Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Missmopps

VIP Member
If that’s true then for the LOVE of lipgloss no more fekkin FACEPAINTING. I want to see fashion editorials, advertising campaigns, problem solving, bridal makeup, in other words the bread and butter of most makeup artists. I don’t want to see people being made into lizards, space aliens or trees. It’s absolutely ridiculous, infantile and boring

• Heart
Reactions: 33

TheRealGretchen

Chatty Member
Am I the only one that wasn't that impressed with Riley's makeup?
I love Ryley’s Out Of This World piece last night!

Not sure my eldest was impressed when I fan girled over it.

I’m curious about this too! @TheRealGretchen 👀
Indeed Jack and Elliott are friends. Elliott’s interview post Glow Up exit.

Jack is my eldest child. I’m so proud of everything they’ve done and although the human interest side isn’t as popular as it once was on TV Jack has been through so much. We all have. I’ve raised my three alone and there have been far more tough times than I’d ever want broadcast.
Watching Jack is literally nail biting! I’ve watched most episodes with them which has been fun.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I think the “do a face that tells us something about your journey” challenge should only really be done in the quarter or semi finals stage. Instead of at the start and in nearly every episode where it gives them a carte blanche to cry about how hard their upbringing has been, their anxiety etc.

I'd like more "normal" makeup. Like say make up for a wedding or event where the person is older and doesn't usually wear much makeup, wants a dramatic eyeliner but has hooded eyes, wants a bold red lip but has naturally yellow toned teeth, has a hormonal breakout around their chin. I'd like to see more shade matching and makeup looks on different skin tones and textures.
I'd like to see more clever use of makeup, example ageing someone for a tv series or film.

I am in no way an MUA but there's a big difference between painting your own face where you know your own angles and contours and painting someone else's face.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

TheRealGretchen

Chatty Member
Invested in this season as my eldest is one of the MUAs competing. I won’t say who yet but needless to say watching Tuesday was like watching a horror film! Kind of edge of the seat stuff, palpitations, anxiety and sweats! I am THAT overprotective Mum 😂
Good luck to all the contestants.

Aldo I’d have definitely won the clumpy mascara challenge. I achieve that look with little effort required almost every morning.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26

Jaybtee

VIP Member
Sorry it's the same shit every time. Don't want to offend anyone but every story of a gay, neurodivergent, trans journey means fuck all and has nothing to do with makeup - we just want the makeup done well we don't need a why🫣 It bores me to tears!!! Its not a makeup show at this point! I wouldnt want any of the looks! Isn't that the point

Reactions: 26

Greasepaint

What the hell was that meta verse nonsense all about? Those balloon things were hideous. I’m bewildered most of the time at what the judges consider great make up. I get Roo mixed up with someone from last year who wore elf ears.

And why do we need everyone‘s pronouns? We’re not interacting with any of them. It’s just woke bullshit.

• Haha
Reactions: 24

Missmopps

VIP Member
I’m really fed up with all the face painting and “personal traumas and stories on a face” crap. Where’s the glamour? Fashion? The only time there is anything referencing that is on the face off. Bored

Reactions: 24

Bagpuss20

VIP Member
I just feel every season now has the obligatory non- binary person, the person with a tragic story, someone with mental health battles.
Its become formulaic and takes away from what it could be.

Reactions: 23

Rosie glow

VIP Member
Think I might knock this series on the head now it's exactly the same every week the program is called glow up but there's no glowing up being done it's the same old face painting and prosthetics every single week 🙄
I want to see how to perfect the perfect smoky eye or how to put lashes on properly not how to stick on a fake pig nose and paint it with multiple colours 😴

• Haha
Reactions: 21

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I really hope its actually make up and not just face painting..again 😴
I know. Face painting and prosthetics. Yawn.
I really would like to see more things like Red Carpet looks, or Old Hollywood Glamour. Choose an icon and do their makeup.
Not basically theatrical pantomime stuff.

• Heart

The Devils Arse

VIP Member
Also what the fuck is a gemstone brow? ridiculous
That's just a little something I do every Thursday. Work really love it!

I sound like broken record but I just wish they would stop with all this OTT looks with 5 million prosthetics being used. As an MUA I would have thought your bread and butter work would be glam beauty looks, giving lessons to people etc. I wish they would get in normal people off the street who want a certain look and then carrying it out. An important skill is speaking to the client, ascertaining what they are actually after and then being able to carry out that look. Communication is so important as a "smokey eye" can be interpreted differently etc.
Or if they are giving lessons how well they can communicate and teach.
I think I'm just annoyed as the 2 times I've had my make up done professionally, the first time I had orange skin and the second time I had cakey foundation. Maybe I should have asked to look like wizened old tree or something.

