Gender Discussion #36

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is the Twitter employee - one of the people who banned women who asserted their biological rights - coincidence that women were banned while violent males had free rein on the platform?

Looks bleeping deranged.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
One of the things I think Scotland does do right (and we all know they're not great with Women's rights at the moment!) is that free sanitary items are available in women's bathrooms in schools and universities.

Exactly! Well said Ekathrina!
It was Monica Lennon (Labour MSP) who pushed for the period poverty bill. Sturgeon took all the credit of course.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Anyone see the article today in the guardian about pronouns? I couldn't get through it but it was as ridiculous as you can imagine

Reactions: 3
Anyone see the article today in the guardian about pronouns? I couldn't get through it but it was as ridiculous as you can imagine
I couldn't get through it either - but she failed to mention that Virgin's "rather elegant pronoun badges" are not allowed in the Middle East - trans staff cannot fly ME routes.

And they probably had to compensate for this article, which must have had Owen Jones spitting feathers :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 7
Is this a common thing that female to male transitioners don’t use mens toilets? Most I’ve watched talking online have said they do. Can anyone recommend any more transgender online voices for me to engage with that align with transgender people you find, what’s the word, acceptable to you?

Pretty sure I’ve shown respect across the board, I think people seem to think disagreeing with you is disrespectful. A lot of other women hold the views I’ve come to as well. And I would see the poster as a she. You guys are the ones with the warped sense of being ok with what she says because she sides somewhat with you yet if you saw her on the street and knew nothing about her you’d hold a different view.

The only actions I don’t respect are when people just throw trans people into this thread and it’s the existence itself that seems to be annoying them rather than anything they are saying. Like the twitter employee above. That just displays a belittling and hatred, or a phobia rather than actually what a lot of people in here hold which is just concerns.
I don't agree with much of what he says. I think if he is using women's spaces, thinks that people ought to call him 'she', thinks that dresses and cosmetic surgery counts as living 'as a woman' then I don't actually think that's appropriate. The simple fact of not being a fetishist or not being outright aggressive shouldn't be cause for applause. I don't see the difference between what he has spent his life doing and Rachel Dolzejal.

(To be clear, I'm sympathetic to Dolzejal, she is an abused woman whose traumatic childhood seems to have resulted in the development of a maladaptive coping mechanism of a false black identity. But I don't think validating her belief is fair on black people and I don't think it's even healthy for her. What she needs is some really intensive therapy.)

Similarly, while I can feel sympathy for the fact tat @Jayceedove has a mental health condition, it doesn't mean that I think playing pretend is good for him or fair on women. The problem that Jaycee has is that when society hadn't really questioned the ideology, he could live a life where most people would pretend. Overtly toxic people in the trans community will now bring the ideology under question and people who never really questioned misogynistic concepts like 'living as a woman' or 'feel like a woman' will peak and they won't put up with the charade anymore.

Woman is not a feeling. A woman is not a castrated man. Being a woman is not pink and flowers, it's not make up, it's not a mentality.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Oh I think @Jayceedove is exactly whoever they want to be! I like Jayceedove's contributions to the thread. I think they do really add extra context to the discussion.

But so too do so many other posters.

Has there been any further updates to the Brighton 'case' against Kellie JK?

‘It’s complicated – but you can’t shy away from it’: everything you wanted to know about pronouns (but were afraid to ask) | Gender | The Guardian

I read this.......but......still feel that language is meant to simplify things, to clarify things- and that complicating pronouns just adds unnecessary complication and barriers to communication and understanding! And the trouble is, of course people will shy away from it- because it is so complicated to explain or follow!

I am glad I am too old to bother about being asked to clarify my own pronouns!

Years and years ago, there were attempts to simplify the English language, to make it simple, clear and easy to read, particularly in documentation from councils or the government.

I so so wish this simplification existed today. I was checking something on a government website the other day, and got so confused. I think it was how to take animals abroad, I still have no idea of where to start! Then I was trying to understand something about applying for car parking permits online, and it made no sense!
So much information and forms nowadays are online, so people try to cover every single eventuality, which can be extremely confusing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
I’m just thinking aloud so I might be wrong, but does it need to be combatted? Heterosexuality is the “norm” because it’s predominant. Similarly, most people are right handed; do we need infographics on combatting right handedness?

Reactions: 31
When is tatttlw getting the eye role emoji?! Also some of this is just standard anyway surely? I refer to anyone's long term bf or gf as partner (when they're not married) gf or bf just seems less serious to me, obviously just my opinion but either way I wouldn't care
I’m talking about the “assuming pronouns” actually. Im rolling my eyes at that. 😭

Reactions: 6
I’m just thinking aloud so I might be wrong, but does it need to be combatted? Heterosexuality is the “norm” because it’s predominant. Similarly, most people are right handed; do we need infographics on combatting right handedness?
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if people om tiktok started to force themselves to be lefthanded to claim another form of prejudice

• Haha
Reactions: 19
When is tatttlw getting the eye role emoji?! Also some of this is just standard anyway surely? I refer to anyone's long term bf or gf as partner (when they're not married) gf or bf just seems less serious to me, obviously just my opinion but either way I wouldn't care
One of my favourite comedians is a gay man who has a joke that it’s gaslighting when straight people use the word “partner” to refer to their bf/gf 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Who is he?
Patrick Regan. He does another bit about straight appropriation of gay haircuts and I think he would be on the gender critical side but is quite openly terrified of saying the wrong thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I think "combatting" is a strong word, but I like the ethos behind not assuming sexual orientation.

I don't like that graphic, as heteronormativity to me is sexuality based - nothing to do with non-binary etc. Speaking as someone who's gay, I find it a bit awkward when someone who isn't aware of my sexuality just assumes my partner is the opposite sex to me.

I don't get offended or tell anyone off, but in the past before when people have asked me if I've got a girlfriend, I feel kind of bad saying "no, but I've got a boyfriend". They usually look a bit like "oh tit I've put my foot in it" when I think it's so easily avoided if you wait for a person to confirm things. That's what I do anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.