GoFundMe Scammers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know. I am not against all GFM - just the ones that take the piss or waltz off with vast amounts and then do not
use it for what it was raised for - the Ashley Cains of this world. I really feel for the family of that missing lad. The money will help pay for fares and accommodation for them whilst they are looking for him.

One of my kids is abroad ant the moment and I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw the news of this kid who has gone missing. his family must be out of their minds with worry. I was also thinking if mine went missing I would be screwed because I wouldn’t have the money to fly over - the cost of living has really impacted us. (He is using his own money, saved for years, to travel - we are not funding it) I don’t have it in me to criticise them.

Cancer poverty is a huge problem and I see why people do GFM. But there are so many who take advantage of peoples kindness.
sorry to add to me post I’m not against GFM’s but who gets to decide what is worth it and what isn’t. The danger is the recipients can spend the money however they like. I guess that comes down to the fact that no one is obliged to donate to any of these
---
I don’t know. I am not against all GFM - just the ones that take the piss or waltz off with vast amounts and then do not
use it for what it was raised for - the Ashley Cains of this world. I really feel for the family of that missing lad. The money will help pay for fares and accommodation for them whilst they are looking for him.

One of my kids is abroad ant the moment and I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw the news of this kid who has gone missing. his family must be out of their minds with worry. I was also thinking if mine went missing I would be screwed because I wouldn’t have the money to fly over - the cost of living has really impacted us. (He is using his own money, saved for years, to travel - we are not funding it) I don’t have it in me to criticise them.

Cancer poverty is a huge problem and I see why people do GFM. But there are so many who take advantage of peoples kindness.
to add again. examples like yours to me are exactly what these things are for the same with Cancer patients no one should be having to worry about money while going through the worst time of their lives. It just makes me a bit uncomfortable how quickly these pages are set up lately.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The majority are probably very genuine, it's the high profile ones who get PR/ get the media involved that are the worst. It's a certain type of entitled parent who has to challenge medical knowledge and finds internet quacks that make my blood boil. If hospitals like GOSH can't save a life, there is duck all hope let's be honest. I only ever donate to the hospice where my Dad died because I've seen 1st hand how hard every single person there works to make life that little bit easier for the dying and their loved ones.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Yes totally agree 💯

We are unfortunately part of the paediatric oncology world. Never set up a GFM for any help. But over the last 8 years it has been part of our life we are in debt due to various things. So if the worst was to happen again we would be on our knees financially. So I can’t say I would never but if I ever needed to it would only be used as it was intended and not taking the piss like some of them have been.
I have and would donate any spare money to families in your situation. It is unfortunate that a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I choose to believe that, despite the bad people, most people are good and kind and deserving.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm not against GFMs if they are used accordingly it's when they are set up and aren't used for what they are said to be or the people who they are set up by/for don't actually need it. Thing is these days something happens and a GFM is set up. They are too easy to do.
---
I’m so confused what this money is being used for …. He’s still missing?!
View attachment 3005104
There was one set up but the family didn't want it to be. This one has been set up by his friend who raised the alarm. I'm guessing the money will be used for the families to stay over there to find him, flights etc.

Reactions: 3
I have and would donate any spare money to families in your situation. It is unfortunate that a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I choose to believe that, despite the bad people, most people are good and kind and deserving.
Yes definitely I agree. We don’t live a lavish lifestyle and not in the public eye and I have always hated the idea of people knowing we struggle so pride has stopped me setting up a GFM. I would exhaust all avenues before ever going down that route. But it is far to easy to set one up and some of the reasons don’t sit right with me. But there are a few genuine people that are so desperate it is their only hope.

• Heart
A family local to us fundraised over £1 million to take their child to the Far East for cancer treatment that the NHS don't/won't offer. The child is still alive and cancer free but has had to have multiple surgery for bone damage (still can't walk) and has multiple organ failure/needs transplants as a result. Is that a fair trade off? They're still pretty much living in hospital and I've stopped following the page as the poor child looks in absolute agony. Truthfully, there was obviously a reason why the NHS wouldn't fund it - but the family chose to ignore medical advice and it's now the NHS that is picking up the pieces.

