Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Milliemoo99

VIP Member
I have a grammar question.
As a French citizen English can be confusing and these new pronouns are impossible to learn obviously.
But, I am wondering: when a person wants us to use « they/them » are we supposed to use the plural after or the singular form of the verbs? They are or they is? As it’s for one person?

And why don’t they want us to use « it/its »?
I totally agree with the confused logic about grammar. its confusing and makes virtually no sense. Ive no idea of the answer!

I think the issue about 'it ' is that it is used for impersonal things......... which doesnt go with the idea of respecting individual people and their unique feelings. !!!! So its better to use a plural, ???????

I dont understand the logic at all.......

I can see some have previously answered part of this......using they to refer to an individual in absence.....but it still doesnt explain how to properly use they, if you are watching a TV programme, or writing an article, On 'Glow up' the make up show there was a gender neutral person on there,
Should you say .....they is making up a model, singular, or they are making up a model?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4

Scotch Mist

VIP Member
I have a feeling its extremely complicated....!!! And a total minefield!

There was a woman who recently won her case against BT for racial discrimination at work.

She was American, and got upset because of a couple of instances of what were proved to be racial discrimination. She had left her job citing stress and anxiety and took the company to court.
The 2 instances used were: as a US national, she needed to renew her work visa. Her manager tried to intervene on her behalf and told HR I assume that she might be deported if they didnt sort out the work visa paperwork. This remark caused her stress and led to her being anxious and having to stay at home off work.
This was then made worse after, with a comment made in an evening discussion whilst the team were at an evening meal, whilst working overnight in Northern Ireland. ( which surely isnt a work situation? ) about whether or not she could swim, and her colleague wondering why so many black women didnt swim.
Apparently its because of something about the texture of peoples hair? And its racist because in the USA there is a history of black people not being able to use swimming pools that white people used? A history which I doubt many UK residents have a clue about?
How much did this woman win for this flimsy case? The first part about the Visa is nonsense surely? Her manager was trying to help her and possibly over emphasised to help her out 🙄 if it wasn't sorted out then there would have been a chance of her being deported. The work related stress was surely more to do with her workload.

The second part seems a bit OTT although I can understand why she might have thought the discussion was inappropriate. I bet the company were glad to see the back of her.

Ensay

VIP Member
All my lesbian friends (me included) HATE the rainbow crossings. We moan about how it’s ramming LGBTQIA2A+ alphabet soup stuff down the public’s throats and making homophobia more prevalent. People are getting sick of it all. We don’t want to go to Pride anymore because it’s full of men crawling about in pup suits and far too much kink in public.
That’s not what we marched for back in the day!
These crossings and lanyards and adverts on every bloody cash machine I go to are making people fed up!
We got equal marriage, that’s what we wanted, equality, then Stonewall looked around for a new revenue stream and BOOM we were taken over by the trans ideology movement. The push for everything to be about gender identity is what. Those crossing are about and for my gay friends, who are in their 40s and 50s, it’s not the direction we wanted to go in whatsoever.
Stonewall have absolutely spilt and ruined the movement and I will never forgive them.
We have no lesbian bars left, no dating apps that aren’t full of AGP men and we are banned from any social media groups if we dare to talk about it. It’s absolutely heartbreaking, and every time I see one of those crossing, my partner and I roll our eyes and metaphorically spooked like the horses are,
I feel my community is destroyed,
Gay marriage is one thing, and that was great, but there's still a lot of homophobia about sadly and we do still have a way to go until full equality.

I'm obviously not suggesting rainbow crossings are going to solve homophobia and I'm not saying there needs to be one in every street, but in reality there are a tiny amount of them and they're mostly about raising a bit of visibility.

I'm glad you and your friends are happy but, like I say, there's still quite a bit of homophobia about - eg anti gay crimes are on the rise. I used to go out in Birmingham's gay village, but I don't feel safe doing that anymore after the attacks.

Examples here - don't click if you don't like blood, but that's the reality unfortunately.

A friend of mine narrowly escaped an attack in Manchester (thankfully he was able to run towards some Police nearby).

