Gender Discussion #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it's disgusting that anyone who is conservative or votes that way is called "Tory scum." It seems to be really common in the UK.
Tbh, the phrase has kinda evolved past voting preferences - people are called 'Tories' etc for exhibiting a certain attitude, like being money grabbing, not caring about vulnerable people, etc. I'm definitely guilty of that one especially with influencers, but I don't think people who vote Conservative are all scum. Most of my family always have, I don't agree with it, but what can ya do. Anyway, I have come to terms with the fact that at our next election it's going to be a choice between the Tories or spoiling the ballot if I don't want to vote for a party that endorses self ID bollocks, so those in glass houses etc etc.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
My lecturer today had ‘so and so (he, him, his) in his zoom name 🤦🏻‍♀️ HIS! The other day my colleagues started talking about a new man in our company and I wanted to say, ‘But how did you know he’s a man, he didn’t have his pronouns up!’ They we’re also talking about his massive beard so I guess it was that.

Reactions: 8
This always makes me laugh... It is only a few years old but I wonder would they get away with it today

Tbh, the phrase has kinda evolved past voting preferences - people are called 'Tories' etc for exhibiting a certain attitude, like being money grabbing, not caring about vulnerable people, etc. I'm definitely guilty of that one especially with influencers, but I don't think people who vote Conservative are all scum. Most of my family always have, I don't agree with it, but what can ya do. Anyway, I have come to terms with the fact that at our next election it's going to be a choice between the Tories or spoiling the ballot if I don't want to vote for a party that endorses self ID bollocks, so those in glass houses etc etc.
I used to be pretty liberal but am definitely more conservative now. It's hard though as some Conservatives views I definitely do not agree with but sadly they are the one party who isn't as supportive of the movement we are seeing now

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I think the difficulty is that I am left leaning in financial terms, and always will be tbh, but (not all, a lot of) the left has just gone totally mad with the trans thing. I still would never vote tory but I also think that calling people "tory scum" (even if I might understand the sentiment) is just stupid. The brexit issue was lost because insulting people does not win votes, obviouously. Labour totally fucked up by bascially saying people voting leave were racist or whatever. I am SO angry with labour for not making any kind of positive argument about anything, brexit, their party etc etc. You cannot just say "well this would be worse" NO I want a postive alternative.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
e3568ef06e2693e79cb609196f445125.jpg

This is the problem. We really are heading towards totalitarianism.

Also looking at twitter it's mostly positive on robert winston from what I can see which is good! Wonder if it would be more hatefilled responses if it was a female expert speaking up on question time though?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
My copy of irreversible damage by Abigail shrier is now available at the library. That's my weekend reading!

Reactions: 7
View attachment 811962

This is the problem. We really are heading towards totalitarianism.

Also looking at twitter it's mostly positive on robert winston from what I can see which is good! Wonder if it would be more hatefilled responses if it was a female expert speaking up on question time though?!
I was thinking the same re: Robert Winston. Definitely think if he was a woman there would have been more backlash. I’m so glad he said something about it though.

Never really paid Dave Chapelle much attention but I feel like I should give some of his stuff a watch.

Reactions: 11
Just had some music on and Run The World (Girls) by Beyoncé came on. It was quite a progressive and empowering song at its release but I bet if it was released today people would say it isn't inclusive! It talks about how women are strong enough to birth children 🙂

Reactions: 14
Just had some music on and Run The World (Girls) by Beyoncé came on. It was quite a progressive and empowering song at its release but I bet if it was released today people would say it isn't inclusive! It talks about how women are strong enough to birth children 🙂
She sang if I were a boy though so I think maybe she is trans deep down.

• Haha
I think the difficulty is that I am left leaning in financial terms, and always will be tbh, but (not all, a lot of) the left has just gone totally mad with the trans thing. I still would never vote tory but I also think that calling people "tory scum" (even if I might understand the sentiment) is just stupid. The brexit issue was lost because insulting people does not win votes, obviouously. Labour totally fucked up by bascially saying people voting leave were racist or whatever. I am SO angry with labour for not making any kind of positive argument about anything, brexit, their party etc etc. You cannot just say "well this would be worse" NO I want a postive alternative.
This is veering into super off topic but I find it really interesting in the whole brexit saga that Corbyn himself was not a fan of the EU. There are and were very ‘leftie‘ reasons to leave. I was living in London as an EU citizen at the time (so didn’t vote). But I got why people voted both ways. I think it’s such a shame how much the partisan discourse on Brexit has grown and expanded in the years since.

