Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pronoun badges?!? Bloooooody hell. It’s bad enough that people are putting pronouns into email names, purely to appease NB people who will use they/them. ‘It shows you’re an ally!’ I don’t have to add my sex to my name to show I believe in human rights.
Worse, is when people have it on their zoom and you can SEE them! Thanks Thomas, 45 year old man, for writing he/him after your name or I might have referred to you as ‘she’ while talking about you behind your back later. No one even uses pronouns while speaking TO someone so it’s literally just to highlight that someone identifies as NB, surely?
I’m not writing ‘... bi’ after my name to make bisexuals feel like they can be open about it, why would I EVER do it for something that’s not even a real thing?
Yup I work in higher education (not student facing) and more and more lecturers and other admins are putting pronouns in their e-sigs. If it’s their choice, fine, but more are doing it so I expect there will be more pressure from above to include it. I won’t and I certainly won’t wear a badge with them on.

Reactions: 10
Does anyone remember that story from Japan where they made women working in a department store wear a special badge when they were on their period? That’ll be next - to go along with the “genderless menstrual leave”.

Badges for pronouns and badges for periods.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Does anyone remember that story from Japan where they made women working in a department store wear a special badge when they were on their period? That’ll be next - to go along with the “genderless menstrual leave”.

Badges for pronouns and badges for periods.
I didn’t know about that - what was the reason for the period badges? I’m genuinely intrigued 🤔 😂

Yup I work in higher education (not student facing) and more and more lecturers and other admins are putting pronouns in their e-sigs. If it’s their choice, fine, but more are doing it so I expect there will be more pressure from above to include it. I won’t and I certainly won’t wear a badge with them on.
My work encouraged them last term, I think during trans awareness week? But I haven't seen any take up, and that includes some of the people in the staff LGBT+ group.

Reactions: 3
Almost the whole of my group added pronouns to their zoom name after one day of training. Within a week most had taken them off. We are all women bar one man, who has a beard. He had he/him in his for some unknown reason. Even when we have studies about how different things affect girls/boys or men and women, they always put in a note like: this study is based on the binary of male/female and has further research is being looked into with other groups... or something. So a NB person has a different brain to the rest of us? Cool.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I didn’t know about that - what was the reason for the period badges? I’m genuinely intrigued 🤔 😂
It was apparently so staff who wore the badges could get longer breaks. The badges featured a cartoon character called ‘Miss Period.’ 😂 🤦🏻‍♀️

I think it was a very misguided attempt to support women at work but unfortunately Japan is very far behind in that respect. Women still have to wear high heels to work.

The suggestion of ‘genderless menstrual leave’ reminded me of this a little.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7

“If there is one thing that unites lesbians aside from loving women and liking IKEA, it is their dislike of cock. Being fragile and emotional creatures, men aren’t always robust enough to cope with rejection;”

Reactions: 10
No one should be pressured to date anyone - this is Stone Age. My flabber is gasted.

Nah.
To be honest I automatically assume anyone calling themselves non binary will be offended on a daily basis. These types seems to like being offended and people having to constantly apologise. However I've never been friends with a 'non binary' person so I may be mistaken.
Also what makes a person who calls themselves non binary and expert on trans issues?
My ex is non-binary. He was the cruellest, most self-obsessed narcissistic asshole I have ever had the experience of knowing. I spent our entire relationship apologising. He is a top 1% earner in the UK in a male-dominated field. He is in a position of power and has enjoyed everything that comes with being born a male, the irony of him having they/them in his work bio makes me wince. He just liked wearing ladies underwear behind closed doors and painting his nails. He was heavily into BDSM. He was male enough to sexually assault me daily, but not male enough to want to be called a man. I truly believe non-binary means "help me I have no personality and no one likes me" or it's a fetish. I am a writer and have been writing about my experience being abused by this member of the trans community, I suspect I would be shot if I published it.

glad to see you around again! I was thinking about you the other day, I hope you're doing okay.
Thank you lovely. I always love seeing your name pop up!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Neither will gay men.

I would feel so disgusting if I had gone to something like that and was the only one not getting any attention. It's not my thing but I can imagine the humiliation. This person really could have messaged one of the guys beforehand and asked if they would be into it. I know for some it's just a body part like it is to me, but I know my straight female friends would be horrified if a guy they were dating pulled down his trousers and it wasnt what they were expecting. But if things were discussed beforehand, the shock factor would be gone and it would still hurt being rejected, but not as bad as being humiliated in front of a room of people.

It's like with me I would always make sure people I dated saw a full body length photo of me in case they're not into my body type. Rather than us talk, I turn up to the date and they are surprised at what they see.

