Grackle #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No one would mention Grace's religion if she wasn't a Christian. It's still bigotry and religious intolerance even when they are a white Christian. Grace has every right to practice her religion and follow the cultures of that religion and she has a right to do so without being criticised or judged for it. And I'm saying that as an atheist.
i would, i personally consider any religion that teaches that women are second class beings made to serve men is sexist and misogynistic, she has every right to follow if she wants but rational criticism of her religion is allowed. people aren’t protected from “judgement” just because they believe in god and debate and criticism is NOT religious intolerance 😂

Reactions: 15
…. Please show me at which point I said that christianity (or any religion for that matter) isn’t also problematic in terms of the way women are seen and treated? Lmao
wow excellent sentence structure this reply makes no sense lmao

At the end of the day … is it that deep 😂
i just personally know a lot of girls
who were pressured into rash decisions by their religion and i hate to think of someone like grace living the miserable lives i’ve seen come out of those marriages

Reactions: 1
What is it that you’re struggling to understand about what I said? I don’t know how much more simply I can put this, but I’ll try: I never suggested that religion wasn’t misogynistic.
I’m dyslexic and if your only response is to pull me up on the way I structured my sentence, I’m going to assume you don’t really have much of an argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
i would, i personally consider any religion that teaches that women are second class beings made to serve men is sexist and misogynistic, she has every right to follow if she wants but rational criticism of her religion is allowed. people aren’t protected from “judgement” just because they believe in god and debate and criticism is NOT religious intolerance 😂
I am not supporting the religion, I am choosing to not condemn the person that believes in it. Grace herself should be protected from the awful judgemental people on this thread. It's her you are all talking about and none of you would be saying it if she was a young Muslim woman getting married to her first boyfriend and nor should you. People are entitled to follow their religion and embrace the culture of it. If you have a problem with a particular religion or subsect of a religion because of misogyny, maybe don't aim that ire at a young woman

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Also, Christians these days aren't enforcing that women are second rate beings unless they're extremely fundamental

I think we can still be delighted and excited for her AND feel iffy about the religious aspect of dating/marriage that multiple religions follow. Nobody can dispute how happy she is now though. As I mentioned earlier, I’m Jewish and question the borderline arranged marriage aspect of dating among really religious Jews. Not saying that’s what’s happened with Grace at all btw. I think any influencer thread would be full of discussions if they got engaged to someone they didn’t know a few months ago.

Reactions: 7
I am not supporting the religion, I am choosing to not condemn the person that believes in it. Grace herself should be protected from the awful judgemental people on this thread. It's her you are all talking about and none of you would be saying it if she was a young Muslim woman getting married to her first boyfriend and nor should you. People are entitled to follow their religion and embrace the culture of it. If you have a problem with a particular religion or subsect of a religion because of misogyny, maybe don't aim that ire at a young woman
they would be saying it if she was a muslim girl or a jewish girl or a hindu girl. i've seen it said before on this forum so i don't get why everyone's turning it into some massive criticism of christianity. i've seen it said over and over again that this person's marriage won't last because they got married so early/haven't dated anyone else. sometimes they're right but a lot of the times they're wrong.

Reactions: 4

i just personally know a lot of girls
who were pressured into rash decisions by their religion and i hate to think of someone like grace living the miserable lives i’ve seen come out of those marriages
But you don’t know Grace lol. You KNOW a lot of girls yes but you don’t KNOW Grace or the situation she’s in. This is one big assumption and it’s so boring at the end of the day she’s happy regardless of how it came about. Everyone’s telling the girl to grow up etc and she does that and gets engaged yk starting her life n Jesus Christ you would’ve thought she kicked you lots grandma. WHO CARES 😭😭

She’s found someone that loves her. Whether it was arranged or they met online or they bumped into eachother as sainsburys she’s found someone that accepts her for how she is. I’ve been dating my bf for like 11 months I’d happily marry him now and I’m 21 it doesn’t matter the length of the relationship all that matter is the actual relationship and the dynamics of how it works. If she’s happy why does it matter about the foundation of their relationship. No wonder she kept it private 😂

Reactions: 8
Also, Christians these days aren't enforcing that women are second rate beings unless they're extremely fundamental
I had a whole reply and I lost it. While most churches won’t come out and say it, you’re right, evangelical churches like the kind Grace belongs to view women as equal only if they live up to strictly expected roles - be feminine, get married, have kids. They might not say “women are less” but the standards for being a “godly” women are quite constrictive. Men have standards, sure, but they have more wiggle room. A man’s purpose isn’t to be a father, but a woman’s purpose is viewed as wife and mother. Single men often have roles in the church, single women almost never.

Reactions: 6
I don’t think either of Grace’s siblings have had children yet and they’ve both been married a little while now. Of course that might not be their choice but they must be more lenient on contraception these days. I can’t see Grace having a baby anytime soon idk. Otherwise would they only have sex in order to conceive and never for the fun of it? Sorry if that comes across ignorant.

