Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thought I would keep the title simple as we've had in the past.

Towards the end of the previous thread we were having a conversation about endometriosis and how women's pain isn't taken seriously by many medical professionals.

Reactions: 8
The erasure of women and girls continues. Endometriosis UK this time🙄
To the point that young girls might not make the connection that their bodies go through menstral cycles. I learned about periods through girls mags, because my school only shoved us in a room once to watch a video about periods and sex. My parents gave me a book but I was left to figure it out myself really, but at least I was told it is a thing that happens to girls. About 1 hour's education before we got to an age where we started having them. Obviously we covered biology later on in science lessons but some girls start at 8, some much later. An 8 year old might not make that cognition if the literature doesn't state 'girls and women'. Some kids grow up in settings where talking about periods is taboo, so then rely on being told by magazines or friends. Erasing the key words in stuff like this just makes it harder for the affected people to learn about their biology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
The erasure of women and girls continues. Endometriosis UK this time🙄
Slightly in defense of this poster - I do feel like there is a place for young men to learn about menstruation too. There are some stories online of men who were never taught about periods and their understanding of how they work is shocking. Thinking women can "hold it in" (like going for a wee) etc.

Reactions: 14
Slightly in defense of this poster - I do feel like there is a place for young men to learn about menstruation too. There are some stories online of men who were never taught about periods and their understanding of how they work is shocking. Thinking women can "hold it in" (like going for a wee) etc.
That is true, I agree, they should be taught about it.

Was about to say the same. I had my period talk in Y6 alongside the girls from the other primary school next door (mine was a separate CofE the other a “normal” community type) there was no boys allowed the invite was only sent with the girls. Obviously had a brief bio lesson but that was it. It’s time that boys were included in the discussion otherwise we end up in the position we’ve been in for long enough where male co-workers and potential bosses don’t understand why we might be feeling off or need an extra toilet break.

Reactions: 4
The education we get on our own periods in most 1st world country is attrocious, I don't know if it's because my endo was developping early (still don't understand everything about endo) but I had stomach aches and cramp like symptoms several times a month even when I didn't have my period/also couldn't tell my period from a stomach ache for the longest time and was punished/chatised by the schools (primary/middle) gym teacher for saying i had my period more then once a month. No one had taught us about spotting, the occasional leaks and vaginal fluid you get off your period, possible cramps, etc.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Speaking of periods, this comes from a period support group.

The state of the TiM thinking they're having a period and the state of these handmaidens pandering to him. Women have been kicked out for speaking up and now the questions for joining have changed and "no transphobia" has been called out twice. Why are people validating this persons mental illness at the expense of women?

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 23

The state of the TiM thinking they're having a period and the state of these handmaidens pandering to him. Women have been kicked out for speaking up and now the questions for joining have changed and "no transphobia" has been called out twice. Why are people validating this persons mental illness at the expense of women?
They feel they could throw someone over a car? Because they are "hormonal"?! So basically making out that women are 'hysterical' when on periods (word origin pertaining to mania because a woman has a womb). This actually reads to me that they are performing as a woman and actually using mysogynistic tropes that women are seen as volatile and unstable when on periods.

I hate this pandering...

Reactions: 27

this is so dumb I can't deal with it. This is validation pure and simple, hormone fluctuation because he's injecting himself with hormones he's not meant to have in his body. This is so stupid.

Reactions: 15
A man disguised himself as a woman and sexually assaulted a teenage girl. Who’d have thought it, a man wearing woman as a costume for his own gain? Could it be that us ‘nasty terfs’ have a point and that throwing away the legal protections that women as a class have as a result of our biological sex in favour of ‘gender identity’ is a terrible idea?

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Feminist bookshop & cafe in Singapore fired and reported her trans employees to the police for vandalism & theft and had to "deadname" them in the report to the police to match official documents. The owner and business Instagram is now being hounded by TRA comments and she's losing a lot of customers for being "transphobic". Worth a read of the comments if you want to roll your eyes!

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 9

Am I being a bit thick here. Surely trans women is taking whatever female hormones get prescribed, daily. How the eff can the levels of these hormones fluctuate week by week so they are "having periods".

I feel it would be like me saying my dick is hard when I have a vagina.

Reactions: 13
Am I being a bit thick here. Surely trans women is taking whatever female hormones get prescribed, daily. How the eff can the levels of these hormones fluctuate week by week so they are "having periods".

Exactly. So many people think also that estogen is our only hormone involved in the menstral cycle but there are 4 mains ones, so a trans person taking estrogen does not mean they are having a period (as we know!). They do not have eggs which develop and travel through tubes and attach to womb etc etc... they do not have the cramps associated with that process. So when people like the person in the FB posts say they are “having their period” they are basically mimicking a mood swing which is a side effect of the whole process which we get taken the piss out of for :(

Reactions: 13

This is the same person? It's interesting to see how they go from 'I'm just here supporting you' to 'could this headache be my period.?'

I googled but couldn't see anything scientific about whether HRT could result in period-like symptoms. Some transwomen seem to report it and say it comes in a period-like pattern, but it doesn't appear that there's any scientific research to confirm if it happens and why it happens.

Reactions: 2
Exactly. So many people think also that estogen is our only hormone involved in the menstral cycle but there are 4 mains ones, so a trans person taking estrogen does not mean they are having a period (as we know!). They do not have eggs which develop and travel through tubes and attach to womb etc etc... they do not have the cramps associated with that process. So when people like the person in the FB posts say they are “having their period” they are basically mimicking a mood swing which is a side effect of the whole process which we get taken the piss out of for :(
Quoting myself as too late to edit but I meant men (as trans identifed women) doesn't have periods. Of course FTM identified could still. My point was about males fetishing periods as a 'mood' when they don't have the organs and other hormones that are far more complex than 'a mood'. Just in case any 'TERF' hunters come at me for this post in the future. I struggle sometimes with explaining myself properly, sorry 😣

Reactions: 12

Not being thick at all, however I'm wondering if said "mood swings" and other "period-like symptoms" are due to their body fighting off/reacting to the excess estrogen they aren't meant to have. No research is being done because it's not worth risking career suicide.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.