My ex is non-binary. He was the cruellest, most self-obsessed narcissistic asshole I have ever had the experience of knowing. I spent our entire relationship apologising. He is a top 1% earner in the UK in a male-dominated field. He is in a position of power and has enjoyed everything that comes with being born a male, the irony of him having they/them in his work bio makes me wince. He just liked wearing ladies underwear behind closed doors and painting his nails. He was heavily into BDSM. He was male enough to sexually assault me daily, but not male enough to want to be called a man. I truly believe non-binary means "help me I have no personality and no one likes me" or it's a fetish. I am a writer and have been writing about my experience being abused by this member of the trans community, I suspect I would be shot if I published it.

Thank you lovely. I always love seeing your name pop up!
Also I'm so sorry lovely about what you went through. I do know people who know of people who have tried to get out of serving time in prison/evade police by changing their gender, name etc. They think it will stop the police finding them, luckily it hasn't.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve been following and reading just to catch up with the conversation here and it’s really eye opening. I generally have the view of live and let live, as long as people are safe and can actively consent and make informed decisions. The thing that is striking me here is that some of the narrative that TRA’s are pushing are blurring the boundaries regarding consent and the right to choose who you become involved with. In my view, a decent person would reveal early on if there was something as huge as gender identity in the mix. Regardless of whether you believe you are a man or woman - if you don’t have the corresponding body parts - it is a matter of consent and respect for me. We spend so much time teaching our children about consent and boundaries, as an example I don’t make my children hug or kiss anyone they don’t want to as a way of instilling the idea that they can say no and they have ownership of their bodies and don’t have to do something that makes them uncomfortable. Surely being aware of someone’s background (in this particular area) is non negotiable? If you are not comfortable with it, for whatever reason, then that should be OK. I have a huge amount of empathy for those who have gender identity issues and have struggled with it their whole life, likewise I am keenly of the view that not declaring your gender identity and physical status is a huge red flag and a consent issue. What sparked my thought process here was the episode of ‘I May Destroy You’ where the gay guy had sex with the girl who was massively into black guys (and made no secret of it - some would say that’s fetishising black men, but that’s not my point here) . The girl was really upset and angry when she found out he had lied to her about his sexuality after the fact, again it was a disregard for her boundaries and really raised the question about consent for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I watched about ten minutes when it came out, that’s all I could tolerate. I would put money on it peaking many people! There are some good response vidoes; king critical and Vanessa vokey

Someone on my twitter feed (an influencer I think) has come out as a transwoman. TBH, I quite respect that, at least he’s not jumping in with the ‘oh yes I’m the womanliest woman going!’.
However, this is what’s confusing me. Wants a female body, tries long and hard to get one - still uses male pronouns? Why? Wouldn’t that be “triggering” or whatever? If it’s so important not to misgender people?
If it is so triggering to not have a female body, to the point where you actively begin gender reassignment surely you’d need your pronouns to align with your new body as well? So to speak?
I get the sense that he’s just... trying on womanhood. He has also, for example, changed his profile picture, seems to have shaved his beard and put on some eyeliner and eyeshadow. See this is the bit I don’t get! You can wear eyeliner and eyeshadow and whatever and still be a man? People might scoff but like, duck them. It’s not just some ~women’s only~ club that means as soon as you slap lipstick on whoops, you’re a woman now.

3AEAB924-015C-4733-8E07-EA6440DAD29F.jpeg

(It’s so hard to get my head around any of this 😬 Sorry I’m just kinda ranting about nothing. It’s just a cluster duck of contradictions wherever I look, I find it so hard to get a clear viewpoint of my own on it all... and with the added pressure of ~needing to be woke~)

Reactions: 4
Hmmm I actually quite like a lot of things about that post? First that he’s using male pronouns and his male name until he has transitioned. Would like to see more of that. My main gripe is with self ID and accepting/having recognised by law people’s ‘change’ at their say so. People who transition I personally have no issue with really, I definitely don’t think people would go through surgery etc to access female spaces. So I think it’s good he’s recognising he is still a man and not forcing people to call him she/her when he hasn’t started transitioning, more of this is what we need.
Also really like ‘I’m becoming a transwoman’ and not ‘becoming a woman’. No issue on that front either.
I mean I expect as time goes on this person will change their mind and take a much less reasonable approach to this but...here’s hoping.

I definitely don’t think people would go through surgery etc to access female spaces.
I dunno. From the neovagina disasters reddit thread it seemed like the most perverted/AGP men were the ones opting for SRS. Some of the images of them showing it off were bleeping gross. I don't think they plot to transition just so they're able to access female spaces, but when it's such a deeply rooted fetish they do pose a threat to us.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.