Gender Discussion #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's increasingly unhelpful to even speak about 'LGBT' as one group tbh. The T basically wants to abolish LGB and won't accept same sex attraction is a thing. It's also unhelpful running the two together when talking about stuff like conversion therapy. Most sensible people don't agree with conversion therapy for LGB people, but 'conversion therapy' in the sense the T are talking about is literally just providing therapy for kids who say they're trans to see if they can be helped to be happy in their own bodies. It is a nonsense to consider these two things to be the same. In my opinion the T piggybacks on LGB language and causes for their own gain whilst simultaneously throwing those people under the bus.
Absolutely this.

In Abigail Shrier's book, one quote really stuck out at me (paraphrasing her as I don't have it to hand). LGB people want to be accepted for who they are. Trans people want to be accepted for who they are not.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Funnily enough it isn't the feelings of sex offenders I'm bothered about.

The Board, which primarily mandates treatment standards, voted 10-6 on Friday to advance a controversial proposal to replace “sex offender” with “adults who commit sexual offenses.”

On the move, Public Defender Kathy Heffron said "I think this strikes a balance that honors the impact to victims and recognizes the current and ongoing impacts of sexual assault but also avoids the labeling term that has negative impacts on those who commit sex offenses.”

This terminology change comes just as a Colorado task force involved in sentencing reform is actively considering asking the legislature to revise terms such as “defendant,” “convict,” and “felon” to the more neutral “justice-involved people.”

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
Jesus bleeping Christ, the constant bastardisation of language to obscure reality.

Personally I'd prefer "men who commit sex offences" but what do I know?

Reactions: 9
I've said right from the start, paedophiles have piggybacked on this latest failure of safeguarding to further their cause of being accepted in the mainstream. It's a slow drip-drip but it's happening. Once again, gay people have to suffer being tarred with the same brush as perverts and n o n c e s. It's a bleeping disgrace. Stonewall should be closed down.

Reactions: 14
I wish people would get it into their thick skulls heads that the LGB Alliance is not transphobic. It's just catering to the needs of the LGB section of LGBTQ+. There are plenty of trans charities that don't cater to the LGB.

Imagine there was a horse & donkey charity. It started devoting all of its campaigning to the welfare of beach-ride donkeys. So some horse-focused people set up an organisation just for horses. That wouldn't be donkey phobic. A clumsy analogy perhaps, but there we have it.
Imagine we went back 10-15 years when Stonewall did not include trans people

Reactions: 5
Imagine we went back 10-15 years when Stonewall did not include trans people
Stonewall 2012: Some People Are Gay. Get Over It
Stonewall 2021: Some People Are Gay. They Need to Get Over It and Stop Being Same Sex Attracted Bigots

Reactions: 14
We had an anti conversion therapy talk at work today - part of inclusion I guess. Voluntary so I didn’t take part. 1. I’m busy
2. I don’t agree with conversion therapy already so I don’t need education on that. I think the trans lobby want to ban anyone interfering in the medicalisation of kids. This is not the same as trying to make someone not gay.

Reactions: 8
It's so easy to claim you're bisexual when you're married to a man and have never been with a woman. It's always about woke points. I think women who do so want to show they're something more than an average, straight married woman. But there's nothing wrong with that at all!

Actual lesbian and bisexual women don't tend to shout about it. We just get on with it. I too have an acquaintance who "came out" as bisexual a couple of years ago, in her late 20s and with the same guy since university and married to him. Part of me thinks whatever, you do you love, but I know its all BS and an easy way for her to claim she's part of a minority. She's from a very comfortable middle class family, privately educated and all that, and again that's not an issue at all BUT these types are so desperate to be part of something they're not.
Pure and utter attention seeking. Also if you're married to a man why do you need to come out as bisexual? It seems a bit like being a meat eater and coming out as vegetarian

Pure and utter attention seeking. Also if you're married to a man why do you need to come out as bisexual? It seems a bit like being a meat eater and coming out as vegetarian
And it kind of makes it appear that the current relationship is temporary.

Definitely. If you are not defining your dating preferences to a (hopefully) eager prospective date or dates, it’s really no one’s business and no one gives a tit. If you have to be defined by your relationship it should be the one you are in at that moment.

Reactions: 3
We had an anti conversion therapy talk at work today - part of inclusion I guess. Voluntary so I didn’t take part. 1. I’m busy
2. I don’t agree with conversion therapy already so I don’t need education on that. I think the trans lobby want to ban anyone interfering in the medicalisation of kids. This is not the same as trying to make someone not gay.
are there so many people that agree with conversion therapy that you need training on why it is bad?! (obviously I have no idea where or in what industry you work... but there are so many more issues that people don't know about that deserve training (imo) like gender based violence/discrimination of various kinds...

Reactions: 1
are there so many people that agree with conversion therapy that you need training on why it is bad?! (obviously I have no idea where or in what industry you work... but there are so many more issues that people don't know about that deserve training (imo) like gender based violence/discrimination of various kinds...
Yeah - really weird. It’s a pretty right on and progressive firm so I don’t think it’s full of howling bigots.

