Gender Discussion #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Common sense prevails eventually. Hopefully this will put a stop to putting men into female prisons, as any men who might think about transitioning just to get into such places will realise it's unlikely to work.

On the subject regarding work colleagues trying to trip others up - I have always adopted a "no political or religious discussions at work" policy and that was long before all this kicked off. After all, it's almost certainly going to lead to arguments of some kind and just isn't relevant to my job. Someone once outright asked me who I'd voted for at a general election, which shocked me as it was so nosy! I just politely declined to answer and the conversation was over.
I use my Dad's favourite reply "that's between me and the ballot box"

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I am sceptical. She's said they won't be incarcerated in Cornton Vale - well, no one will be there shortly, it's due to close in a few months, be knocked down, and a new women's prison built on the same site. The current inmates are all being moved to HMP Stirling. Will Isla go to Stirling with the women or actually be put in the male estate? Until we have an answer to that I'm not convinced this isn't just weasel words.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
I use my Dad's favourite reply "that's between me and the ballot box"
Haha yes I think I said something very similar! She initially seemed a bit taken aback at my refusal to answer - but then I think the penny dropped and she realised she'd crossed a line.

I think some people think that - because you make small talk with colleagues - you're friendlier than you actually are. I view all my colleagues as acquaintances rather than friends.

Reactions: 20
Wouldn't put it past them to quietly transfer him back to womens prison in a year when all focus on him has died out. I am a full sceptic these days. However, for today, this is a victory, and hopefully peaked some people.
Apparently Cornton Vale prison is undergoing refurbishment soon, so no-one will be serving their time there. I can't help thinking that NS and her handmaidens are being a bit weaselly with their statements anyway, declaring that this male rapist won't be housed in an "all-female prison", doesn't mean that he won't be sent to the women's wing of a mixed prison. I do hope that the press keep an eye on this story, I can't help but be suspicious that we're being fobbed off in the hope that we'll eventually just shut up and go away. 😡

Reactions: 15
Something's kicking off - the writer who was meant to write how JKR is a transphobe and couldn't find the evidence? She's now going for KJK and KJ's family...

Weetman's screenshots from thread comments here:

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Is he still under probation? All of you get together & complain to H.R. ( being careful , of course, how you all come across)
Unfortunately not.

It’s a difficult one because I think if we were to write down every instance, it could possibly look petty and be easily dismissed. For example, he’ll start talking loudly about Sam Smith and 60 year old Mary could say “Oh he has a lovely voice” and he’ll hiss at her that it’s “they” not “he”. But he does things like all the time and scans the office patiently waiting for someone to slip up.

I’ve also got my suspicions that he writes down things we say. Some of us were discussing why we think a lot of kids say they’re trans/NB (quietly and in a different pod) and he started banging on his keyboard and slamming his drawers. If he is, then it wouldn’t surprise me if HR took his side. I honestly think just not engaging when he’s trying to provoke is the best way to deal with it.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
Unfortunately not.

It’s a difficult one because I think if we were to write down every instance, it could possibly look petty and be easily dismissed. For example, he’ll start talking loudly about Sam Smith and 60 year old Mary could say “Oh he has a lovely voice” and he’ll hiss at her that it’s “they” not “he”. But he does things like all the time and scans the office patiently waiting for someone to slip up.

I’ve also got my suspicions that he writes down things we say. Some of us were discussing why we think a lot of kids say they’re trans/NB (quietly and in a different pod) and he started banging on his keyboard and slamming his drawers. If he is, then it wouldn’t surprise me if HR took his side. I honestly think just not engaging when he’s trying to provoke is the best way to deal with it.
Ugh he sounds like a complete tool.
I would advise you to keep a note of instances like the one you've described though. It sounds very petty but you never know when a pile of gathered evidence might prove useful, especially if you think that he is keeping a little log of transgressions.

---

Also why is he banging on about Sam Smith?
If he corrected me with 'must say they' I would respond with 'twit and Twatter should be his pronouns' 😄
It's not obligatory to like Sam Smith now is it?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Unfortunately not.

I sympathise with you all having to put up with this pain in the arse. It does make me wonder what is the legal position on all of this?
If 2x colleagues are having a conversation, not connected to work, are they not permitted to say something factual? Eg Sam Smith is male or TIM's are still men, or biological men should not be housed in female prisons?
Would HR deem this as an transphobic - a conversation, to a colleague, discussing facts with no intention to offend anyone? 🤔

Reactions: 14
I can't understand why anyone would be obsessed with correcting people over pronouns. After all Sam Smith is not a work colleague or likely to ever be one. It has no effect on him how two people having a private conversation label him as he'll never know. Perhaps you could point this out to your colleague.

Reactions: 16
I can't understand why anyone would be obsessed with correcting people over pronouns. After all Sam Smith is not a work colleague or likely to ever be one. It has no effect on him how two people having a private conversation label him as he'll never know. Perhaps you could point this out to your colleague.
Well quite.
Frankly if Sam Smith heard half the things he’s been called he’d have a lot more to be offended about than his bloody pronouns.

• Haha
I am sceptical. She's said they won't be incarcerated in Cornton Vale - well, no one will be there shortly, it's due to close in a few months, be knocked down, and a new women's prison built on the same site. The current inmates are all being moved to HMP Stirling. Will Isla go to Stirling with the women or actually be put in the male estate? Until we have an answer to that I'm not convinced this isn't just weasel words.
There are woman in different jails in Scotland - Greenock is one with Grampian being another one. The reason for this is that Cornton Vale was not suitable many years ago and it had been decided to move some to other estates so that it was easier for family to visit. So unless this bloke is sent somewhere like Shotts we can never be sure where he is being housed.

