Gender Discussion #50

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thankful I took early retirement from the education sector. This brainwashing of children is appalling.
That Grandad's Pride book is just gross. Why do the blokes in Pride parades have to wear those leather harness bondage type get ups? That's not touting for acceptance, that is putting your kink on show for all to see.

• Sick
Reactions: 27
Totally deranged. As is the idea that anyone not trans identified is living according to an ideology.
Bizarre isn't it?
If 'CIS normativity' didn't exist anymore then there would be no more procreation.
Is this all some sort of population control experiment?

Reactions: 22
The best tweet I read about Grandad’s Pride was “How come he has bloody grandchildren?” 🤣

I mean I know plenty of men come out after fathering kids, it’s just such a fantastical concept to have a sweet old grandad figure plonked into a pride parade scene.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
The book thing is so worrying, because it seems to innocuous. I don't care if there are books where there are gay characters, or men and women dressing in non gender stereotypical ways, but the kink stuff and telling little ones that boys can become girls etc is worrying when they are so impressionable!

My nearly 2 year old has lots of books but at that age they mainly have animal or anthropomorphic vehicles as protagonists. As he grows up I want him to have access to a variety of stories from the classics through to modern tales, but I don't want anything that suggests one lifestyle is better than another. I know a lot of classics like the Narnia books have stereotypes that need discussing, but the pride books always make it seem like hetero families are boring whereas LGBT rainbow families are full of extra love and support etc or that being trans will somehow transform your life.

• Sad
Reactions: 29
It's clumsily-put on the lib dem list of period-related discussion topics, but I think they mainly mean that females transitioning to males who haven't (yet) had hysterectomy surgery or long enough on hormone treatment may still have periods. Same if they're non-binary.
I would be pretty sure that this is partly what they mean, but isnt the issue then that logically the language makes no sense? And even if a female has had a hysterectomy , genetically they are still XX, and still biologically female!
Where in a biology /science sense does non binary fit? Are there non binary horses, or dogs, or other mammals?

But in some respects, I do agree that menstruation isnt just a female issue, in as much as it would be great if my husband/boyfriend or male boss or male colleagues, understood menstruation better, so it wasnt just a 'dirty'/ 'comedy' topic!
But then as others have said, if medicine and society was to take menstruation and associated female 'troubles' like endometriosis, which can get so much worse, at certain times of the month, seriously then they should be putting their money where their mouth is and actually pay for some decent research and support for these issues.
Period poverty is dreadful, but its almost the tip of the iceberg, maybe the reason some girls are absent during their periods is things like cramps, or mood swings, or fatigue, its not just a shortage of tampons or pads?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
The book thing has me thinking about how media, including books, for children introduces the world to kids.

When my kid started school they sent us a list of the PSHE resources for key stage 1 and 2. They were books about family relationships, like one with two dads or one with a grandparent carer to start to introduce representation. Also kids books with characters from different cultures, like of like how CBeebies does representation, just has it there without comment. Nothing at all to do with gender or sexuality - they are far too young. This is why everyone kicked off when the book describing 99 genders was introduced.

CBeebies has has representation of many cultures, skin colours, has had presenters that have limb difference and currently a presenter with Downs Syndrome. A specific program that puts often non verbal disabled children front and centre (Something Special) also used Makaton signing. Programs that introduce children from other countries and their day to day lives, including living in the Amazon or India, how they go to school etc.

I know through social media that there are several CBBC presenters who are gay. Just as when I was a kid there were gay presenters (but we didn’t know about it til later on). It has nothing to do with the programs they present or how they do their job. I’m glad people no longer have to pretend to be something they are not to be accepted to work in any industry, including children’s TV, teaching etc. I am desperately hoping that the BBC resist the step of going for trans people in children’s TV like drag story time. Has a drag queen done bedtime stories yet?? My littlest one loves Tom Hiddleston doing Supertato

Reactions: 19
I would be pretty sure that this is partly what they mean, but isnt the issue then that logically the language makes no sense? And even if a female has had a hysterectomy , genetically they are still XX, and still biologically female!
Where in a biology /science sense does non binary fit? Are there non binary horses, or dogs, or other mammals?

But in some respects, I do agree that menstruation isnt just a female issue, in as much as it would be great if my husband/boyfriend or male boss or male colleagues, understood menstruation better, so it wasnt just a 'dirty'/ 'comedy' topic!
But then as others have said, if medicine and society was to take menstruation and associated female 'troubles' like endometriosis, which can get so much worse, at certain times of the month, seriously then they should be putting their money where their mouth is and actually pay for some decent research and support for these issues.
Period poverty is dreadful, but its almost the tip of the iceberg, maybe the reason some girls are absent during their periods is things like cramps, or mood swings, or fatigue, its not just a shortage of tampons or pads?
Research into female health is woefully lacking. I saw the other day that tampon absorbance have only just been testing using actual blood!! Up to now, absorption levels were based on tests done with water or saline. Anyone with any sense would know that this is going to give false results!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Research into female health is woefully lacking. I saw the other day that tampon absorbance have only just been testing using actual blood!! Up to now, absorption levels were based on tests done with water or saline. Anyone with any sense would know that this is going to give false results!
Did they use that blue water from the adverts? Couldn’t be more obvious that they through menstrual blood was offensive.

Reactions: 15
The book thing is so worrying, because it seems to innocuous. I don't care if there are books where there are gay characters, or men and women dressing in non gender stereotypical ways, but the kink stuff and telling little ones that boys can become girls etc is worrying when they are so impressionable!