• Sad
Hopefully his appearance on QT will be as successful as Nick Griffin’s.
He’s not just a cretin, he’s a racist cretin. ( “India”, not your husband).
Fiona Bruce presents QT and is the most captured of all women. Did anyone watch this? How many times did she say she doesn't agree with whoever was speaking opposite Jonathan?
---

Wow. Aside from the fact that they are incorrect as rape is defined as penetration with a penis, so if the ‘woman’ uses a penis against another woman’s wishes it is still rape, that is unbelievable. Where is this from?
It's taken from a twitter DM conversation

• Wow

Ensay

VIP Member
They must be able to turn away business & money. They'll go bust soon.
Plenty of other printers will gladly take the work on .........
If only that were the case. This is roughly equivalent to that bakery in Northern Ireland that refused to bake a cake that had a pro gay marriage message on it (not trans). They're still going strong.

If enough people want to carry on giving money to a homophobic business, they'll keep giving money to a company that refuses to print perfectly valid stickers for KJK.

Ensay

VIP Member
I'm guessing your daughter is autistic, been in some online communities who told her she must be a boy because she hates puberty.
Also I want to say, please don't have shame in calling her a girl or she/her. I understand it may feel "loyal" to use the boy pronouns and names, but trust me: this is not what your girl wants deep down. She may deny it, because she feels she has to...but it's what the evil trans lobby filled her head with. If you call her "him", you are letting the paedophile trannies who groomed her win. Don't do that.
The problem is if AbnormalFrog suddenly starts using she/her, it's only likely to cause more upset at least in the short term. I understand the point you're making, but I honestly don't think it's wise.

There are ways and means to help her daughter come around, but a gentle approach is more likely to achieve that. I think abruptly switching to female pronouns could have the opposite effect.

Milliemoo99

VIP Member

This wouldn’t work, right?
I sincerely hope that it wouldnt work.......but if they are already doing it for some women, I assume it must be a matter of time?

It just sounds expensive, intrusive and a very complicated way to go about making a baby. Id assume the foetus would be created via IVF, as I cant see how the womb would be able to create viable eggs on a monthly basis, in a male body, and would need a caesarian towards the end

Ensay

VIP Member
From infected blood as 65% of new infections of HIV where in MSM group. Whilst there are protocols in place for infections there is still a very minimal risk of someone being infected. I am pretty sure they did not mention viruses jumping through the air in the article.
No they didn't mention that, which is why I used the phrasing "it's like they think".

It should be a risk based approach - as clearly a man who's in a long term relationship with another man is less at risk than someone who's had multiple sexual partners in the preceding three months.

I do sometimes frequent another forum which has more Americans and I believe they're considering changing it like I've suggested in the US, which shows there's a demand for it. I'm not sure if it's just state by state. Some gay men who replied adopted a "if my blood wasn't good enough for them up until now, I'm not going to donate going forward" stance. Which is a shame, but I get it as prejudice tends to piss people off.

But anyway I'm not gonna derail any further. I've raised it in the LGB thread for anyone who wants to discuss further. :)

Reactions: 3

emm

VIP Member
They are all very hysterical, i clicked link and some twat is "viscerally disgusted that he’s in my city right now" about Graham Linehan. Oh fuck off you egotistocal prick.
I hope Keir takes account of all this, until he recants the way GC witches are expected to i can not vote Labour
Exactly, labour must realise they cannot lose millions of votes just to pander to a tiny minority. I will vote them because the country is falling apart under the tories in terms of the NHS but I do get why so many women wouldn't vote for them. My MP is labour, has anyone written to theirs/met with them to discuss this? I want to but haven't yet

Salted Caramel

VIP Member
There is a a Diva Magazine survey about sexuality and gender and all things gay, lesbian and "non binary" to celebrate Lesbian Awareness Week, and some of the questions are infuriating. I saved my despair for the 'anything else you'd like to say?' box at the end.

• Wow

VC10

VIP Member
Harsh but true. If an artist wants to sell sex, then they need to be conventionally attractive. And Sam isn’t even particularly unattractive - his outfits are.

Sam’s problem is being captured by a cult that seems to think being “femme” = being fuckable. Which is presumably why he’s styled in this grotesque parody of a burlesque outfit. I mean it’s just foul 🤣 Was everyone on set really yaaas queening when he stepped out?

View attachment 1921923
Gemma Collins 😃😃

• Haha