• Haha
  • Heart

Ocupus5

Chatty Member
Very sore loser that one in the face off. I think it’s because he didn’t know what a reverse cat eye was so just did that shite instead. I’m glad he went in week one as he annoyed me from the get go.

And i Agree it’s all about ticking gender boxes etc the last couple of seasons rather than the make up

Instaflop

Chatty Member
I watch out of habit now. The only bit I really liked originally was the face off elimination challenge because I got to see a profe show how you do a smokey eye (I’m a complete clueless woman when it comes to make up) and I got to learn a few things. Then seeing two people try to imitate it was quite refreshing to know that it isn’t as easy as it looks!

Now they are out of ideas for that part and it’s seeing who can apply crystals to someone’s face evenly. Like when did you last see someone walking round looking like that?

The challenges are all the same. Bring on bald caps that the contestants have never used, prosthetics that they have never used…. Seriously I’m assuming the contestants aren’t hostages dragged off the streets and have time to practice at least once before going on the show!

I’d like to see more challenges involving real make up including the mood board ones. Maybe one or two crazy ones but every episode is just too much.

I find the contestants irritating and very self centred. Most of them clearly don’t care if they win or not, they just want to be in long enough to gain more followers.

• Heart

TheMiceInTheShed

VIP Member
We've all said it numerous times but this programme needs a serious overhaul. Stop with the 'create a look that expresses your worst nightmare' type stuff. That is theatrical and stage makeup. It's so bloody boring now. Yes use that type of stuff for one of two challenges but not all of them.
Yep - agree with this.

And all of the backstories - "My life as a narcissistic wanker was so much worse than yours" - competitive whingefests, every one of them.

I don't mind a bit of background along the lines of "I live with my nan and she's got a cat called Doreen", and "I just like drawing on people's faces" - that'll do nicely, thank you.

The challenges this week were the worst I've ever seen, (and there's been a lot of competition over the umpteen series). Make-up to go with TRAINERS,? I mean - really? And two bits of silver in the ye corners is too overwhelming, but somebody else's splurge of green isn't? The models looked fed up - but having foundation applied for a drawn out two hours must have been tedious as hell.

In the final challenge some of the models looked more than fed-up - they looked pissed off. This will be my last series - I may not even make it to the end.

I don't think the standard of the competetitors is as high this year, either.

I wish they'd show another series of the Irish one - I found that much more engaging.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Missmopps

VIP Member
Yes it really is beyond the pale now. Those mood boards look like GCSE 1st year art projects, so embarrassing. Felt tips and pritt stick.

Both judges aren’t into classical makeup looks and like to push boundaries so the classics were never going to get a look in. So we are stuck with mostly big kids who have grown up on a diet of yootoob tutorials who have then gone on to thinking they are billy big bollocks because they have a ring light, an instagram account and a few eyeshadow palettes who know how to do great “transitions”.

• Heart

Lilykins

VIP Member
It’ll be the same old tired format, looks and rounds. This show needs to be rebooted or put out of its misery. Will I still watch though? Yes lol.

• Haha

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
I'd be happy enough if they did one episode that focused on the face-painting and prosthesis, etc. but no more. It gets old QUICK. I want to see something new.

IfTheCapFits

VIP Member
How on earth could anyone think it was ok to not remove your existing eye make up or use a different brand?! 🤯

Reactions: 19

MuthaCuppa

I think I’d actually enjoy watching candidates go through an apprenticeship - proper jobs like fashion week, weddings, editorial shoots, catalogue shoots. Follow them through the coursework and the academic side too. Then at the end the winner secures a role.

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
Im a few weeks behind- is on may still there? She seems quite childlike
No, On-May went home last week (I think it was last week anyway, it's all smooshing together now 🥴

As for this week, I actually shouted 'Oh come ON!' at my telly.

Roo should have gone home but it's obvious that Val and Dom love them and couldn't bear to do it, and so pulled this 'you're both through' nonsense. I am glad that Keiran is still in though. He may not be the strongest MUA but is definitely my favourite.

It just shows when they had to do a straight 'beauty' look for the red carpet, how much they struggled with that. That should be bread and butter for MUAs, they should be able to chuck out a glam red carpet look in their sleep, no drama. But it was so difficult for them!!!

And yet every week we get face painting.... AGAIN 😒

• Heart