Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

PoleStar

Chatty Member
I’ve never really thought much about the gender debate and I’m sure it’s only become an issue in the past 5 years or so?

If you think back to the 80s/90s etc there were trans people etc back then and they never shouted about how they felt excluded from public toilets and stuff. Non binary wasn’t a thing, people were just androgynous. I don’t get why some people need a label for everything? Fair enough if you don’t conform to gender stereotypes, it’s 2020, but why label yourself as non binary and expect others to change their language so they don’t offend you.

This may be controversial but personally I believe that gender dysphoria is a serious mental illness. And if tiktok is anything to go by, it very often manifests alongside other mental illnesses as well. There are so many trans/non binary people on there that are always banging on about their problems - often they claim to have depression, anxiety, bipolar, personality disorders etc.

Yes I understand that times change and I hate to sound like a daily mail reader but the world really has gone mad. The Luna sanitary pad debacle is just crazy, if you look on twitter people are praising them for being inclusive but it’s just ridiculous that we are not allowed to say ‘woman’ as it might offend a tiny tiny proportion of the population!
I'm so glad that I'm old enough and wise enough to have faith in my own knowledge and views, so glad I'm not easy prey for any foaming at the mouth trans activists who wouldn't agree with my views.There are 2 sexes/genders in this world - male and female, determined by mother nature herself. As you say, back in the 70s, 80s, 90s there were transsexuals and, as far as I can tell, they just quietly got on with their lives. The problem, as I see it, is that too many of the current younger generation feel they have a God-given right to be confrontational, aggressive and unpleasant to anyone who doesn't agree with their views - they don't seem to have learnt how to engage in civil discussion or understand the merits of agreeing to disagree politely. As for Superdrug, they have lost my custom by launching sanitary products for "people who menstruate" - as a WOMAN I won't be setting foot in any of their stores again.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

mindlessness

VIP Member
I’ve mentioned before I have a left-wing friend who called JK a transphobe when the essay was first published. We were at lunch and I asked her if she’d actually read it, because it was nuanced and pretty clear Rowling wasn’t being transphobic and was raising important concerns etc. She hadn’t read the essay. :( But she’d read other people saying Rowling was transphobic and decided that was the case. I think it’s partly because it became the prevailing ‘woke’ perspective? And people are afraid to step away from the narrative for fear of being kicked out of the club?
Who knows.

svdwoodsen

VIP Member
IIRC, it all boils down to the people (I mean males) who campaigned for gender dysphoria to no longer be considered a mental disorder. Don’t ask me how and why it was successful, because 🤷‍♀️

If it’s not a mental disorder then the only “treatment” is to affirm, affirm, affirm and commence hormones and surgery.
To preface this, I love men. I have a great relationship with my father, brother, and partner and always had many close guy friends growing up so this isn't an attack on the opposite gender. But it's no coincidence that the obnoxious, vocal, and controversial opinions almost all come from those who are biologically male and even after they've transition into "women," they are still attacking biological females. These guys usually had very little luck with women pre-transition (if they were interested in women to begin with) or struggled to date in the gay community and were often unhappy as a result. No matter what gender they claim to identify with, they resent women and are now trying to punish us for it.

I feel that in future years this issue will be looked upon as a healthcare scandal of the magnitude of the tainted blood scandal that is currently being put through a public enquiry. My elder niece is 17 and has two children (for that is what they are) in her year in the sixth form who are undergoing trans "therapy". I didn't really come into my own until I was 21, I guess my hormones had settled down by then - up until then I felt shy, unconfident and still immature. How any parent can allow a vulnerable and, more than likely, confused teenager/child undertake gender reassignment is beyond me and I strongly believe it should be outlawed.
👏👏👏

I was a late bloomer and didn't have my first kiss until 18, and my first time came a couple of years after that. I grew up in more traditional times but if I was a child born into the overly sexualized, "woke" world today, I bet some radicals would be telling me that I am maybe trans and uncomfortable with my body, when I was just not at that stage in my development/not interested in anything sexual back then, and they probbaly think I should explore transitioning in my teens. Completely unnecessary and potentially dangerous.

Last edited:

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Trans footballer abused after signing for a professional club.