Reactions: 3
It seems it's not just young people who have been influenced by the 'straight, boring, married' narrative. I've heard of women who claim to be bisexual but 'coming out' while married takes the biscuit! Also a friend casually dropped it into the conversation that he was bisexual, in the 20 odd years I've known him I've never known him to be with a man and he has always had serious girlfriends. He's even living with a woman now. Gay people must want to roll their eyes at straight tourists, I certainly do

Reactions: 5
I am a bisexual woman in a heterosexual relationship - I am not queer/ do not call myself that/ my relationship is 100% heterosexual and not queer. I don't understand "coming out" as bi on social media when in a long term relationship with someone of the opposite sex (mainly because I don't really do social media other than as a way to see cute animals) but I do get saying you're bi when you're in a heterosexual relationship just as additional context.

This is not a thing I make a big deal about, but when I talk about having a crush on a female celebrity I want people to know that this isn't a "girlcrush" but it is a "I am sexually attracted to this woman" kind of crush. (Rosamond Pike was one of my earliest crushes and so with her new show this has been on my mind recently - I definitely don't talk about this all the time).

And also when I was (trying/ unsuccessfully) to date women, that was part of my life, it's easier to say, casually, "As a bisexual woman, this was my experience on dating apps etc". It just situates me, the same way saying I'm from this city and my parents are from these places. It's just a fact about my life. But like any information about you, not everyone in my life knows it, nor do they need to. I have really good friends where it's just never come up, and not from a "this is a deep dark secret" way but just we've never talked about it and they don't need to know-we don't talk about dating or crushes, we just don't have those relationships.

But even while being bisexual, I am 100% not queer and would never/ have never claimed to be.

Reactions: 11
Ok I’m on the strictly thread - and someone mentioned David Paisley from Holby and I thought isn’t he that arse that has the police on speed dial for hurty feelings? Apparently he is pretty ?! And also outed Joe McFadden (from Strictly so there is the link) as gay on Twitter but deleted it but then told everyone why he had deleted it. And this was years ago - so yes always a prick on Twitter.

Reactions: 6
But what if I want people to acknowledge that I eat vegetables and enjoy some completely meat-free meals quite often? I need to know that my vegetarianism is valid even though I’m having a cottage pie for dinner tonight.

(Please note that nothing about my post was euphemistic 🤣)

• Haha
It seems it's not just young people who have been influenced by the 'straight, boring, married' narrative. I've heard of women who claim to be bisexual but 'coming out' while married takes the biscuit! Also a friend casually dropped it into the conversation that he was bisexual, in the 20 odd years I've known him I've never known him to be with a man and he has always had serious girlfriends. He's even living with a woman now. Gay people must want to roll their eyes at straight tourists, I certainly do
I think coming out while married is a pretty strong indication you are about to leave your husband/wife for someone of the same sex :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think coming out while married is a pretty strong indication you are about to leave your husband/wife for someone of the same sex :ROFLMAO:
Personally I think it's a pretty strong indication of attention seeking!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I am a bisexual woman in a heterosexual relationship - I am not queer/ do not call myself that/ my relationship is 100% heterosexual and not queer. I don't understand "coming out" as bi on social media when in a long term relationship with someone of the opposite sex (mainly because I don't really do social media other than as a way to see cute animals) but I do get saying you're bi when you're in a heterosexual relationship just as additional context.

This is not a thing I make a big deal about, but when I talk about having a crush on a female celebrity I want people to know that this isn't a "girlcrush" but it is a "I am sexually attracted to this woman" kind of crush. (Rosamond Pike was one of my earliest crushes and so with her new show this has been on my mind recently - I definitely don't talk about this all the time).

And also when I was (trying/ unsuccessfully) to date women, that was part of my life, it's easier to say, casually, "As a bisexual woman, this was my experience on dating apps etc". It just situates me, the same way saying I'm from this city and my parents are from these places. It's just a fact about my life. But like any information about you, not everyone in my life knows it, nor do they need to. I have really good friends where it's just never come up, and not from a "this is a deep dark secret" way but just we've never talked about it and they don't need to know-we don't talk about dating or crushes, we just don't have those relationships.

But even while being bisexual, I am 100% not queer and would never/ have never claimed to be.
Yup, I have absolutely zero issue with people in opposite-sex relationships saying that they're bisexual. They are bisexual, the same way that bisexual virgins are bisexual. The whole straight women saying 'My boyfriend is non-binary and has long hair and therefore I'm a queer woman' stuff can get in the sea but sexual orientation is still a part of someone's life, even if they don't/haven't actively had sex with someone.

Plus, in the cases of a lot of older women it may have been a part of their life that they didn't feel safe exploring when they were younger because of family/religion/society and eventually met a guy they loved and settled down. But it's still a part of them.

No one is saying you can't be bisexual in a straight relationship, it's more about the very specific type who claim it for attention seeking reasons!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.