Gender Discussion #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was glad to see some push back in the comments. Of all the trans rubbish, non binary is the most bullshit. I think we should all just announce we are non binary, after all I'm not defined by the stereotypes of the female gender so maybe I am non binary? Wonder what the reaction would be if everyone who wasn't stereotypically their gender did it, cause I'm sure it would be a very high percentage......

Reactions: 19
I honestly think non-binary is way above my pay grade... I dont understand it, I dont want to understand it, I dont care what anyone does with or without their genitals as long as they dont hurt people/animals/unicorns etc. But the TRAs actively WANT to hurt women, and I'm not OK with that.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I honestly think non-binary is way above my pay grade... I dont understand it, I dont want to understand it, I dont care what anyone does with or without their genitals as long as they dont hurt people/animals/unicorns etc. But the TRAs actively WANT to hurt women, and I'm not OK with that.
Honestly I really think that its just fashionable to be gender non conforming which is fine in itself, but these days everyone has to validate themselves with a label. Then they can use that label to claim some sort of oppression.
Twitter seems to be full of people competing to claim they are the most victimised group 🙄

Reactions: 16
Probably a bit off topic - but has anyone here ever been come onto by a man, and when you say no you’re now suddenly fat and ugly? But a second ago you weren’t fat and ugly.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I can believe that some people feel dysphoria with their bodies and think things like 'I wish I had a female body' but objectively speaking non binary as a concept is a load of rubbish. I can't see any merit or sense to it. It seems to be those who at best present themselves in a more androgynous manner and want a medal for it (as if people haven't been doing that for donkey's years at this point) and at worst, don't change how they present themselves at all, but want to be perceived as 'special' or 'different.' It's pure attention seeking. And I think it actually does a disservice to genuine trans people for them to be lumped together with a bunch of teenagers with undercuts tbh.

Reactions: 20
Probably a bit off topic - but has anyone here ever been come onto by a man, and when you say no you’re now suddenly fat and ugly? But a second ago you weren’t fat and ugly.
Probably every single woman. Nothing will ever be as fragile as a man's ego.

The non-binary thing is such BS. If someone is non-binary, that's GC people. Because we don't believe in being defined by the gender stereotypes that oppress us. But for this lot, it's just an excuse to pretend to be special and to duck with people.

I was reading a book today about women in horror movies and thought it was super interesting. One of the chapters was about diversity and how to portray women that aren't heterosexual in horror movies. Brief mention of the fact that lesbians and bisexual women exist followed by an interview with a transwoman. So, 99% of the article was about trans. Ok, cool. Not erasing women at all.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Of course. It is schroedingers woman - simultaneously desirable ugly hot babe witch.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
What’s your thoughts on ‘gender is a construct’? It’s something I’ve always agreed with, as in theres no such thing as male/female clothes, ways of behaving etc. But there’s a definite difference in biological sex (obviously lol). So if a boy loves pink and playing with dolls that doesn’t mean he’s a girl. It doesn’t mean anything. So this would be something trans people wouldn’t agree with? Trans people would say gender is not a construct?? Confusing thing is I’ve seen some trans folk on insta saying it is. I dunno, I feel I’m rambling here but is ‘gender is a construct’ a GC view?

Reactions: 10
What’s your thoughts on ‘gender is a construct’? It’s something I’ve always agreed with, as in theres no such thing as male/female clothes, ways of behaving etc. But there’s a definite difference in biological sex (obviously lol). So if a boy loves pink and playing with dolls that doesn’t mean he’s a girl. It doesn’t mean anything. So this would be something trans people wouldn’t agree with? Trans people would say gender is not a construct?? Confusing thing is I’ve seen some trans folk on insta saying it is. I dunno, I feel I’m rambling here but is ‘gender is a construct’ a GC view?
I think 'gender is a construct' is a gender critical view yes. Saying gender is a construct draws a distinction between that which is a theory (gender) and that which is a fact (sex). Gender is generally what holds us back - for example, there's no biological basis to the idea that e.g. women are not as good at STEM subjects, but there is a gender norm that mainly men will have careers in STEM related fields. Obviously there are other ways sex disadvantages you, so things like not giving you a job because you're pregnant. But being disadvantaged because you are female is unlawful, whereas it's much harder to tackle the implicit and often invisible ways that gender norms disadvantage us because that's about attitudes and values rather than biological facts.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Gender is a construct in the girls wear pink boys wear blue way. If there is a way men and women could interact differently socially, and do in other cultures, then what we have is a construct. However, biological sex is real.
Also

Reactions: 10
I think 'gender is a construct' is a gender critical view yes. Saying gender is a construct draws a distinction between that which is a theory (gender) and that which is a fact (sex). Gender is generally what holds us back - for example, there's no biological basis to the idea that e.g. women are not as good at STEM subjects, but there is a gender norm that mainly men will have careers in STEM related fields. Obviously there are other ways sex disadvantages you, so things like not giving you a job because you're pregnant. But being disadvantaged because you are female is unlawful, whereas it's much harder to tackle the implicit and often invisible ways that gender norms disadvantage us because that's about attitudes and values rather than biological facts.
This is where I have always struggled with the current TRA ideology. Lots of them will argue that gender is a construct, that TERFs don't know the difference between sex and gender, that biological sex has no bearing on gender presentation, but if that is true, how does liking 'feminine' things make a man a woman? They'll argue that sex and gender aren't binary one second and then the next say that it's possible to be born in the 'wrong' body. Which is it? They often can't explain what they mean themselves.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Trans people like to pretend being trans has nothing to do with gender stereotypes but it really does boil down to boys=blue girls=pink. Just look at the trans pride flag, tells you all you need to know.

