Gender Discussion #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just posted this on the JK Rowling thread. She is a queen. I've no doubt some TRAs will say 'but she's wealthy and can afford to do this'. To that I say look at Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, they have spent their wealth on boy toys and not on helping people in need.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
bell v tavistock is now a case we study on my uni course when talking about consent! keira has made a massive impact on the uk.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
What did Rowling do wrong to deserve death threats? Post pictures of trans people being beheaded with laughing emojis? Saying that trans people 'deserve to die'? Call them 'freaks'? No. She simply made the point that women menstruate and to deny that as a fact and get OFFENDED by the use of the word woman is indicative of a culture that's going to hell in a handcart. I freely admit, I wouldn't have the guts to post his on my social media but I am so GLAD that this group is here and we can be open and honest.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I was also thinking about this last night. All the news about EP is that they are so happy but then the pictures look the opposite. Is it what the photographers are going for? Is it the look EP is going for? If so it's an odd choice to have an image that looks so opposite to the supposed emotion being expressed.

I can't help but feel really sorry for the wife. If Elliot knew they were a man from 3 years old, what were they doing marrying someone?
Seems that when males come out as trans, it’s all sunshine and rainbows, heels and flippy skirts, coy smiles and head tilts (Chelsea Manning is a perfect example, although there are countless others). When females come out as trans they just look miserable and tortured.

There’s a thesis in it somewhere. Societal expectations of male vs. female behaviour (one is expected to smile; one isn’t). The drivers behind transition (AGP vs. MH problems and body hatred).

I just feel really sad for EP because it doesn’t look like transitioning has solved anything.

Reactions: 14
Seems that when males come out as trans, it’s all sunshine and rainbows, heels and flippy skirts, coy smiles and head tilts (Chelsea Manning is a perfect example, although there are countless others). When females come out as trans they just look miserable and tortured.

There’s a thesis in it somewhere. Societal expectations of male vs. female behaviour (one is expected to smile; one isn’t). The drivers behind transition (AGP vs. MH problems and body hatred).

I just feel really sad for EP because it doesn’t look like transitioning has solved anything.
In the case of EP it reminds me of when people are, for example, depressed and think things like "if I just lose 10 kilos I will feel better" they lose the weight and obviously it changes nothing

Reactions: 17
She looks awful and desperately sad! Lack of eye contact, a shadow of her former self. Definitely had her lips done as well. Looks like the haunted little boy from sixth sense. Makes me so sad

Reactions: 11
This is from last summer but I only found out about it last night. I loved Garbage in the 90s and thought Shirley Manson was great but this is so disappointing. Bear in mind this was tweeted after George Floyd so that makes it even more gross. How many 'TERFs' have killed someone by kneeling on their necks? The analogy makes a real mockery of George Floyd and it's pretty disgusting that a white middle aged woman used that as a stick to beat women with
I have been a fan of Garbage since 1995, no more after that tweet. They can piss off

• Heart
Reactions: 8
She looks awful and desperately sad! Lack of eye contact, a shadow of her former self. Definitely had her lips done as well. Looks like the haunted little boy from sixth sense. Makes me so sad
She’s sitting like a man, gesticulating like a man but in reality she’s a very sad mentally ill woman.

Reactions: 13
I saw that on reddit last night - some people interpreted it as a woman struggling with people objectifying her by her body but the comment interpreting it as gender dysphoria were all very highly upvoted.

This is from last summer but I only found out about it last night. I loved Garbage in the 90s and thought Shirley Manson was great but this is so disappointing. Bear in mind this was tweeted after George Floyd so that makes it even more gross. How many 'TERFs' have killed someone by kneeling on their necks? The analogy makes a real mockery of George Floyd and it's pretty disgusting that a white middle aged woman used that as a stick to beat women with
There was someone that I used to really enjoy - Dominic Noble - on YouTube and he did a lot of reviews of how film/tv adaptations differed from books. He did a lot of HP content and had always praised JK for being wonderful and getting kids into reading and when the letter dropped he put out a video saying how absolutely awful she was and how he was so sorry he had harmed people by (years earlier) releasing his videos and he was never doing another HP video again (obviously his right) because she was one of the most evil people ever and was so horrific nobody should ever read her books and just a constant barrage of absolute vitriol. I watch videos of people I disagree with as I want to expose myself to a range of viewpoints but I'm sure if he met me he'd think I was a totally evil person as well so I unsubbed and never went back to his videos. (I'm paraphrasing as it was a while ago and I can't remember the exact words he used but that was the sentiment)

After that I stopped looking up bands/actresses/content creators that I like on social media just because I don't want to hear how awful 'TERFs' are and have my view of them ruined.