I don’t for a second condone any abuse but I am extremely disappointed in the FA, who banned women’s football for fifty years in the past, for even allowing someone born male to join a professional women’s team and I hope they don’t allow this person to play in competitive matches because blood test or not you cannot change bone structure or muscle placement, or the fact that you’re Male. Men are on average faster and stronger than women and hormones will never fully negate that. It’s not ‘abuse’ to raise valid concerns on males competing in women’s sports. It shouldn’t be allowed in my opinion and it’s a disgrace that it is happening and hardly anyone seems to be fighting against it. More sports women like Sharron Davies and Martina Navratilova need to speak on this like yesterday.

• Heart

cedarpeach

I said I wouldn't vote for him because of all the things you noted! I would vote Biden. And Hillary in 2016.

What many of us noted though is sadly Republicans are the ones who would end the extreme trans rhetoric. Sadly I do think Trump will get a second term.
I wasn't singling you out. I think he will get a second term, too. My point was simply that we shouldn't vote against our own interests just because we are angry about the trans movement.

I wonder if the tide will turn against gender ideology as we all start to learn more? For a long time I, naively, thought that "trans" meant transexual. I have been shocked to learn about the extremes of the trans movement, especially when it comes to children. Janice Turner and JK Rowling were the first people to open my eyes to the extent of this. Janice Turner has written a couple of excellent pieces in The Times about Mermaids.

I met a friend on Sunday and I brought up the issue of JKR being 'cancelled' to see what her view is. She and I share political and social viewpoints and I was keen to hear her thoughts. She responded as I expected actually - "what a shame that JKR did this, it's made people question their love for Harry Potter etc etc". When I started to share what I have learned about trans ideology, though, she started to agree with me that it is going too far and that SEX IS IMMUTABLE! I genuinely can't believe this is up for debate. Both my friend and I want everyone to live in peace without the threat of abuse or discrimination, but that doesn't mean we need to opt into an ideology that denies science and fact.

What I really noticed while trying to converse with my friend is how difficult it was for me to be articulate because talking about gender ideology requires constant mental gymnastics. It is so confusing to wrap one's head around "men get periods" etc. I had to keep stopping myself mid-sentence to gather the right terminology. Madness.

I joined r/gendercritical only yesterday and only managed a few hours before being notified that the sub had been banned by Reddit. I couldn't believe it.

• Heart

maytoseptember

VIP Member
I was a late bloomer and didn't have my first kiss until 18, and my first time came a couple of years after that. I grew up in more traditional times but if I was a child born into the overly sexualized, "woke" world today, I bet some radicals would be telling me that I am maybe trans and uncomfortable with my body, when I was just not at that stage in my development/not interested in anything sexual back then, and they probbaly think I should explore transitioning in my teens. Completely unnecessary and potentially dangerous.
Same, and I guarantee you that if I was a teen now I would be all over this non-binary shit. I would have jumped at the chance to have a socially acceptable excuse for my awkwardness and lack of interest in boys and dating, and to reject the pressure to be hyper groomed and hyper feminine.

• Heart

cedarpeach

Depends what you do about those concerns really, go and attack people and say it's all trans people's fault? Then yeah. Engage in discussions and try to find a way to support trans people and rights then no, i wouldn't say you were.

However, the huge upswing in children being given hormone blockers is like asking why the number of cases of children with autism is on the rise? We know more about it, there's more support and services surrounding it so of course there's going to be an upsiwng. I don't automatically think that's a negative.

I also truly don't think women's rights are being attacked or eradicated because we're including all women. I think that is a very positive thing.

I don't think it is but feel free to explain how/why you feel like that.
I certainly would never attack anyone, in any way shape or form.

I disagree with your point about child transition being a good thing. I don’t think any child should receive life altering transition surgery or treatment as a minor. that’s not to say they are not trans, it’s simply that children need time and care as they move from childhood to adulthood. Medical intervention should only ever happen to adults who can give informed consent.