Reactions: 2
I don’t think either of Grace’s siblings have had children yet and they’ve both been married a little while now. Of course that might not be their choice but they must be more lenient on contraception these days. I can’t see Grace having a baby anytime soon idk. Otherwise would they only have sex in order to conceive and never for the fun of it? Sorry if that comes across ignorant.
Technically in religion that is what sex is for, hence the banning of gay relationships as a relationship is supposed to be a union to have children (obviously I don't agree but I went to a Catholic school and this is what we were taught)

Technically in religion that is what sex is for, hence the banning of gay relationships as a relationship is supposed to be a union to have children (obviously I don't agree but I went to a Catholic school and this is what we were taught)
I went to a Jewish school where the majority of us students were secular but we were given an orthodox Jewish education. I think condoms are a definite ‘no’ as they ‘destroy the sperm’ but other forms of contraception like the pill and IUD are allowed. Something to do with women not being obligated to procreate but men are. Idk if it’s any similar in Christianity😭😭

I went to a Jewish school where the majority of us students were secular but we were given an orthodox Jewish education. I think condoms are a definite ‘no’ as they ‘destroy the sperm’ but other forms of contraception like the pill and IUD are allowed. Something to do with women not being obligated to procreate but men are. Idk if it’s any similar in Christianity😭😭
As far as I am aware birth control of any kind is not strixtly allowed in Christianity (obviously nowadays things are changing and we were taught about condoms and birth control at school but still technically it is all frowned upon)

• Wow
I'm Catholicism, no form of contraception is OK as Catholics believe that life starts at conception, ie as soon as the sperm enters the ovum. The most acceptable form of preventing pregnancy is the rhythm method. In Catholicism sex is not done for fun, it is purely for procreation, they were instructed to 'go forth and multiply'. I'm sure that for all Christians it is the same but I had a Catholic education so that's the denomination I'm certain about.

Obviously though, Christians are no longer having 14 children like my great grandparents generation did so they are using contraception nowadays, as Grace's family must be doing, there's only 3 Booth children, after all

As far as I am aware birth control of any kind is not strixtly allowed in Christianity (obviously nowadays things are changing and we were taught about condoms and birth control at school but still technically it is all frowned upon)
In my Catholic education in the 90s, we were told that the rhythm method was the only acceptable method. Obviously, we weren't told what the rhythm method was, only that the pope approved of it 😂😂

• Haha
Obviously though, Christians are no longer having 14 children like my great grandparents generation did so they are using contraception nowadays, as Grace's family must be doing, there's only 3 Booth children, after all
Not necessarily tbf, I’ve been with my husband since I was 18, I’m now 26 and in all of the years we’ve been together we’ve rarely used contraception (not for religious reasons at all, both of us are atheists, just cba with contraception) and I’ve never become pregnant from it, I had to take the morning after pill one time and that was it.
It’s quite easy to do if you’re careful, just pull out and we don’t have sex during the window where it’s most likely that I’d become pregnant lol.

Reactions: 5
I'm Catholicism, no form of contraception is OK as Catholics believe that life starts at conception, ie as soon as the sperm enters the ovum. The most acceptable form of preventing pregnancy is the rhythm method. In Catholicism sex is not done for fun, it is purely for procreation, they were instructed to 'go forth and multiply'. I'm sure that for all Christians it is the same but I had a Catholic education so that's the denomination I'm certain about.

In my Catholic education in the 90s, we were told that the rhythm method was the only acceptable method. Obviously, we weren't told what the rhythm method was, only that the pope approved of it 😂😂
I was at school in the early 2000s and I only vaguely remember being taught about condoms and birth control at all, and by the time we did it probably more than half of the year were sexually active anyway 😄

• Haha
I’m a practicing Church of England (Protestant). We have gay members of our church who attend regularly with their adopted children, we had a child before our marriage and had our union blessed in the church, and our Sunday school teacher is divorced. Times have absolutely moved on.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m a practicing Church of England (Protestant). We have gay members of our church who attend regularly with their adopted children, we had a child before our marriage and had our union blessed in the church, and our Sunday school teacher is divorced. Times have absolutely moved on.
Cof E is very different, Half of my family is CofE and half Catholic (I am Catholic, vaguely) in Catholicism they definitely have not, obviously still no female priests or gay marriage, and I went to the wedding of a friend of mine who had already had a child (with the man she was marrying) and the child was ignored during the whole ceremony, lots of mentions of "when you have children in the future", thank god the child was too young to understand

It really depends on the church IME. With Catholics LGBT is pretty much a no but the tolerance of children out of marriage etc depends on the branch and priest.

With CofE generally they’re fine with children out of marriage and divorce now, but LGBT is a 50-50 toss up - whether it will be ok/accepted, whether it’s ok as long as you’re celibate or they don’t want to accept at all.