Gender Discussion #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It sounds like the university has had a ‘formal’ as in written complaint and has to investigate. Which they do - to be fair. And they have told him about it. Hopefully they will review it, see it’s without cause and reject it. It’s frustrating but universities have to go through a process. It would be nice if students could learn they don’t have to read things they don’t like on Twitter - and that people in the real world will not always agree with them. It’s not teaching them life skills.

Reactions: 12
Obviously not good for the guy involved but when he references the fact 53% (think that was the figure) of woman in prison have been subject to abuse/violence at the hands of a man therefore it should be single sex. Would like to see the usual talking heads being asked about that and trying to argue against his viewpoint which is based upon research.
And the statistics about the number of trans 'women' prisoners who are inside for sex offences is alarming.

Meanwhile the number of women in prison for sex crimes is miniscule.

Reactions: 11
Obviously not good for the guy involved but when he references the fact 53% (think that was the figure) of woman in prison have been subject to abuse/violence at the hands of a man therefore it should be single sex. Would like to see the usual talking heads being asked about that and trying to argue against his viewpoint which is based upon research.
They'll tell the abused women to "reframe their trauma" along the lines of the Glasgow rape crisis centre.

• Sick
Reactions: 8
Is anyone else watching Screw on Channel 4? It’s on at the moment. The moment the prisoner I’m talking about appeared on screen and talking about being bullied in (a mens) prison, I could tell they were female instead of male straight away. And surprise, the “twist” in the plot, was that the officers were informed this man was actually born a woman.

I’m not sure how many TV people think these so-called plot twists work to regular audiences. I remember an episode of First Dates and as soon as a man appeared on the screen I said to myself “that’s a woman” and sure enough, there was a cliffhanger at the end of the ad break, saying the date need to be told something really important and lo and behold, the “secret” was that the date was born female.

EDIT: since writing the above, I googled the character and found out that the actor set history as being the first trans male actor in Eastenders. I don’t watch it, and didn’t know this. It was just obvious to me seeing it on screen. I just find it jarring that we are being bombarded with messages like it doesn’t matter, and people can’t tell, and what does it matter what genitals people have because you never really know, when it’s PLAINLY obvious to people with sight and hearing.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
The And Just Like That storyline with Miranda falling for a "non-binary" person is beyond insulting. They clearly felt that her being a lesbian wasn't good enough so she has to be "queer" and get with a woman that wants to pretend she's not a woman.
Such a ridiculous storyline. Yes people do come out in later life but I feel like if Miranda was a lesbian, there would have been a hint of it on the original show. In fact, she was mistaken for a lesbian and there was a whole storyline around it.

And yeah, don’t get me started on the fact they have to use ‘queer’ in everything now. As a bi woman who has been insulted by this word, I hate it. Couldn’t watch the new L Word Generation Q or whatever it’s called.

Reactions: 17
Such a ridiculous storyline. Yes people do come out in later life but I feel like if Miranda was a lesbian, there would have been a hint of it on the original show. In fact, she was mistaken for a lesbian and there was a whole storyline around it.

And yeah, don’t get me started on the fact they have to use ‘queer’ in everything now. As a bi woman who has been insulted by this word, I hate it. Couldn’t watch the new L Word Generation Q or whatever it’s called.
I said this on the AJLT thread, the whole point of it is to push queer theory. There’s nothing subtle about it. They are screaming it at us like they are blue haired TRAs.

Same girl same. I've seen people say "well gay was used as an insult too, why is that okay but queer isn't?" and for me it's the fact nobody I care about has ever used gay as an insult, whereas I've had queer used about me and to me. I don't like it and I don't like that people just assume they can use it about me. Use bi, use gay if you must I'm not arsed, but I hate that ~the community~ has just decided we all use queer now.

On the subject of non binary romances, I'm actually fuming that my favourite character on Grey's Anatomy has just snogged a non binary character. She's been hinted at as being bi going back years but rather than give her a female love interest, they've given her the PC attention-seeking, headline-grabbing kiss with a non-woman.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I said this on the AJLT thread, the whole point of it is to push queer theory. There’s nothing subtle about it. They are screaming it at us like they are blue haired TRAs.
Queer theory AND a very poor attempt at anti-racism. I'm not white but I'm also not African-American, South Asian, or Latina so I can't speak for any of those groups, however it just comes across as a "some of my friends are X" thus they're still defined in relation to the white characters. You can treat them as normal people and still acknowledge their culture, heritage, and individual struggles

