Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Doc you mentioned on another thread how it was considered progressive in the 70s to have sex with children and how they were trying to make that legal, how long did that movement last? might be an indication of how long this will last.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
@Doc you mentioned on another thread how it was considered progressive in the 70s to have sex with children and how they were trying to make that legal, how long did that movement last? might be an indication of how long this will last.
No disrespect to your post, but I tend to lurk on this thread from time to time after being a fairly regular contributor. But when I dipped in just a few minutes ago and saw your post, I almost choked on my BLT!

Sex with children - like OMG, WTF!

Reactions: 4
I would guess late 60s to probably late 70s - so a decade. It first came to fore with the Woodstock, peace and free love hippy vibe and was amplified with boundary-pushing TV of the time. Mary Whitehouse, although an utter racist and homophobe DID get it right where exploitation of the vulnerable was concerned. She was before her time in some regard but ironically hated by progressives who saw her as assaulting their liberty and fun.

No disrespect to your post, but I tend to lurk on this thread from time to time after being a fairly regular contributor. But when I dipped in just a few minutes ago and saw your post, I almost choked on my BLT!

Have a read here: https://unherd.com/2020/10/what-mary-whitehouse-got-right/

Reactions: 5
What worries me is that if we (the LGBT+ groups/ the left-wing) get this wrong, it's going to be a gift to the right-wing. In 10 years time, if we get a rake of people like Keira Bell, or people saying they feel they were abused as children by parents transitioning them from a very early age, that's a huge gift to the right and the anti-LGBT+ lobby.

I watched an interview with a woman, I forget who, but she said 'if the left doesn't have this conversation, then the right will have it.'

Reactions: 13
What worries me is that if we (the LGBT+ groups/ the left-wing) get this wrong, it's going to be a gift to the right-wing. In 10 years time, if we get a rake of people like Keira Bell, or people saying they feel they were abused as children by parents transitioning them from a very early age, that's a huge gift to the right and the anti-LGBT+ lobby.

I watched an interview with a woman, I forget who, but she said 'if the left doesn't have this conversation, then the right will have it.'
It‘s way more nuanced than the well trodden left- versus right- wing, the majority of left and right wingers actually congregate around the centre, so I wouldn’t worry unduly.

Reactions: 5
The ‘Hilaria’ Baldwin thing is just bizarre. How on earth did they manage to keep it buried for so long? Pretending to be Spanish is not as bad as Rachel Dolezal pretending to be black but along the same lines. She’s obviously profited from pretending she is Spanish and has made this part of her branding. What a strange and deluded woman.

I can see the similarities with the trans movement. I’m fed up with men who say they are women taking women’s awards and prizes. It’s an appropriation.
I actually thought that was just one of those bizarre online conspiracys the internet had invented (like Avril Lavigne being dead and replaced by a lookalike or whatever). So shocked when I found out it was a real story! what on earth was the point of pretending to be another nationality?!

my exact reaction

I watch videos by some right wing youtubers at times and the right are talking about it.

Reactions: 3

The tide is turning

• Heart
Reactions: 9

The tide is turning
Yes! The fact it’s a transwoman writing that makes it even more compelling. TRAs seem to have trampled over them in their crusade too.

• Heart
Yes! The fact it’s a transwoman writing that makes it even more compelling. TRAs seem to have trampled over them in their crusade too.
Not impressed that asexuality is described as 'happy to stay single.' I, and I know a lot of other asexual people, ardently long for a relationship but find that the dating pool is incredibly small. Once you've dated the 5 ace guys in your town and none of them was a match, you're out of options.

Many, mostly older than me, asexuals are also divorced - not because they wanted to be single or didn't love their spouse, but because they couldn't provide sex.

Other than that, an interesting article. Though I'd think the tide was turning more if it was published in the guardian.

I watched this earlier this evening.

Has anyone else watched this? What did you make of the surgery bit? I couldn't help but feel it was very similar to documentaries I've watched on plastic/ comestic surgery where people get really hooked on it. I really struggle with bits of my body - I wish I had more of a jaw/chin, I wish I was slimmer (I have to work very hard to keep weight off and this pandemic has made it harder), I wish my thighs were skinnier, my bum smaller, my tummy flatter. But I also know that to some extent I have to learn to accept those things and make the most of it and that relying on surgery (even if I could afford it) isn't a mentally healthy place to go.

There was nothing wrong with Munroe's forehead, I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't pointed it out. I worry that this isn't the end of the road and for her and she fixates that something else is 'mannish' and 'not her.'

In fact, I was right. She's just had another surgery:

Reactions: 1
The erasure of women and girls continues. Endometriosis UK this time🙄
This is absolutely atrocious. As someone who has Endo and did not get a real diagnosis and surgery until 28, I am bleeping raging. duck this tit.

Sorry to switch topic but if anyone is in denial that “trans” is currently a money generating, dangerous, fad then take one look at exploiter in chief Jonathan Joly’s TikTok. His poor 6 year old son. Even his fans have commented (on the suit one) how forced it is.

I really hate this. Its all fuelled by narcissism and wanting to be *seen* as something, and kids are getting swept up in it.
I hate the Saconne Jolys. Forcing Edwardo to dress like a little girl for engagement is despicable and as far I am concerned, abuse.

@Doc Thank you for replying to my comment on the other thread. Would you explain your point about biology? Also I am interested to learn about how women's rights are affected, this is something I have never really considered before.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Lots of discussion on Twitter today about John Roderick, a US pundit who bragged on Twitter about how, rather than feed his 9-year-old daughter he made her wait 6 hours until she could work out how to use a can opener without any help or guidance from him. This went viral and understandably a lot of people found it upsetting. One of the most retweeted commentaries on the subject is from a feminine, glamorous-looking woman who talks in the thread about her experiences as a parent of a daughter, but her bio is all "they/them pronouns, I'm not a woman." You evidently are, and it's a bit sad that this person talks about setting a bad example for one's children when she is, consciously or not, teaching her daughter that you can somehow choose not to be a woman or that it is something to be shied away from

Reactions: 6
@Doc Thank you for replying to my comment on the other thread. Would you explain your point about biology? Also I am interested to learn about how women's rights are affected, this is something I have never really considered before.
Womens rights......is interesting, and complicated..... as a lot seems to depend on your starting point!

If you go back into the mists of time! Women were not seen as equal to men, so for most of the last century women in western countries, (as there is still massive inequality around the world!) had to fight hard politically to get equal rights.
Equal rights to vote, and have an effect on the politics of the time
Equal rights to own property
Equal rights to earn the same salary as men
Equal rights over families
Equal rights for the same amount of media coverage, TV representation etc
Equal rights for the same amount of respect and attention for their opinions as men

And one that is more recent: Equal rights for older women as compared to older men, or younger women especially as regards TV anchors etc....

The issue basically was that being born female gave you an automatic disadvantage, not only physically, as most women are smaller, so it was important to promote the rights of women and girls separately from men.

Women earned / are earning.....important rights, like the right to safe spaces, the rights to say no to men (think of all the furore about the me too movement)
So its important to be clear about what womens rights are. And who women are!

The trans debate can partially confuse this womens rights message. Because is confuses the question of who is a woman?

Reactions: 3
And yet another excellent thread

He’s not wrong. When I was growing up the online fads fuelled by the internet (late 90s/early-mid 00’s) was cutting and anorexia/bulimia. The difference is these were cracked down upon by the sites (looking back, not very well, but home Internet was still in its infancy) not promoted by them and certainly parents were not helping and encouraging their children to cut themselves and purge.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.