They also conflate sex and gender when ever it suits them. They laugh at us for apparently not knowing the difference, but if sex and gender really are completely different, why do trans people require hormones and surgery to try to emulate the opposite sex? Could it be that actually, gender is just a synonym for sex and ‘gender identity’ is a load of naval gazing nonsense for people who lack a personality?

Reactions: 22
Thank you, I was doubting myself about what it actually meant, even though I’ve always known! I think because of the fact it’s used by some trans people. I noticed Busy Philipps (sorry to mention her again!) who has a NB daughter (sorry, child) saying on insta today that gender is a construct and that kinda threw me. Because she appears to have drunk the trans/nb koolaid so it surprised (and confused) me. She’s also very much in to women’s rights so maybe she’s more GC than she appears and has to seem supportive because of her NB kid (who she does seem to very supportive of and doing her best for her kids).

Reactions: 7
Thank you, I was doubting myself about what it actually meant, even though I’ve always known! I think because of the fact it’s used by some trans people. I noticed Busy Philipps (sorry to mention her again!) who has a NB daughter (sorry, child) saying on insta today that gender is a construct and that kinda threw me. Because she appears to have drunk the trans/nb koolaid so it surprised (and confused) me. She’s also very much in to women’s rights so maybe she’s more GC than she appears and has to seem supportive because of her NB kid (who she does seem to very supportive of and doing her best for her kids).
I think she’s being supporting and keeping her views to herself hoping they will grow out of it unscathed. Which I totally get as a strategy.

Reactions: 11
I have noticed a lot of pro transgender people saying ‘gender is a construct’ and it’s like okay? We been knew, it’s you lot who seem to think believing in magical gender theory can change your sex? I honestly don’t understand it tbh.

Reactions: 14
My daughter was friends with a girl who has, since early childhood, dressed in boy's clothes and played with the boys in school. As they have grown older, the boys ostracised her (which is, of course, mean). Rather than just going through the difficult teen years as a tomboy and waiting to see who you are attracted to, she changed her name, declared she was trans at every opportunity and grew the thinnest skin on earth. My daughter was forever walking on egg shells and every slight was transphobia. She now ignores my daughter.

In the time that she spent in my house, I made an effort to use her new name and refer to her as he but it was painfully obvious that the child had a very chaotic and disordered homelife with no one to talk to. She jumped onto the trans bandwagon when I genuinely believe she's just a lesbian that likes 'male' clothes. So many pre-teens and teenagers are being sucked into this crap.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
I honestly thing in another life I might have been susceptible to it.

I had a very dysfunctional early childhood, was abandoned by both parents as a small baby and then lost an adoptive parent to cancer and ended up living with two more sets of relatives before I found some stability. We were poor, I struggled with my identity, I was always different, an awkward, fat, clever, depressed kid who didn't really fit in.

I was a tomboy as a kid and a teenager because I'd been bullied to the point where I felt I knew I'd never be conventionally pretty or feminine, so why bother trying if it was already a done deal? I wore men's clothes until well into my 20s, had no idea who I was and had the trans thing been a bigger thing then, I can totally see me being sucked in - anything to find a sense of identity and community.

Instead I had a duck load of therapy where I realised how I felt wasn't some fundamental part of me but an understandable reaction to my tit sandwich of a life. Everyone now is so keen to define themselves by their trauma and their identity, when those things aren't an immutable part of us. I wish I could tell these young people, especially young girls, that between being a teenager and in their 30s they can be a hundred different people and nobody will really mind - nobody needs to decide who they are definitively when they're a teenager.

I'm rambling, but I honestly don't know why we're taking our lead on this from people with zero life experience. The world is a colourful and varied place and we can all try on lots of lives without having to marry ourselves to an identity.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
One of my daughters friends is now identifying as non binary and I have to remember to call her by her new name and use 'they' instead of 'she'. Luckily she's not one of those that would jump on you for saying the wrong thing inadvertently.

It has to be said that this particular person comes from a rather dysfunctional family. Her father is an alcoholic and more or less out of the picture and her mother is more preoccupied with her 'boyfriends'. When this girl was younger she used to come and stay with us at weekends to avoid her family and her mother was never the slightest bit concerned where she was.

It struck me that her change of name and identity is an attempt to get away from her heritage. Her parents are from Eastern Europe and she seems to want to distance herself from that part of her life.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
What’s your thoughts on ‘gender is a construct’? It’s something I’ve always agreed with, as in theres no such thing as male/female clothes, ways of behaving etc. But there’s a definite difference in biological sex (obviously lol). So if a boy loves pink and playing with dolls that doesn’t mean he’s a girl. It doesn’t mean anything. So this would be something trans people wouldn’t agree with? Trans people would say gender is not a construct??
It’s interesting, isn’t it, the way TRAs and GC alike say “gender is a social construct” but it seems to have opposite meanings?

To me, it means that gender is nothing but a set of expectations for male and female presentation and behaviour that society imposes on us.

To TRAs it means “gender is meaningless so let’s all call ourselves non-binary and lop our breasts off”.

🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.