Glow Up - BBC Three

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Such a shame! Honestly think they will start to lose viewers with this format- whats the point in watching when the poorer performers aren't going home?

Reactions: 4
It's always the way with the beauty-counter-employee contestants.

Anyone got ideas for an alternative to the current 'face off' scenario?

I'm not sure but I think there needs to be a change in the main judges - Dom and Val are too pally with each other and just ultimately end up agreeing and not really fighting for who they think should stay.

Reactions: 5
I'm not sure but I think there needs to be a change in the main judges - Dom and Val are too pally with each other and just ultimately end up agreeing and not really fighting for who they think should stay.
I agree. I think they also need someone not involved in make up to lighten it a bit like with Bake Off and with Alan Carr on the interior design show. Maya and Stacey were too bland.

Reactions: 7
Yeah I think the show could do with a revamp.
I find Val really dull and then Dom just seems to be a fusspot and petty.
Maya doesn't add anything at all - not even sure they need a presenter.

A good twist could be to ask the contestants to pick who leaves from looking at face off make up without knowing who has done what?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Perhaps they could give a second chance at a similar brief to the main task but with a much shorter time frame for the face off? Or they could get a short timeframe to work on the critique they were given? Perhaps they were told that their eye makeup let down the whole look so get 15 minutes on a redo. It would allow the MUA’s to still work in their style and would feel like they’d earned their spot on actual value not just that they knew some random technique better.

Reactions: 10
I also feel like a lot of the briefs become quite samey to what has gone in previous seasons. I like the show and it’s and easy watch , but I feel that I’ve seen it before sometimes.!

Love the make up...and the design ideas, but it becomes too much of a popularity contest at times! They are all brilliant make up artists, but .....you can tell who the judges like so easily......Sammah doesnt stand a chance of winning!

And why are they using water based make up so much? Surely this wouldnt last for more than an hour? The minute you wore it out in the rain or ate anything or did anything natural.....it would be ruined?

I’m curious about this too! @TheRealGretchen 👀
I would guess, Alex and Elliot are the ones who know each other, some of their hugs on screen look extremely friendly for virtual strangers!

Reactions: 3
I don’t think they have the best bunch of contestants this year. Like with Bake Off I feel not every applied because of the pandemic and the issues surrounding that. A lot of them are ‘meh’. No idea how Dolli wasn’t in the face off chair because her look was horrendous. Sammeh’s wasn’t too bad and Alex struggled so much, she was out of her depth a lot of the time.
I also wish there was actual makeup happening, not just face painting, which is what it feels like. I liked the year where they had a brief from a fashion company and the year where they had a pop up shop and had to make the models match the theme.

Reactions: 6
I also find it confusing when looks they get negative feedback on feature on the opening credits, Dollis black and white look for a couple of weeks ago for one.

I’ll continue to watch but I’m getting mighty bored of seeing people’s journeys expressed in the medium of face paint!! I want high glamour!

Reactions: 12
You can really transform a face using make up without it being face paint and I would love to see that as a task. Some of last weeks filter looks just baffled me completely but show me how to go from my normal dull, combination skin, couple of spots maybe and bags under my eyes to a face that actually makes me look healthy etc and I’d be genuinely fascinated. Plus to me that sort of talent and look is one of the basics of being an MUA?

Reactions: 9
You can really transform a face using make up without it being face paint and I would love to see that as a task. Some of last weeks filter looks just baffled me completely but show me how to go from my normal dull, combination skin, couple of spots maybe and bags under my eyes to a face that actually makes me look healthy etc and I’d be genuinely fascinated. Plus to me that sort of talent and look is one of the basics of being an MUA?
Yes I would love if there were more challenges like this! I find it odd that one of the contestants has never made up someone else's face....how can you be an MUA if you can only paint your own face? Surely half the challenge is getting foundation to match the tone and texture, knowing what eyeliner works with different eye shapes etc.

I wonder if they will do a simple back to basic challenge? I'm sure bake off had "make a victoria sponge" task which although simple, did test some of the bakers.

Reactions: 10
Yes they did and I think the rational was can you do the basics, not just the creations that look impressive. Plus with a classic there’s nowhere to hide.

I was surprised about Riley too. I always get the impression that being a good MUA in part means being able to put the model at ease, knowing what you do and don’t say. In past series (& maybe this I’m too) they‘ve been pulled up on blaming their models skin for crap base/blending etc

Reactions: 5
I agree. There are so many MUAs on social media doing utterly amazing transformations. Some of these tasks are a bit like giving a kid some paper and asking them to draw something.

I felt sorry for the guy last year who was colour blind but I did wonder why on earth he chose make up as a career.

• Haha
You could really tell Alex wasn’t around in this episode, it was quiet and I missed her 🥲

I wish the judges wouldn’t give their opinions to the camera whilst the MUA’s are working on their looks because it kinda gives away how their feedback will go

Completely agree with everyone that says they want to see some actual glamour!
Would also love a met gala -esqe challenge .. theyre given an outfit and told the theme and have to come up with beautiful relevant makeup.

Reactions: 2