I am not anti trans but I am very nervous about much of the current ideology that labels anyone with legitimate concerns “transphobic” or a “TERF”.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

cedarpeach

No, that does not. If a man says he's not a women then of course you'd believe him, and of course you aren't transphobic for it. But if a MTF says she's a women and you say you're a man, then you are transphobic. It's not hard.
it’s not about believing or disbelieving someone when they say they are trans. It’s about the potential changes to legislation and erosion of women’s rights.

bethannebodyworks

This shit is out of hand. If you were a real woman, you'd know that we don't get to opt out of our sex-based oppression.

If you are a woman, you are a woman at all times--even when it is not "convenient" for you.

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow

maytoseptember

VIP Member
It gets worse than cervical cancer not being a female issue. Action Aid UK, a charity devoted to working with women and girls living in poverty, has declared that “there is no such thing as a biologically female/male body”.

I’ve got nothing. When a charity working for the most marginalised women and girls across the globe is unable to acknowledge basic biology (and acknowledge that the charity wouldn’t need to exist if females weren’t disadvantaged due to their biology) then... 🤯

They do great work, and STILL don’t have the balls to stand up for women. Argh!

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow

mindlessness

VIP Member
I’ve noticed Trans Men’s voices aren’t as much of a focus for the TRA movement. You’d think they would want to amplify all Trans people’s voices?

Why, it’s almost as if even after transitioning people born biologically female are ignored when it’s convenient...(I’m being a bit facetious, but also, not entirely wrong?)

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Went to scroll through papergangs Instagram after another thread on here said it is a good subscription box, wantes to see what past boxes contained etc.

Saw they posted this image and immediately decided they wouldn't be getting my custom.
Virtue signalling nonsense. Trans men make up such a tiny % of the overall female population. Who is this even for?

Found this handy graphic that explains the physical differences between men and women and why most sports are sex segregated (and should stay that way). A lot of things on there that people don’t consider.
D6B0AC9D-7EBD-493F-A9BC-25BAE323C34D.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart

svdwoodsen

VIP Member
Does anyone know anyone in real life who is an active pro-trans lobbyist (as in, militant and outspoken about it)? Or is it all just contained on Twitter and within Jameela Jamil's timeline? Is it more common in the U.S? I have never met anyone IRL who actually believes JK Rowling is a transphobe, but I would really like to know where these people actually are. I move in fairly liberal circles and I'm in my early 30s, not like I'm a dinosaur hanging out with old people who only read the Express. Any IRL stories greatly appreciated.
No one in my circle (20-40 somethings in a large global city like NYC/London/Hong Kong) is vocal about it but no one is saying anything against it either. I think everyone's too afraid to step on the toes of the "woke" people and get branded as a racist/bigot/hateful (it's funny how if you're anti some of the trans community, people also assume you're anti LGB, racist, bigoted, etc.) so if the uncomfortable subject ever gets brought up (i.e. What do you think of JKR's comments?), the answer is usually something very PC like "it's too bad she feels this way. We should never discriminate people". I actually only know one person who came out as trans and has undergone hormone therapy (FtoM) and he's actually rather low-key. Other than attending the occasional LGBTQ parade, he now has a girlfriend and seems to live a fairly normal life (notice how he's a biological female, while the biological men are crying wolf constantly in the media about their unfair treatment).

Privately, a few close friends of mine along with my partner all agree it's largely a mental disorder. And while we sympathize with people going through this and don't believe they should be discriminated socially or professionally, none of us are happy with how pushy these "activists" are being and infringing upon the rights of women

• Heart

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I watched all 4 episodes of First Day thought I’d share my thoughts..

So, main character called Hannah - transgender girl starting high school, it’s filmed in Australia. First episode breaches the issue of toilets, and at first she is told she has to use the sick bay toilets, the main character obviously wasn’t happy with this.

Mum won’t let hannah sleep over at friends houses unless they and their parents know they are trans. This was dressed up as ‘we need to keep you safe’ but we all know it’s more likely to be the other way round and it’s about keeping the other girls safe. Hannah decides to tell one friend she trusts about being trans, friend is fine with it, I think this scene was meant to be emotional but I didn’t feel it.

Eventually everyone finds out Hannah is trans when a student in another year sends a mass text to everyone in the school. Hannah ends up taking a week off school. Her friends are ok with her being trans, apart from one who leaves their group. In later episodes she is eventually allowed to use the girls toilets after a lot of nagging of the head teacher from her friends.