Reactions: 7
Ugh he sounds like a complete tool.
I would advise you to keep a note of instances like the one you've described though. It sounds very petty but you never know when a pile of gathered evidence might prove useful, especially if you think that he is keeping a little log of transgressions.

---

Also why is he banging on about Sam Smith?
If he corrected me with 'must say they' I would respond with 'twit and Twatter should be his pronouns' 😄
It's not obligatory to like Sam Smith now is it?
It’s just an excuse to try and catch people out. He’ll randomly bring up someone like Sam Smith but not talk about the fact they’re NB or trans (I like x song by Sam Smith etc) and someone, usually one of the older women, will say oh yes I love his voice, totally innocently, and he’ll immediately jump down their throat because they’ve said “his” or “he”. It’s just one example of how he deliberately tries to provoke people into saying “the wrong thing”. He’s the type of person I thought only existed online if you get what I mean. He speaks exactly like the crazies on Twitter (and Tumblr back in the day if anyone remembers that shitshow 😂) but in real life.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
It’s just an excuse to try and catch people out. He’ll randomly bring up someone like Sam Smith but not talk about the fact they’re NB or trans (I like x song by Sam Smith etc) and someone, usually one of the older women, will say oh yes I love his voice, totally innocently, and he’ll immediately jump down their throat because they’ve said “his” or “he”. It’s just one example of how he deliberately tries to provoke people into saying “the wrong thing”. He’s the type of person I thought only existed online if you get what I mean. He speaks exactly like the crazies on Twitter (and Tumblr back in the day if anyone remembers that shitshow 😂) but in real life.
Keep him at arms length, and if he interacts with you regarding this issue , make a note of it.
If, in the future, a tit-show blows up you can produce the notes and cover your own back.
After all, he's ONLY a work colleague at the end of the day. You go to work for your firm to pay you wages for your services, not to be besties with every other employee - especially one who will- I guarantee it- will at some point take it further, hence keeping a note whenever he interacts with you personally on this issue.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The trouble is we live in such a woke world, and there are so so many issues that I want to stand up for, its hard to stand up for things we actually believe in. Without getting myself incredibly depressed and disillusioned!!

I am heartened by the fact that I think if people really think or know about gender issues, then the majority would stand up for common sense and admit that there are actual 2 separate sexes. But at the moment there is just so much ...mis information around.

This scottish rapist idiot, sounds mentally and emotionally unstable, which is why to some extent people are trying to be kind to him, but......I have no idea how or why putting him into a womens prison, and putting other women at risk of emotional harm is meant to help anyone.
We don't like in a woke world at all. We have woke media and woke politicians. The world we live in is not woke. We all know what we are looking at when we see a TiM.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
We don't like in a woke world at all. We have woke media and woke politicians. The world we live in is not woke. We all know what we are looking at when we see a TiM.
Im in full agreement! I am live & let live. My views are only ( like everyone elses) personal ones, of duck-all importance to anyone else . But I won't be told how to , or how not to , think, say, do, act, refer to , by others who think they are somehow better than me/ in the right/ more important in their views and opinions/ or whatever.
Don't try to holier-than-thou me, over how I may be,or may not be, living my life.

duck off.
Stick it up your arse.
And if they don't like it- tough tittie.
Life's a witch.

If people minded their own business a little bit more & stopped trying to inflict tit on other people's already hectic / worrying/ stress/ grieving/ hard/ lives, then perhaps we'd all rub along a little bit better

• Heart
I've said something similar recently (maybe not on this thread), but I think it depends how the word 'woke' is defined. Like most terms, there's no one agreed definition; it seems to vary depending on who uses it.

When it's used in this thread, it usually refers to the stuff that verges on silly/dangerous - ie this recent case where a former male rapist was going to be put into a female prison.

But those on the far right often use it to describe political positions such as being pro-choice, pro anti racism legislation, pro same sex marriage, etc. While moderate people wouldn't include positions like that in their woke definition, the fact remains that plenty do.

And then there are people that just don't understand the term at all. I remember my Dad asking me a few years ago, as despite being a regular reader of newspapers, he kept coming across the term but had no real idea what it actually meant. Believe it or not, it started as a compliment, but has almost exclusively shifted to being seen as a pejorative nowadays.

That's why I dislike buzzwords as they're just not meaningful in driving forward conversations. I find they get latched onto -- especially in social media -- but are used so widely it's hard to pinpoint what people actually mean by it.

---

Something's kicking off - the writer who was meant to write how JKR is a transphobe and couldn't find the evidence? She's now going for KJK and KJ's family...

Weetman's screenshots from thread comments here:

Looks like she's working on her next article.

If what she says is true, then obviously it's a bit weird, but threatening to post photos of anyone's children is unhinged. Looks like she's since walked that back, but it's still odd and actually ruins any point she was trying to make.

Last edited:
Good poem, that photo puts me off (not that I buy Burberry anyway). Do Burberry seriously think that their client base is transgender or mutilated women?
Given that it's a high end brand I would have thought their clients would be older women with a good income. An advert like that is not going to appeal to them.

Maybe next time that he tries to instigate or join in a conversation, you should all make a show of getting your phones out, and one of you can then say to him "You don't mind if we record this conversation, do you? We like to be able to educate ourselves later in case of any accidental wrongspeak". 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.