My nearly 2 year old has lots of books but at that age they mainly have animal or anthropomorphic vehicles as protagonists. As he grows up I want him to have access to a variety of stories from the classics through to modern tales, but I don't want anything that suggests one lifestyle is better than another. I know a lot of classics like the Narnia books have stereotypes that need discussing, but the pride books always make it seem like hetero families are boring whereas LGBT rainbow families are full of extra love and support etc or that being trans will somehow transform your life.
It's to draw them in at a very early age, so that they ask no questions later when older , when they are pushing for a lower age of consent ( like Tatchells want for 12 for boys)

Reactions: 13
The book thing has me thinking about how media, including books, for children introduces the world to kids.

When my kid started school they sent us a list of the PSHE resources for key stage 1 and 2. They were books about family relationships, like one with two dads or one with a grandparent carer to start to introduce representation. Also kids books with characters from different cultures, like of like how CBeebies does representation, just has it there without comment. Nothing at all to do with gender or sexuality - they are far too young. This is why everyone kicked off when the book describing 99 genders was introduced.

CBeebies has has representation of many cultures, skin colours, has had presenters that have limb difference and currently a presenter with Downs Syndrome. A specific program that puts often non verbal disabled children front and centre (Something Special) also used Makaton signing. Programs that introduce children from other countries and their day to day lives, including living in the Amazon or India, how they go to school etc.

I know through social media that there are several CBBC presenters who are gay. Just as when I was a kid there were gay presenters (but we didn’t know about it til later on). It has nothing to do with the programs they present or how they do their job. I’m glad people no longer have to pretend to be something they are not to be accepted to work in any industry, including children’s TV, teaching etc. I am desperately hoping that the BBC resist the step of going for trans people in children’s TV like drag story time. Has a drag queen done bedtime stories yet?? My littlest one loves Tom Hiddleston doing Supertato
Yes I love the way cbeebies does representation. It's just...there as it should be. It doesn't feel forced.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

This video was posted by CBeebies profiling Tiny Happy People to the BBC ‘videos to make you think’ playlist. The baby has two mums - except one of them is a male. You can find the link to it in this letter: https://lesbianalliance.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/cbeebies-letter.pdf
The video is on CBeebies Facebook.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Vogue 'Powerhouse 25' women for this year - how hard was it to find 25 noteworthy women? They've included Emily Bridges:mad:

The Vogue 25: Meet The Powerhouse Women Who Made This Year’s Line-Up | British Vogue
Seriously? This is beyond insulting. The puff piece about Emily says that 'some claim' that transgender athletes have an unfair advantage. Some claim? They make it sound like people are just making arbitrary assertions based on nothing whatsoever instead of common sense and science.

And talking about sport, Nike refused to make a replica kit for the England goal keeper Mary Earps, yet this is the same company that used Dylan Mulvaney, who not only is transgender, but also doesn't actually play any sport, to advertise sport's bras.

There's not a cat's chance in hell that I will ever buy or wear any Nike products in the future.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
Vogue 'Powerhouse 25' women for this year - how hard was it to find 25 noteworthy women? They've included Emily Bridges:mad:

The Vogue 25: Meet The Powerhouse Women Who Made This Year’s Line-Up | British Vogue
Oh, FFS!

He'll be creaming himself with delight!
---
Seriously? This is beyond insulting. The puff piece about Emily says that 'some claim' that transgender athletes have an unfair advantage. Some claim? They make it sound like people are just making arbitrary assertions based on nothing whatsoever instead of common sense and science.

And talking about sport, Nike refused to make a replica kit for the England goal keeper Mary Earps, yet this is the same company that used Dylan Mulvaney, who not only is transgender, but also doesn't actually play any sport, to advertise sport's bras.

There's not a cat's chance in hell that I will ever buy or wear any Nike products in the future.
Same here.

I'd go barefoot first.

Reactions: 10
Stonewall and other alphabet organisations have been given leave to intervene in the judicial review where the Scottish Government is challenging Alistair Jack on the section 35 order blocking the passage of the Gender Recognition Reform (Scotland) Bill into law. They’ve been given permission to submit written evidence outlining their reasons for challenging the UK Government’s stance that there would be adverse consequences if the Bill became law.

Colin Macfarlane, Director of Nations at Stonewall said: “…[The Bill] would also bring Scotland into line with international best practice. More than 30 countries or territories around the world such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland have similar or more progressive laws and we want Scotland to join them so our trans friends, family and colleagues can live their lives with dignity.’’

Jay Stewart, CEO of Gendered Intelligence said: “Trans people should be able to live their lives with dignity and autonomy. Gender Recognition Reform is about trans people not relying on medical practitioners to ‘authorise’ any one person’s gender.

Wtf is this ‘International best practice’? Where is the empirical evidence that this ‘practice’ is beneficial for everyone? The Institute for Constitutional and Democratic Research (ICDR) is also backing the intervention:

Victoria Grace, Chief Operations Officer of the ICDR said:“Constitutional questions like this one aren’t just between governments. They impact on every citizen. Interventions like this one are an essential way for civil society to ensure that the court has all the information it needs to make a proper decision. The ICDR is delighted to have the opportunity to join with other civil society organisations to assist the court in this manner.”

So she acknowledges that questions like this impact on every citizen, yet it seems that the citizens for whom this decision is going to have the greatest impact (ie women and children) are not being given due consideration at all. Just fed up with these organisations wielding power.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland have similar or more progressive laws and we want Scotland
These countries are very captured. I'm sure Wales must be in there also. When I say captured I don't necessarily mean the public but the institutions.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.