And how much did the NHS have to spend on legal fees with the Gard/Evans/Battersbee families who I'm pretty sure are just the tip of the iceberg and the ones who went to the media.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
A family local to us fundraised over £1 million to take their child to the Far East for cancer treatment that the NHS don't/won't offer. The child is still alive and cancer free but has had to have multiple surgery for bone damage (still can't walk) and has multiple organ failure/needs transplants as a result. Is that a fair trade off? They're still pretty much living in hospital and I've stopped following the page as the poor child looks in absolute agony. Truthfully, there was obviously a reason why the NHS wouldn't fund it - but the family chose to ignore medical advice and it's now the NHS that is picking up the pieces.

And how much did the NHS have to spend on legal fees with the Gard/Evans/Battersbee families who I'm pretty sure are just the tip of the iceberg and the ones who went to the media.
Not all cancer treatment is funded on the NHS and only available abroad. And some treatments are curative without long term damage. Some of the treatment available on the NHS cause the same damage and long term effects (I know as we deal with this). I think faced with the situation anyone would try to save their child. Unfortunately in the childhood cancer world cure does come at a cost 😥

• Sad
  • Heart
Really doesn't look good for Dilly after Amy's recent post! Said got hours or a matter of days left. His liver is failing and he's turning a colour now and his organs are shutting down 😔 He's been in theatre to have his line removed and he's on a palliative pain pump now.

• Sad
Really doesn't look good for Dilly after Amy's recent post! Said got hours or a matter of days left. His liver is failing and he's turning a colour now and his organs are shutting down 😔 He's been in theatre to have his line removed and he's on a palliative pain pump now.
Absolutely heartbreaking, such a cruel world that a gorgeous little boy had to live 4 out of 5 years battling cancer 💔💔 I am glad to hear he has the constant pain pump, no more pain now x

• Sad
Life is just cruel. I do this as a job and every diagnosis, story and death affects you. You never forget the families you encounter and hope when the time for passing comes, it is peaceful and dignified. Dilly hasn't had a dignified journey up until now. I hope his parents realise this is it and put their phones away and focus on what's really important. I can't even imagine how they must be feeling right now.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
It's a sad update but I'm glad they're not actively treating the poor wee lad anymore. Why she had to say about being off work is bewildering though. I wish Dillon a peaceful and quiet journey. I'm glad they're in hospital with the support of the staff around them.

I never imagined wishing it but there was a point when my Dad was dying that I was just ready for it to happen because I couldn't bear another day of seeing his pain. His face changed immediately after he'd died and it was as if all the lines disappeared. Gave me huge comfort.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Oh Dilly. I wish he could be at home, chilling watching Godzilla after a tiring day at school. He's such a lovely little boy. Thinking of him and all the children going through what no child ever should :(

Edit to add, that latest picture (which she arguably shouldn't be posting) is exactly what I mean. Watching his tablet and eating biscuits. That's what he should be doing. Not dying 😔

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
That latest photo 😔 she should be sat with him, holding him not taking photos and posting to insta! Please please put your phones away and spend the last few hours/day just soaking in his cuddles and smell.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Goodness me that update is heartbreaking 💔 these poor babies should never have to suffer like this.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Poor little baby ❤ putting the gofundme aside I hope his parents truly realise they did every single thing they could do, left no stone unturned.
Kids shouldn’t be suffering like this it’s a bleeping sin

• Heart
Reactions: 24
bless his little heart , he is such a beautiful little boy
he really doesn’t need to suffer anymore.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Hope the pain pump helps that poorly boy. Life is so bloody unfair. I wish him nothing but sweet dreams and peace. 💔

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My heart breaks for them all. So sad. He’s only 5!! And he doesn’t know much outside of a hospital! Pleased he has a pain pump. I hope he’s at peace soon x

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I'd say he's got a while left if he's still eating. But hopefully these days will be quiet and calm. Thank god for palliative care teams, they really are in a league of their own 🌸

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.