• Angry
Reactions: 12
I was speaking to a friend recently who trained as a psychiatric nurse. She said one of the first rules she was taught was never to go along with a patient’s delusion. Today we have medical professionals going along with and actively encouraging delusions and criticising anyone who goes against them. Madness

Reactions: 25
‘December’s cruel High Court ruling in the Keira Bell v Tavistock case effectively banned puberty blockers for trans under 16s in England and Wales, unless they got permission from the court. But on 26 March, that ruling was effectively reversed.’ - wow, I didn’t know about this!

• Sad
Reactions: 4
‘December’s cruel High Court ruling in the Keira Bell v Tavistock case effectively banned puberty blockers for trans under 16s in England and Wales, unless they got permission from the court. But on 26 March, that ruling was effectively reversed.’ - wow, I didn’t know about this!
It’s not been overruled in full, the judgment on whether children themselves can consent if Gillick competent stands, the latest judgment applies only to the issue of whether parents can consent or not (so has effectively overturned that aspect of Bell)

Reactions: 5
First time on this thread. Inspired by watching some clips of EP today.
what a sad mess they look. The new lips also look incredibly bizarre. I read a few bits about the interview and there’s a part where they complain they had to look like a girl when playing a girl.
EPs entire career is based around them playing a pregnant teenage girl they won’t ever escape that. I wonder long term what work is available for someone who is trying to look like a 13 year old boy in their 30s.

Reactions: 16
That’s the thing about EP - it’s hard to pass as an adult man when you’re five feet tall and very slight.

The lips are strange though - looked like a gumshield or something. I couldn’t figure out why the upper lip looked so strange and wondered whether it was EP consciously acting masculine or something else.

EP looks really unhappy and ill. If this massive change made them feel better then I personally don’t have a problem with it, but for Elliot they just look like they are struggling with whatever medication they are on or the mental strain of it all

Reactions: 9
EP looks very frail and unwell. Very sad to see.

Re children having puberty blockers, we have an age of consent for sex because it was felt younger people couldn't make such a decision for themselves and could be exploited. Isn't this the same for puberty blockers?

Reactions: 15
First time on this thread. Inspired by watching some clips of EP today.
what a sad mess they look. The new lips also look incredibly bizarre. I read a few bits about the interview and there’s a part where they complain they had to look like a girl when playing a girl.
EPs entire career is based around them playing a pregnant teenage girl they won’t ever escape that. I wonder long term what work is available for someone who is trying to look like a 13 year old boy in their 30s.
Welcome. I think acting wise...she's a bit of a novelty at the moment but her career will be on the scrap heap soon. I can't see her lasting in her Umbrella acadamy role if she is moaning about having to act as a girl, and lets face it they want eye candy for the blokes. Perhaps bit parts here and there and when the detranisoners can no longer be ignored and the law suits hit that will be hit

Reactions: 7
Re children having puberty blockers, we have an age of consent for sex because it was felt younger people couldn't make such a decision for themselves and could be exploited. Isn't this the same for puberty blockers?
I think I explained this a while back so I apologise if I’n repeating myself but it also relates to the permanence of the decision. So in law child autonomy is viewed as being a spectrum that once you turn 18 you are considered fully autonomous (if mentally competent). This is why for example children can consent to say, antibiotics without their parents being involved but they cannot refuse a life-saving blood transfusion because it would result in permanent death. This is why I personally think puberty blockers are so different to normal treatment that it would justify a departure from the normal law, which is that a competent child can consent to a treatment offered by a medical professional. Despite this, children under 16 still need parental consent to take part in a clinical trial involving an investigational medicinal product (aka a new drug or one tested for a new purpose) and this seems the same to me - PBs are experimental and lacking the longitudinal data that would speak to how permanent or not the decision is, so how can children make that decision?

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.