There’s a kid who Hannah knows from primary school who keeps threatening to deadname and tell everyone about her being trans but never does. It’s briefly implied ‘Isabelle’ has some shit going on at home (Abuse) and honestly I was more interested in her story than Hannah’s but it wasn't explored further.

The last episode they go to a swimming camp, Hannah is in a girls dorm, funny how that was fine but at the start she couldn’t even use the girls toilets. I guess like was mentioned a few times throughout the show, people knowing you’re trans is the most important thing above all else. Forget about any potential safety issues or how if it was the real world not all girls would be so chill about having to share a dorm with a male. One girl gets her period unexpectedly, another girl has a whole stash of sanpro and upon seeing it one of Hannah’s friends say “there’s enough here for every girl at camp!”. Then it cuts to a bit later where the friend apologised to Hannah for that comment because it wasn’t inclusive and she ‘didn’t think’. She said nothing wrong imo and shouldn’t have apologised for saying a perfectly normal thing. Friend then says Hannah is lucky she doesn’t have to deal with periods, then Hannah says she wishes she did🙄🙄🙄🙄

Ohhh almost forgot. The parts where Hannah is explaining what being trans is. She describes it as “when you’re born a girl or a boy but you’re actually the opposite”. I didn’t like the way this was explained because it makes it sound like a medical condition rather than a mental one, and there was zero mention of dysphoria which, imo would make it easier to understand. The character said you know from around 2 or 3 that you are trans (but what about rapid onset gd?). Also felt it was a bit simplistic and too much emphasis on stereotypes (what a surprise), this could potentially cause kids to wonder if they are trans too when they wouldn’t have otherwise just because they wanted to play cars when they were little.

Overall I found it to be nothing more than pro trans propoganda and I won’t be letting my kids access this show because all it would show them is how to make way for men in your female only spaces in the name of being ‘inclusive’. Not a fan.

Last edited:
  • Heart

rosemarina

VIP Member
So now we are fucking non prostate owners!!! Apparently the readers of teen vogue are 12-17. The clitoris isn’t even on that diagram!
When JK said this is the most misogynistic time she’s lived through I thought that was a bit ott, now I 100% get it! This is a dreadful time for women
The missing clitoris fucking says it ALL.

I keep wondering about the earlier posters on these threads, the ones who called us TERFs and transphobes. Are they seeing this, or did they stop reading when it became inconvenient?

• Heart

Pambo

It is bizarre. I may disagree with trans ideology but we act in a socially appropriate way when we are around trans people including my daughter's friends and children of my own friends, so I have no idea why we are being singled out.
Again, this is where it gets Orwellian with the 'progressive' Left. Living in a tolerant society means just that: you don't have to like or agree with something, but you have to be tolerant of those that do.

That's not enough for the Left. You can't just "tolerate" it, you have to agree with it, and 100% at that. There's no "each to their own, live and let live, not for me but they're happy so whatever" - no. That's not good enough. You have to embrace their warped ideology wholeheartedly or be hounded as a bigot or a Nazi. You have no choice or right to a differing opinion, and certainly not the right to express it.

I loathe these people, not for their beliefs or lifestyles, but because they're the fascist Wiftchfinder Generals of Political Correctness, always looking for 'subversives' and constantly ready to denounce 'wrongthinkers'.

• Heart

PoleStar

Chatty Member
The teenage years are a difficult time and no one really knows who they are, you're still discovering your identity as a person and it's a tough time to navigate. A lot of people settle into themselves when they go to college and start working or whatever. I just hate the thoughts of Mermaids telling a confused and hormonal teen they're trapped into the wrong body as if the body they were born into is something to be ashamed of and needs tampering with. It's a scandal
I feel that in future years this issue will be looked upon as a healthcare scandal of the magnitude of the tainted blood scandal that is currently being put through a public enquiry. My elder niece is 17 and has two children (for that is what they are) in her year in the sixth form who are undergoing trans "therapy". I didn't really come into my own until I was 21, I guess my hormones had settled down by then - up until then I felt shy, unconfident and still immature. How any parent can allow a vulnerable and, more than likely, confused teenager/child undertake gender reassignment is beyond me and I strongly believe it should be outlawed.

• Heart
  • Wow