Grackle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean the folk criticising her on here, as I agree it's a dedicated gossip site so it kinda comes with the territory. I also think criticising lockdown breaking is a totally different thing!! And yes, I also agree that she isn't necessarily cut out for the influencer life! Basically, apologies if my comment seemed like I was having a go, I didn't mean to!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think her Q+A proved that it’s not just Tattle with the questions on boyfriends, Chloe etc too.

I do think she finds the criticism hard, it was the same in that quiz she got people to fill in. I do think if she doesn’t want the criticism she shouldn’t invite it via wide open Q+As or the quizzes though.

Reactions: 2
I think her wee bit explaining why there wasn't a vlog for chloe moving out also shows she is more mature than we give her credit for on here. I am abit gutted she didn't answer my question though, I asked if her or anyone in her family accidentally drops an F bomb as they are all so well spoken & I just can't imagine them swearing 😂
Long time lurker here and I’ve been watching Grace since she started her YouTube channel. Her parents and her I believe are quite religious and coming from a religious background myself, swearing isn’t really in our vocabulary! Although we can “slip up from time to time” 😂

Reactions: 4
Long time lurker here and I’ve been watching Grace since she started her YouTube channel. Her parents and her I believe are quite religious and coming from a religious background myself, swearing isn’t really in our vocabulary! Although we can “slip up from time to time” 😂
😂😂 yeah I couldn't imagine any of them swearing. I've heard Grace in the past say "flip" & I wondered if those flips ever turned into the odd duck. Even her Dad who seems most laid back in that way i can't imagine saying "tit" if his tea is too hot. its so funny to me cause I'm from such a sweary background (scottish!) I cant believe Grace's gut instinct wouldn't be to scream "fucks sake" when she dropped whatever it was all over her mum's hob 🙈😂 isn't it funny how different we all are! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: 11
😂😂 yeah I couldn't imagine any of them swearing. I've heard Grace in the past say "flip" & I wondered if those flips ever turned into the odd duck. Even her Dad who seems most laid back in that way i can't imagine saying "tit" if his tea is too hot. its so funny to me cause I'm from such a sweary background (scottish!) I cant believe Grace's gut instinct wouldn't be to scream "fucks sake" when she dropped whatever it was all over her mum's hob 🙈😂 isn't it funny how different we all are! 😊
Same, I come from such a sweary background and it’s so funny to me that they don’t. I suppose maybe flip has the same weighting to them but I can’t imagine it being as satisfying to yell as duck. It must be brill for YouTube though as they’re genuinely that wholesome that they don’t swear and it’s not an effort to not do it.

Reactions: 2
Same, I come from such a sweary background and it’s so funny to me that they don’t. I suppose maybe flip has the same weighting to them but I can’t imagine it being as satisfying to yell as duck. It must be brill for YouTube though as they’re genuinely that wholesome that they don’t swear and it’s not an effort to not do it.
I do often wonder about their family though. I feel like her mum and dad are very religious so follow all the rules of sex before marriage, no swearing/smoking/excessive drinking etc but Jesse and Chloe have swayed? When I moved in with my boyfriend, my grandma was livid because we weren’t married! I feel like Grace would follow her parents footsteps such as looking for a Christian boy to fall in love with

Reactions: 1
yep I completely agree. She has broken lockdown rules and I’m not defending her for it. She’s an adult and she should take responsibility for her actions whether she’s sensitive or not I get that.
My point was..I don’t think she is the right sort of person to be an ‘influencer’. She’s very childlike in some ways as other people have pointed out but I don’t believe that to be a bad thing. It is natural for people to comment on you if you’re a social media figure sometimes they’re good comments, sometimes their constructive criticism and other times it is just trolling (death threats etc which I doubt is relevant in Graces case but some people do get them). I personally think Grace is likely to take those comments more to heart than some others would since she doesn’t have to much life experience outside her family home, once again that’s what you get when you put your life out there it’s just an observation of her personality.
What's your basis for thinking Grace would take comments more to heart? Be more sensitive? I think that's irrelevant for whether someone is cut out to be an influencer or famous, etc

Bar sociopaths, everyone has feelings and criticism from trolls is going to hurt even with the knowledge that it's objectively false. No one would do well being bombarded with hate. I worry more about people who are impulsive and have a borderline personality of sorts, who lack self-esteem or support basis outside of their internet fans, who try to become influencers. These personalities would tend to lash out at others or themselves.

If anything I think Grace is really lucky that she has a decent sense of self-esteem, takes up hobbies for meaningful self-care like exercise, and is clearly authentically close with her family.

Reactions: 7
What's your basis for thinking Grace would take comments more to heart? Be more sensitive? I think that's irrelevant for whether someone is cut out to be an influencer or famous, etc

Bar sociopaths, everyone has feelings and criticism from trolls is going to hurt even with the knowledge that it's objectively false. No one would do well being bombarded with hate. I worry more about people who are impulsive and have a borderline personality of sorts, who lack self-esteem or support basis outside of their internet fans, who try to become influencers. These personalities would tend to lash out at others or themselves.