I find the current tendency to vilify anyone who disagrees with you on anything regally harmful. It’s eroding healthy discourse and progress.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
This is veering into super off topic but I find it really interesting in the whole brexit saga that Corbyn himself was not a fan of the EU. There are and were very ‘leftie‘ reasons to leave. I was living in London as an EU citizen at the time (so didn’t vote). But I got why people voted both ways. I think it’s such a shame how much the partisan discourse on Brexit has grown and expanded in the years since.

I find the current tendency to vilify anyone who disagrees with you on anything regally harmful. It’s eroding healthy discourse and progress.
For my own personal reasons, I have followed Corbyn for most of his political life. He was old school labour and 100% wanted out of the EU. I have no idea why he did what he did and will never forgive him for doing it.

Back on topic. One of my grandchildren become 17 this week and is now eligible for top surgery and I just want to sob my heart out.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
I can't understand how you're not old enough to get a tattoo something that is reasonably harmless, but you can decide to cut off your breasts.

I was talking with my dad about the NHS in general and we were talking about the amount of gate keeping that goes on and that people should be trusted to know their own bodies and be able to access the treatment they feel they need (within reason). He commented that trans treatment it seems is the only field where the patient is trusted to be able to choose their own diagnosis and treatment and has little to no gate keeping.

I can't understand how you're not old enough to get a tattoo something that is reasonably harmless, but you can decide to cut off your breasts.

I was talking with my dad about the NHS in general and we were talking about the amount of gate keeping that goes on and that people should be trusted to know their own bodies and be able to access the treatment they feel they need (within reason). He commented that trans treatment it seems is the only field where the patient is trusted to be able to choose their own diagnosis and treatment and has little to no gate keeping.
That's a great point from your dad. It particularly gets me when I think about how hard it is for some women to get HRT treatment, or to get sterilised- with the latter, doctors doubt your mental health, your age, etc because they worry about you changing your mind. Whereas sterilizing young people is apparently not even worth discussing when it's coming from a trans point of view- it's considered offensive to even bring it up. This disparity just seems crazy to me

For my own personal reasons, I have followed Corbyn for most of his political life. He was old school labour and 100% wanted out of the EU. I have no idea why he did what he did and will never forgive him for doing it.

Back on topic. One of my grandchildren become 17 this week and is now eligible for top surgery and I just want to sob my heart out.
Oh I'm so sorry, as women that were all 17 once, we all know what a vulnerable time that was. It shouldnt be allowed and cannot get my head around the fact that it is. I do hope they don't got through with it ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

I was listening to radio four a couple of days ago, and the topic was heartbreaking about a women who had breast cancer and was discussing her treatment and the need for reconstruction. And then you hear about children undergoing UNNECESSARY mutilation on the NHS and it just doesn’t reconcile, does it?

Reactions: 16
I think what the trans community aren't getting is we aren't saying they are all predatory or whatever, just that without clear sex based rights there will be people who take advantage. They are only seeing this from their side. If they feel unsafe why is it so hard to grasp why women feel unsafe?

I was listening to radio four a couple of days ago, and the topic was heartbreaking about a women who had breast cancer and was discussing her treatment and the need for reconstruction. And then you hear about children undergoing UNNECESSARY mutilation on the NHS and it just doesn’t reconcile, does it?
Last year I had a mastectomy due to breast cancer but because of previous radiotherapy on the breast 10 years ago for breast cancer I couldn't have the reconstruction I wanted . The disfigurement left by this operation has left me mentally and psychologically traumatised. How anyone can go through this procedure unnecessarily absolutely blows my mind .

Last year I had a mastectomy due to breast cancer but because of previous radiotherapy on the breast 10 years ago for breast cancer I couldn't have the reconstruction I wanted . The disfigurement left by this operation has left me

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.