Girls Aloud #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone remember when she said she wanted to use only American dancers for her tour as they brought something different than English could 😵💫 I was offended! I don't get what her big fascination with cracking America was, 2 fingers up to Nadine maybe?

Reactions: 1
Anyone remember when she said she wanted to use only American dancers for her tour as they brought something different than English could 😵💫 I was offended! I don't get what her big fascination with cracking America was, 2 fingers up to Nadine maybe?
It was probably because so few British artists ever do break America, it would prove that she really was a world class talent if she succeeded.

It was probably because so few British artists ever do break America, it would prove that she really was a world class talent if she succeeded.
Back then they didn't, now loads do, Dua Lipa, Harry Styles, Zayn, Little Mix etc she must be fuming 😂😂😂

Hilary/Lily should have gave her head a wobble and reminded her that the main reason she was popular in England is because people see Geordies as very grounded, salt of the earth type people, everyone thought she was so emotional and lovely forgiving Ashley for his cheating and crying on X factor when someone said they were singing this song for their guinea pig that had died, her prior fame with girls aloud and experience being on popstars the rivals.... Obviously none of that translates in America at all and her generally and her music is very bland, so 🤷🏻‍♀️😐

For any of GA to have succeeded solo in America, at that time it would have taken a hybrid of several members. None of them had what it took singlehandedly

Sarah's party girl personality
Nadine's voice
Cheryl's connections
Nicolas ability to nail every performance

Reactions: 4
The fact she left the house like this probably signifies her mental state tbh. She'd just survived malaria, went through a divorce, had death threats on XF, and whatever other controversies there were that year. She definitely wasn't in the right headspace to try to charge ahead with her career
I remember reading an article saying that Simon wanted her to attend events regularly but she just stayed in her house at night eating biscuits and drinking cups of tea - which looking back at the year she had she definitely needed to do.

Reactions: 2
She was so huge in the UK that it was the next logical step. Lots of UK acts tried it around that time - One Direction, Little Mix, The Wanted, Cher Lloyd, even the Saturdays.

She said she used American dancers because the creative director she wanted to work with was based in LA and it was logical for her to be out there and just hire some dancers there. She had British dancers for the entirety of Girls Aloud and for the first couple of years of her solo career so maybe she wanted some people around her who didn't have any preconceptions or view her as an incredibly famous celebrity. She also used the same dancers for all her solo performances that year so maybe she just liked the vibe they brought, especially when she was on tour alone for the first time

She was so huge in the UK that it was the next logical step. Lots of UK acts tried it around that time - One Direction, Little Mix, The Wanted, Cher Lloyd, even the Saturdays.

She said she used American dancers because the creative director she wanted to work with was based in LA and it was logical for her to be out there and just hire some dancers there. She had British dancers for the entirety of Girls Aloud and for the first couple of years of her solo career so maybe she wanted some people around her who didn't have any preconceptions or view her as an incredibly famous celebrity. She also used the same dancers all her solo performances that year so maybe she just liked the vibe they brought, especially when she was on tour alone for the first time
I dunno I think if you broke it down, for the reasons I've mentioned above, it would be clear she'd never work in America.

I'm not saying there wasn't reasons for her using them dancers but I do think it contributed to people going off her as it constantly seemed like she used England to get famous but really only cared about America. There was uproar in the daily mail comments at the time and after that she did have only human but it was never the same as the peak 2010 hype.

Last edited:
I dunno I think if you broke it down, for the reasons I've mentioned above, it would be clear she'd never work in America.

I'm not saying there wasn't reasons for her using them dancers but I do think it contributed to her decline as it constantly seemed like she used England to get famous but really only cared about America. There was uproar in the daily mail comments at the time and after that she did have only human but it was never the same.
In 2010 there were executives from Fox in the US constantly travelling to the UK to watch her during X Factor recordings and they absolutely loved her and were completely sold on her as a judge. Simon was also confident enough she could make it to push for her to get the job in the first place. Her record label had already started planning an album that would've combined the best songs on 3 Words and Messy Little Raindrops for a proper US release. There were even big US names like Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian, Anna Kendrick etc. that were talking about how much they love her. I think it's easy to look back on it after it failed and say the signs were there all along, but at the time the fact she was so British was a selling point and something they thought would be endearing. Maybe it would've been if she'd been in a better mental state.

The people who comment on the Daily Mail hated her for several years before she got sacked from XF US so that reaction isn't really surprising from them. I remember there were a few TV channels who did vox pops and the public were all sympathetic and wanted her to come back to where she was appreciated, and she had a lot of support from British celebrities and the British media too.

In 2010 there were executives from Fox in the US constantly travelling to the UK to watch her during X Factor recordings and they absolutely loved her and were completely sold on her as a judge. Simon was also confident enough she could make it to push for her to get the job in the first place. Her record label had already started planning an album that would've combined the best songs on 3 Words and Messy Little Raindrops for a proper US release. There were even big US names like Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian, Anna Kendrick etc. that were talking about how much they love her. I think it's easy to look back on it after it failed and say the signs were there all along, but at the time the fact she was so British was a selling point and something they thought would be endearing. Maybe it would've been if she'd been in a better mental state.

The people who comment on the Daily Mail hated her for several years before she got sacked from XF US so that reaction isn't really surprising from them. I remember there were a few TV channels who did vox pops and the public were all sympathetic and wanted her to come back to where she was appreciated, and she had a lot of support from British celebrities and the British media too.
Mmm I dunno, I honestly enjoyed her as a solo artist for her early albums and was a bit disappointed it quickly became US X Factor, US boyfriend, US Manager, US Dancers, US US US focussed everything all the time and felt like she was turning her back on her original fanbase a little bit, this is the same reason Nadine was hated for years 😂😂😂 cos the narrative was always that she wanted to go solo despite the fact GA was made her famous and were at their peak as a band, she moved to Los Angeles when GA were still a thing, biting the hand that feeds so to speak.