If anything I think Grace is really lucky that she has a decent sense of self-esteem, takes up hobbies for meaningful self-care like exercise, and is clearly authentically close with her family.
Of course many other influencers experience comments of a varying degree but the majority of them seem content with gifted items, brand deals and large sums of money to let it massively effect them. They also have a sense of entitlement that leads them to believe anyone who has an opposing view to them is a ‘jealous fat ugly troll’ and hide behind ‘be kind’ as an excuse to do as they please and avoid backlash for rule breaking etc (just to point out I DO agree with ‘be kind’ and don’t condone horrendous online abuse, but calling someone out for breaking lockdown rules or just disagreeing with them and them saying ‘be kind’ is a complete misinterpretation of the phrase)

Grace is different, I don’t know her personally obviously but to me she comes across as someone who would take the criticism to heart and allow that to change her as a person which would perhaps lose her authenticity, which is why many of us watch her.

I agree with you that she is so lucky to have a supportive and loving family around her who help keep her grounded. She has a lot to offer and I am not saying she shouldn’t be an influencer, if anything I wish for her to continue i enjoy her content and will continue to support her. I simply mean that from my personal observations she is quite sensitive and would take any comments (even just small observations) to heart.

Reactions: 1
Grace seems to take on a lot of responsibility around the house; she does her own washing, cooks, cleans etc which is clear from her vlogs. I mean, the girl did her own tax return and she is basically running her own business (YouTube is a job after all) and she is keen on buying a house and moving out so I definitely don’t think she’s immature.

I think people are confusing her bubbly, sometimes over excited personality, for immaturity which I think is unfair.

I live near(ish) to her, or at least close to where she tends to shop and it’s VERY expensive to live here. I bought my flat a few years ago and it was not cheap!! I’m 26 and a lot of my friends still live at home or are renting in flat shares.
It is completely normal in our area for a 23 year old to be living at home and saving to buy so I don’t think anyone can say this makes her immature. I’m not sure where everyone else is from on this thread but perhaps it’s different up north as it is so so so much cheaper.

I really like Grace and her passion for the simple things in life. She is just a happy soul! Once lockdown is over I think she’ll be moving out or travelling.

P.s I think it’s weird for a 23 year old to be judged for not having a boyfriend! I hope she doesn’t feel pressured as it really isn’t a big deal.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I recently moved back to Dubai for my husbands job so I totally understand expenses. I am not confusing the fact she lives at home at 23 as being immature.
I am referring specifically to moments where she demonstrates immaturity for her age. Examples such as crying on Christmas Day, getting exited to go to Build A Bear Factory etc. I am not saying these are bad things at all, I would be thrilled if my daughters acted like her. She has not bowed down to peer pressures she must feel in regards to getting a boyfriend, moving out or wearing/dressing a certain way and that demonstrates a strong sense of self awareness which I really admire.
Grace has even said herself she is basically a child in a woman’s body 🤷‍♀️ I really like Grace and she is probably the only influencer I can actually stand (especially since a load of them came to Dubai and screwed everything up for us residents) and so I am glad she is the way she is. Stating that she demonstrates childish behaviour occasionally is not a criticism it is merely an observation, and something that I like others have said find endearing. It is a quality I actually LIKE about her.

Reactions: 6
I love Grace’s “immaturity” (naivety?). Its just lovely in a world saturated with non stop excess and depressing opinion.

Reactions: 15
Grace has even said herself she is basically a child in a woman’s body 🤷‍♀️ I really like Grace and she is probably the only influencer I can actually stand (especially since a load of them came to Dubai and screwed everything up for us residents) and so I am glad she is the way she is. Stating that she demonstrates childish behaviour occasionally is not a criticism it is merely an observation, and something that I like others have said find endearing. It is a quality I actually LIKE about her.
I think you've picked out the important distinction. She isn't necessarily immature, she just has some moment of being quite childish. But I do think a lot of those examples are times when a lot older people will want to act the same way, they just don't tend to do it in public. I have been to a wedding of someone in their 30s that was Disney themed. I have a friend in their 30s that collects build a bear toys.

I do think praising her for doing her own laundry and cooking is a bit extreme though, lots of kids are expected to that from a much earlier age, and everyone who moves out to go to uni or just moves out at 18 does it. At 23, many people have families to look after so being impressed she does some washing and baking is infantilising her a bit.

Reactions: 12
One of the problems with this thread is people not knowing what the law in the UK is at the time she recorded a segment, and just assuming they know what the law is, and then being cross at her for breaking that imaginary law.

When you carefully watch her videos and cross reference the timings with Insta you'll see she hasn't broken any law.

She hasn't even broken the official guidance.

It's the same for Advertising Standards: you only need to declare that it's an ad if the company tells you what to say. If they give you a product and ask you to talk about it you don't need to declare that. If they give you a product and pay you money and ask you to talk about it you don't need to declare that either. If they give you anything, and then tell you what to say, that's what needs to be said.