EDIT: since writing the above, I googled the character and found out that the actor set history as being the first trans male actor in Eastenders. I don’t watch it, and didn’t know this. It was just obvious to me seeing it on screen. I just find it jarring that we are being bombarded with messages like it doesn’t matter, and people can’t tell, and what does it matter what genitals people have because you never really know, when it’s PLAINLY obvious to people with sight and hearing.
That's the case, the actor was the first trans male character on EastEnders and ... you guessed it ... his entire storyline revolved around being trans. Likely why the character didn't last and vanished about a year later. (For comparison, around the same time, Hollyoaks introduced Sally St Claire who was a transwoman and played by a trans actor. She's still around in large part because the show actually bothered to develop her as a character in other ways. Other soaps have also had trans characters last longer because it wasn't the main focus of their character)

E646E20D-DB9A-4D92-850D-CF30D6D56599.jpeg
What woman or girl lays in bed each night wearing lingerie, jewellery and perfume and squeal like a little girl all to reassure themselves they’re female? Most women have a wash and put on pyjamas or comfy clothes before bed. Typical AGP fantasy. Next they’re gonna say they had a sleepover and had a pillow fight with down feathers flying everywhere.

Also, what is it with trans identified males never calling themselves women they always have to say they’re a girl? bleeping freaks.

• Sick
Reactions: 36
If squeaking like a piglet why not say I’m a piglet! Makes as much sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Same girl same. I've seen people say "well gay was used as an insult too, why is that okay but queer isn't?" and for me it's the fact nobody I care about has ever used gay as an insult, whereas I've had queer used about me and to me. I don't like it and I don't like that people just assume they can use it about me. Use bi, use gay if you must I'm not arsed, but I hate that ~the community~ has just decided we all use queer now.

On the subject of non binary romances, I'm actually fuming that my favourite character on Grey's Anatomy has just snogged a non binary character. She's been hinted at as being bi going back years but rather than give her a female love interest, they've given her the PC attention-seeking, headline-grabbing kiss with a non-woman.
I've spent a lot of lockdown (re)watching Greys + Private Practice + Station 19, and I think there's a fascinating timeline there of liberal ideas about trans (including an excruciating Private Practice episode which uses the 'born in the wrong body' argument which there's been so much backpedalling about and you can really see why people would want to disown it). I think there are a lot of problems with the Season 18 of Grey's and it makes me sad, but one of the biggest is that the actor playing Kai has marginally less animation and magnetism than the Giant Robot Hand, and that their habit of mumbling pronouns as part of introducing anyone to anyone else is both profoundly irritating and profoundly WTF. It's horrible seeing lovely Amelia having to overact INSTANT! ATTRACTION! to such a grey blur, but I'm comforting myself with the belief that with the best of intentions the show is demonstrating how rubbish this cult is. (Apologies for the essay!)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
All is well with the world….let us tell you about femininity and who better but the Bergdoff. So settle in and listen woman!!!. That is just irony btw and it’s great a quick scan of the comments are all negative. The person is a complete idiot and if you want an idea look up the Andrew Neil discussion show she was on

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
Not related to trans people but relevant to gender discussion: I absolutely hate it when women complain that they "don't feel like a woman" because husband is no longer interested or something. Sexual attention from men is not what makes a woman (OK, maybe it IS relevant to TRA discussion.) Please, please have some self-respect - I know it's hard but we as a society shouldn't be encouraging this

• Heart
Reactions: 18
All is well with the world….let us tell you about femininity and who better but the Bergdoff. So settle in and listen woman!!!. That is just irony btw and it’s great a quick scan of the comments are all negative. The person is a complete idiot and if you want an idea look up the Andrew Neil discussion show she was on

Munroe Bergdorf, the one who told women at the women’s march not to talk about their reproductive organs as it alienates the trans 😵💫😵💫😵💫 she can get tae f**k

• Angry
Reactions: 17
I watched Encanto the other day (good film!) and went to listen to the soundtrack on Apple Music. Germaine Franco, the female composer, has been listed as “female identifying”. SHE IS FEMALE!!

No mention of how Lin-Manuel Miranda identifies of course.

F22AD621-6E6C-4835-8D5B-7E896A6AF974.jpeg

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 18
My uncle was "gay bashed" in early 2000s - he was beaten up so badly was hospitalised and even back then the ones that did it, all grown men hanging around gay clubs to find a lone victim, got prison. He said the one thing they kept calling him was "queer" and he will never see that as anything but a slur.

• Sad
Reactions: 19

All the money, plastic surgery and clever photography in the world and you can still clock that something is "off".

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.