was obviously put on hold so I think she might be feeling a bit stuck at the moment (aren't we all?). I still love having her videos on in the background, she just makes me feel very calm and her interactions with her family are so enjoyable to watch!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I think Grace also mentioned earlier this year that 2020 was supposed to be the year she overcame her somewhat debilitating homesickness through travelling, which I think would have helped her development a lot. That was obviously put on hold so I think she might be feeling a bit stuck at the moment (aren't we all?). I still love having her videos on in the background, she just makes me feel very calm and her interactions with her family are so enjoyable to watch!
Exactly this, a lot of people aren't 'growing' in 2020, but they're doing an absolutely fantastic job at keeping afloat. I love Grace, she has such a kind energy about her, she just seems like a great person.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Exactly this, a lot of people aren't 'growing' in 2020, but they're doing an absolutely fantastic job at keeping afloat. I love Grace, she has such a kind energy about her, she just seems like a great person.
yeh I think it is noticeable that compared to other youtubers her content is still creative in a difficult situation, not just boring vlogs or mundane food challenges like other people. I also appreciate how genuinley grateful she seems when she is gifted things

Oh I love this mindset! I also feel like I haven't been "growing" as much this year, quarantine has made it really hard to keep challenging my social anxiety/agoraphobia. I guess we're all really just trying to get through this! Thank you for this comment! x

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Overall I think Grackle is miles ahead of most youtuber in dedication/organization, creativity, being genuine and humble and of course we criticize people who put themselves online much harshly then we would a real life friend. Also people are viewing her with many different backgrounds and the difference of her life vs. theirs can create unnecessary criticism where if someone and their friend group tends to move out by uni/22, Grace staying at her parents seems "abnormal" when it isn't really.

The thing about "product development" is that it is LITERALLY creating, fine tuning/adjusting iterations of a bake or food product, either on an industrial or mom and pop level. You really need to know the ins and outs of how each ingredient or technical choice alters a bake and be willing to slog through the process of optimizing each element. So I think there seems to be a disconnect between what she thought she would do with her uni background and then this youtuber career that took off towards the end of her degree. It's not uncommon for new grads to face this dilemma once they graduate, not criticizing her for it. She's lovely and I think she could make this happen in a really cool way even a la Claire from Bon Appetit. Who knows maybe she is working on it?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Overall I think Grackle is miles ahead of most youtuber in dedication/organization, creativity, being genuine and humble and of course we criticize people who put themselves online much harshly then we would a real life friend. Also people are viewing her with many different backgrounds and the difference of her life vs. theirs can create unnecessary criticism where if someone and their friend group tends to move out by uni/22, Grace staying at her parents seems "abnormal" when it isn't really.

The thing about "product development" is that it is LITERALLY creating, fine tuning/adjusting iterations of a bake or food product, either on an industrial or mom and pop level. You really need to know the ins and outs of how each ingredient or technical choice alters a bake and be willing to slog through the process of optimizing each element. So I think there seems to be a disconnect between what she thought she would do with her uni background and then this youtuber career that took off towards the end of her degree. It's not uncommon for new grads to face this dilemma once they graduate, not criticizing her for it. She's lovely and I think she could make this happen in a really cool way even a la Claire from Bon Appetit. Who knows maybe she is working on it?
yeh I think that was probably the aim of her degree, if you wanted to be a baker etc you would just do culinary school/some kind of internetship not a degree, it is similar when you do Food Tech at GCSe (not comparing the two obviously lol) but the aim isn't so much just "cooking" btu the whole development/marketing of products (at least that was my experience)

Reactions: 2
I'm often very critical of youtubers but I can't criticise Grace. I find her refreshingly honest, she puts effort in and will openly say if something didn't go or feel right. She has a unique style, random analogies and that probably does come across as immature to some but she's filming her own ideas not acting for a brand, following a sponsors script or force feeding us AD after AD after AD. In today's world of Influencers she's one of the most down to earth and humble girls out there.

The thing I like is you can tell she’s productive throughout the day unlike a lot of youtubers who roll out of bed at lunchtime and stay in their pyjamas all day. She gets up early, obviously helps out a lot around the house, bakes and most likely cooks dinner for her family whilst they’re out at work and does her YouTube stuff. She actually fills her day rather than just waiting for another brand deal.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.