It's the same for Advertising Standards: you only need to declare that it's an ad if the company tells you what to say. If they give you a product and ask you to talk about it you don't need to declare that. If they give you a product and pay you money and ask you to talk about it you don't need to declare that either. If they give you anything, and then tell you what to say, that's what needs to be said.
Wrong actually. Everything basically needs to be tagged as #AD these days. Whether it's simply a gifted item, or paid partnership, regardless of editorial control.

Reactions: 16
One of the problems with this thread is people not knowing what the law in the UK is at the time she recorded a segment, and just assuming they know what the law is, and then being cross at her for breaking that imaginary law.

When you carefully watch her videos and cross reference the timings with Insta you'll see she hasn't broken any law.

The issue with this is a lot of the clues to at least the bubble rules being broken were on her stories, so they’ve vanished and it’s not possible to cross-reference the timings. The Honor five guys footage is in her own vlog to see still though.

As for laws, the vast majority of influencers jetting off to Dubai weren’t breaking any laws at the time they did it, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do it or broadcast it.

Reactions: 5
Are we praising 23 year olds for doing their own washing and helping out around the house. Most children above 13 should be doing all above.

You are so wrong go to ASA and look up the rules. If they are paying you it’s an AD end of . If they gifted you something for free and you show it it’s an AD. The item you received is a payment in itself .

Last edited:
I do think shes great as I've said on here but will be honest sometimes i do struggle to watch her, completely not her fault, but I guess since we are the same age and feel like we have some similarities but our lives are so different. I'm not one to really get jealous over celebrities lives or wish I was them but I look at Grace and really do wish I was more like her. I have felt like this more over girls I used to be friends with at school and seeing all the great things they are doing now I guess Grace is just like them too. It's quite pathetc really and I feel like at 22 I'm a bit old to be wishing I was someone else. Obviously she's worked really hard to be as successful as she is and I'm genuinely happy for her to have done so well in her degree, YouTube, etc and she has a lovely family and good circle of friends. She seems confident and happy to be who she really is and I admire that. Just as sometime who grew up in foster care and then was placed back into an abusive family situation that I had to run away from then ended up homeless for two years and still struggle with anxiety, depression, ptsd from it I have always wished to have some sort of family and hers seems like such a happy one and it goes from upsetting me to being sort of weirdly nice to watch every week like one day if I do have kids I will to raise them in a happy family home like hers to feeling sad that I don't know what it's like to have that relationship with family.

I don't really know what the point of posting this is, I just wonder if anyone else feels the same about anyone on youtube? And, of course I know that just because she appears happy online everybody has their struggles and no one's life is 100% perfect and nobody should be jealous over anyone. It's not a nice way to be and I know that so don't want to seem rude by saying this I guess it's just on my mind and don't really have anywhere else I can speak about it. xx

I realise you posted this nearly a year ago, and this year has been sh*iiiit but I hope you're ok and doing better. Xxx

Wrong actually. Everything basically needs to be tagged as #AD these days. Whether it's simply a gifted item, or paid partnership, regardless of editorial control.
People have mentioned Advertising Standards. ASA only get involved if the advertising company have editorial control over the ad. Feel free to post a link to the ASA pages if you think they say something different. People don't mean ASA, the mean CMA. But this supports my point that they don't really know what they're talking about. If they can't name the relevant government organisation how can I trust that they got the actual law right?

The CMA is fine with [ad].

Every post by Grackle discloses, up front, the relationship between her and the supplier.

From the CMA:

> It is not likely that there will be just ‘one way’ of explaining your relationship to a brand. The CMA takes the view that ‘Advertisement Feature’ or ‘Advertisement Promotion’, are useful descriptions, but it has seen a range of other wording, (including #Ad, #Advert, and using the ‘Paid Partnership’ tool on Instagram in addition to these hashtags), which convey the appropriate messages simply and effectively.

From ASA

When a brand gives an influencer a ‘payment’ (i.e. any form of monetary payment, free loan of a product/service, any incentive and/or commission or a product/service has been given free), any resulting posts promoting the brand become subject to consumer protection law enforced by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA). When a brand also has editorial control over the content, the ASA can apply the CAP Code as well.The CAP Code also applies to affiliate marketing and instances where an influencer is promoting their own products or services (See ‘Online Affiliate Marketing’ and ‘Recognising ads: Brand-owned and paid social media’). Though the ASA and CAP accept there are differences between the underlying relationships, the same requirement to make these types of posts recognisable as ads applies.

clearly states that you need to declare it a AD even if the company dont tell you what to say or pay you for your post. The free product in itself is an AD so when you said this below. You were wrong .

“It's the same for Advertising Standards: you only need to declare that it's an ad if the company tells you what to say. If they give you a product and ask you to talk about it you don't need to declare that. If they give you a product and pay you money and ask you to talk about it you don't need to declare that either. If they give you anything, and then tell you what to say, that's what needs to be said.”

• Heart
How good does she look in that pink hoodie in her latest vid? That shade of pink really suits her!

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.