Giles Coren - offensive, diminutive, entitled

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On TalkRadio just now there was an ad ("We're back!") for Giles Coren and Esther Walker's podcast, available "every Friday wherever you get your podcasts".

The last episode appears to have been 09 July. Does this mean there'll be a fresh one tomorrow?
View attachment 697259
View attachment 697260
Times Radio seems like a total disaster. It has a tiny number of listeners despite the incessant advertising for it on Talk Sport. Flora Gill is also a Times Radio presenter. It may as well be called Nepotism FM.

Reactions: 13
I loathe Giles Coren. Don’t feel that strongly about his sister but I don’t like her much. She comes across as smug and thinks she a whole lot funnier than she actually is. Very annoying on panel shows like HIGNFY. Read David Mitchell’s autobiography and liked him a lot less than I did before reading it. Not least because of his pathetic hanging around for three years waiting for VC to try out potentially better options before she eventually settled for him. He also came across as quite Snobbish and his ridiculing of RSPCA adverts and donors did him no favours either.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Why would anyone in the public eye want to broadcast where their children go to school or to show their faces on social media? It is completely irresponsible and insane. I guess the Coren’s don’t care about privacy if Giles is writing about his son’s foreskin/weight problem or Esther’s disappointment that her 7 year old isn’t interested in make up.

I think writing about which prep school Sam goes to is all part of Giles’s bragging about what a big success he is: his own education at Westminster and Oxford, his houses in Kentish Town and his barn conversion in the Cotswolds, his Landrover Defender, his Jaguar I-Pace (whoops that keeps getting nicked) etc. Is it really that much of an achievement that Alan Coren’s son has achieved these things, arguably due to the nepotistic connections his father blessed him with?
Wonder if the late great Alan Coren boasted about his son or his daughter?
I really enjoyed the wry learned wit of Alan Coren, his offbeat ordinariness that cloaked a sharp perceptive mind.
Somehow his children are cast from a different mould, generational distances aside.

Victoria clearly has a sharp intelligence & goes about her business.
I do not warm to her but she doesn’t piss me off. I can take her or leave on the side of the plate.

Whereas Giles...there is something essentially unloved & unloveable about him, almost pitiful yet he is so unnecessary so why bother?

Reactions: 13
Putting on my armchair psychologist hat I think Giles Coren probably hates himself more than anyone else. The furious way he reacts to any suggestion that he only got his media career because of his father suggests to me that he believes that’s true. If he was confident of his own abilities those comments wouldn’t bother him so much. He will never have an iota of his Father’s talent and respect and he knows it.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I think Giles Coren is just totally embarrassing and cringey - he’s in his 50s, he lies about being 5 ft 9 and he abuses dead women. And the podcast he does with his smug wife is just pointless. He’s become a joke and people are mocking him on Twitter and in Private Eye. I can’t imagine he’ll get any more TV commissions - maybe GB news? He did a prime time quiz on ITV a few years ago but it was cancelled after four episodes. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....et-to-end-after-itv-wields-the-axe-again/amp/

Reactions: 10
Flora Gill is also a Times Radio presenter. It may as well be called Nepotism FM.
Nepotism is everything in the media, but the newspaper world is off the scale. Bella Mackie’s father Alan Rusbridger edited the Guardian for 20 years. I’m not surprised she uses her mother’s maiden name. Then there’s Ellie Mae O’Hagan, daughter of Sean O’Hagan, both of whom write for The Guardian. I’m sure she got her foot in the door on talent alone 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Times Radio seems like a total disaster. It has a tiny number of listeners despite the incessant advertising for it on Talk Sport. Flora Gill is also a Times Radio presenter. It may as well be called Nepotism FM.
Hereditary pundit FM 📻

Reactions: 10
To be fair, they have a few decent presenters. Carole Walker, Hugo Rifkind, Phil Williams and Michael Portillo are good.

Reactions: 2
Nepotism is everything in the media, but the newspaper world is off the scale. Bella Mackie’s father Alan Rusbridger edited the Guardian for 20 years. I’m not surprised she uses her mother’s maiden name. Then there’s Ellie Mae O’Hagan, daughter of Sean O’Hagan, both of whom write for The Guardian. I’m sure she got her foot in the door on talent alone 🙃
*Is suddenly reminded of Max Gogarty*

Reactions: 2
To be fair, they have a few decent presenters. Carole Walker, Hugo Rifkind, Phil Williams and Michael Portillo are good.
I like Matt Chorley too. I find myself listening to Times Radio quite a bit because 5Live has become so dire. I will never listen to Coren though and didn't know Flora Gill had a show. I don't read articles by her and I wasn't keen on her father.

Reactions: 1
I think that 'hereditary columnist' should become part of Giles Coren's name, to be used every time he is mentioned, much like Stormzy is 72 years old.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Thanks for posting that. I used to buy Private Eye for the Street of Shame column but stopped as all the articles about government corruption and injustices were too depressing.

Years of reading it though and the way journos carry on on twitter made me realise how utterly horrible a large number of them are.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.