Mmm I dunno, I honestly enjoyed her as a solo artist for her early albums and was a bit disappointed it quickly became US X Factor, US boyfriend, US Manager, US Dancers, US US US focussed everything all the time and felt like she was turning her back on her original fanbase a little bit, this is the same reason Nadine was hated for years 😂😂😂 cos the narrative was always that she wanted to go solo despite the fact GA was made her famous and were at their peak as a band, she moved to Los Angeles when GA were still a thing, biting the hand that feeds so to speak.
I don't really see it that way at all tbh, and I didn't see it that way at the time either. There's a difference between moving 5,000 miles away while GA is still active vs. trying to establish a career in the US while the band has been on hiatus for what was almost two years at that point (besides the Coldplay opening slot). Plus, Nadine pushed for a solo career much more aggressively and tried to make the continuation of GA conditional on her being given a solo deal. She ended up having to distribute Insatiable through Tesco because her and her manager rubbed so many people in the industry up the wrong way. Cheryl meanwhile was turning down solo opportunities like becoming a judge on BGT and only joined XF at the encouragement of Polydor and Hilary and with the support of Kimberley, Nicola, and Sarah.

If the band is on a break then she's entitled to do whatever she wants with her solo career. I don't remember anyone beyond some DM trolls complaining about her having turned her back on the UK for the US. The year before she did a lot of gigs in continental Europe to try and establish herself too but I don't remember anyone feeling neglected or jealous.

I don't really see it that way at all tbh, and I didn't see it that way at the time either. There's a difference between moving 5,000 miles away while GA is still active vs. trying to establish a career in the US while the band has been on hiatus for what was almost two years at that point (besides the Coldplay opening slot). Plus, Nadine pushed for a solo career much more aggressively and tried to make the continuation of GA conditional on her being given a solo deal. She ended up having to distribute Insatiable through Tesco because her and her manager rubbed so many people in the industry up the wrong way. Cheryl meanwhile was turning down solo opportunities like becoming a judge on BGT and only joined XF at the encouragement of Polydor and Hilary and with the support of Kimberley, Nicola, and Sarah.

If the band is on a break then she's entitled to do whatever she wants with her solo career. I don't remember anyone beyond some DM trolls complaining about her having turned her back on the UK for the US. The year before she did a lot of gigs in continental Europe to try and establish herself too but I don't remember anyone feeling neglected or jealous.
Well everyone's entitled to their own opinion you have yours and I have mine 😂 I'm just saying that to me it came across that once she'd reached peak fame in the UK everything was America focussed 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ (of course any career focussed person will look for the next challenge but it's a shame for fans who enjoyed seeing her on the x factor every week for example) maybe people didn't think it was offensive as such but it put a break in her UK stuff that she's never really recovered from commercially.

I don't feel supporting the BEP while they were on tour in France as a favour to her mate will I am is the same as moving your whole career to a different country personally 😂🤷🏻‍♀️ but I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here 😭😭😭

Well everyone's entitled to their own opinion you have yours and I have mine 😂 I'm just saying that to me it came across that once she'd reached peak fame in the UK everything was America focussed 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ (of course any career focussed person will look for the next challenge but it's a shame for fans who enjoyed seeing her on the x factor every week for example) maybe people didn't think it was offensive as such but it put a break in her UK stuff that she's never really recovered from commercially.

I don't feel supporting the BEP while they were on tour in France as a favour to her mate will I am is the same as moving your whole career to a different country personally 😂🤷🏻‍♀️ but I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here 😭😭😭
It wasn't just the BEP tour, she was performing Fight For This Love on any European TV show that would have her and doing countless TV, radio, and press interviews.

It wasn't just the BEP tour, she was performing Fight For This Love on any European TV show that would have her and doing countless TV, radio, and press interviews.
Omg I wish somebody would upload these to YouTube 🤣🤣🤣 did they have interpreters?

Let's be honest, this is the reason she got fired from US X Factor -
View attachment 2513230
It’s an ugly outfit, but tbf, that colour blocking look was a thing at the time. I think it’s the massive hair that makes it look really cheap.

It’s an ugly outfit, but tbf, that colour blocking look was a thing at the time. I think it’s the massive hair that makes it look really cheap.

Ah the hair was the least of her worries with that outfit!!

It's the hair, the colours, the shaplessness, the belt, the ruffles, it's also the fact that Cheryl is only 5'3 and the outfit swamps her. You need to be leggy to pull a look like this off.

1697551673106.png

Reactions: 3
I remember in Cheryl’s book she said after Simon fired her she sent him a text along the lines of ‘duck you, duck the big hair, duck the orange and purple outfit’ 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I remember the “long trousers covering high heels” look that was supposed to make your legs look long, but the hems of those trousers are touching the ground and then some! How did she not trip over?

It’s an absolutely heinous look 🤣 Poor girl, she could have pulled off most outfits, but not that.

Reactions: 5
She’s got the glossy American look though, surprised they cared so much they couldn’t understand her 😂
Didn’t some of her advisors twig she would flop though who have more experience of America, like Simon and.. well… actual Americans like Will? I’m no entertainment expert but I reckon I could tell you which Americans would do well in the UK and why just as I know the culture :)

Ah the hair was the least of her worries with that outfit!!

It's the hair, the colours, the shaplessness, the belt, the ruffles, it's also the fact that Cheryl is only 5'3 and the outfit swamps her. You need to be leggy to pull a look like this off.

View attachment 2515619
Remember how Nicole wore these colours shortly afterwards and did them well? Absolutely brutal. It’s so bad it makes you think she had to have been in on the joke.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.