Gender Discussion #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't understand how you're not old enough to get a tattoo something that is reasonably harmless, but you can decide to cut off your breasts.

I was talking with my dad about the NHS in general and we were talking about the amount of gate keeping that goes on and that people should be trusted to know their own bodies and be able to access the treatment they feel they need (within reason). He commented that trans treatment it seems is the only field where the patient is trusted to be able to choose their own diagnosis and treatment and has little to no gate keeping.
I'm currently fighting to get testerone from the NHS
My gynae told me it's a shame I'm not trans as they get hormones thrown at them.

Me. As a woman who NEEDS the hormones to function due to my 'woman's issues' I'm still waiting for my doctors to sort themselves out and GIVE ME MY DAMN HORMONES. 6wks after seeing my gynae who authorised it 😳🙄

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 31
My gynae told me it's a shame I'm not trans as they get hormones thrown at them.

Me. As a woman who NEEDS the hormones to function due to my 'woman's issues' I'm still waiting for my doctors to sort themselves out and GIVE ME MY DAMN HORMONES. 6wks after seeing my gynae who authorised it 😳🙄
that is so ridiculous!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Social media causing another unusual problem/trend in teen girls. Now replace the word "tic" with trans and you have the same issue except no one will talk about it. https://www.wsj.com/articles/teen-g...ld-be-a-factor-11634389201?st=lx09rfp58cg4sud
This does not surprise me one bit. Social contagion again and again and again.

I vaguely remember a Channel 4 documentary from quite a few years ago now. It looked at the social contagion of “narcolepsy” within a group of teenage girls in the US.

I’ve seen one young woman in particular getting quite famous for her Tourette’s and seizures. It juxtaposes pretty well with the “chronically ill” community (also young women, competing to be the sickest and have the most diagnoses/hospital admissions and medical equipment). Also links with Munchausens by Internet. It’s all the same thing, with the same root, just a different condition every time.

I’ve also noticed a disturbing trend for young people to claim disassociative identity disorder on Tiktok.

• Wow
Reactions: 13

I vaguely remember a Channel 4 documentary from quite a few years ago now. It looked at the social contagion of “narcolepsy” within a group of teenage girls in the US.

I’ve seen one young woman in particular getting quite famous for her Tourette’s and seizures. It juxtaposes pretty well with the “chronically ill” community (also young women, competing to be the sickest and have the most diagnoses/hospital admissions and medical equipment). Also links with Munchausens by Internet. It’s all the same thing, with the same root, just a different condition every time.

I’ve also noticed a disturbing trend for young people to claim disassociative identity disorder on Tiktok.
The DID one annoys me more than any other type of illness fakers - it's not 'ooh, let me create quirky characters in my head that I can control completely when I'm making TikToks', it's 'my childhood was so horrifically horrendous, and is something that no child should experience, that this is what has happened.' Creating and living with fake characters might be a symptom of some kind of trauma, but it's not DID.

Stuff like this first one here makes a mockery of people who are really suffering and need help [I don't like linking to cringe vids but in this case it proves a point].

There was a non-binary woman who was faking her tics and was outed by her sister. Every single comment that said how upset the person was with her had multiple comments along the lines of saying 'you're not upset with her, you're upset with them, they're non-binary'.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
There was a non-binary woman who was faking her tics and was outed by her sister. Every single comment that said how upset the person was with her had multiple comments along the lines of saying 'you're not upset with her, you're upset with them, they're non-binary'.
FFS! :LOL:

We must all remember that there is no deed or crime worse than misgendering...

FFS! :LOL:

We must all remember that there is no deed or crime worse than misgendering...
Considering the uproar about misgendering Chris Chan, nothing surprises me.

I saw a post (on Reddit of all places) when Demi came out as NB and at least 95% the comments were saying that 'they're faking it', 'they're doing it for attention', 'they're not really NB' but if anyone said 'she's faking it' they were pounced on. So...publically doubting that someone is trans is fine, but using the wrong pronouns...no.

Reactions: 5

Email your MP

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I came across this yesterday - 'Queer Defined', for all the terms currently being used by the woke kids. Its fascinating reading. A dicktionary, of sorts.
In case you were wandering what demisexual means, here you go. The descriptions used by the contributers are noteworthy 😆
Screenshot_20211017-113454_Google.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
I came across this yesterday - 'Queer Defined', for all the terms currently being used by the woke kids. Its fascinating reading. A dicktionary, of sorts.
In case you were wandering what demisexual means, here you go. The descriptions used by the contributers are noteworthy 😆View attachment 814001

In other words, a girl.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
The DID one annoys me more than any other type of illness fakers - it's not 'ooh, let me create quirky characters in my head that I can control completely when I'm making TikToks', it's 'my childhood was so horrifically horrendous, and is something that no child should experience, that this is what has happened.' Creating and living with fake characters might be a symptom of some kind of trauma, but it's not DID.

Stuff like this first one here makes a mockery of people who are really suffering and need help [I don't like linking to cringe vids but in this case it proves a point].

what in gods name is this?! of all of the types of social media tiktok is by far the worst

Reactions: 2
This new DID trend is basically like writing fan fiction about yourself. I have all of these characters inside me! All different ages, aesthetics, genders and pronouns!

It would be a bit of harmless creativity if they weren’t faking a contentious psychiatric illness and encouraging people to do the same.

Reactions: 10
This new DID trend is basically like writing fan fiction about yourself. I have all of these characters inside me! All different ages, aesthetics, genders and pronouns!

It would be a bit of harmless creativity if they weren’t faking a contentious psychiatric illness and encouraging people to do the same.
With how things are going it is only a matter of time until some kind of paedophile uses this as an excuse to commit some awful crimes against children, imo

Reactions: 6
I've been on holiday for the last month and just finished catching up here (getting up to date with the Jack Monroe threads will be a rather more Herculean task...). A few thoughts:

* At the start of my trip I went to visit a friend who has always been a lot woker than me (she works in performing arts, pronouns everywhere). We talked about some gender stuff and I was really happy to see that her perspectives have shifted; for example, she thinks that if she were a teenager today she'd be set on rejecting womanhood, and she's worried about the social contagion aspect of it. It was interesting for me to see. I think most women are instinctively eager to be kind, then we start to question things...

* This morning (long train journey home!) I watched the video @Ispyabudgetbeanblogger posted about people trying to guess gender identities. It's actually worth watching if you have 15 minutes to spare. Everyone immediately identifies the two trans individuals, but they go to great pains to act like it isn't obvious (except for one woman who says something like "I get a real trans vibe from you" to the 2m tall transwoman - yeah, no tit!). Most of it is utter nonsense, of course.

* One thing that stood out to me in the video was self-proclaimed NB/genderqueer people saying they used their clothes to display gender, or that they might wake up and feel like wearing something more masculine/feminine, depending on the day. Again...no tit? I've been on a long-distance hike for the last month, I've worn sports bras, tshirts, hiking pants and hiking boots every day. No makeup, no jewellery. But sometimes in the evenings I put on a bikini because I was somewhere with a pool - did I change gender? Did I interrupt everyone to announce that as long as I had my bikini on, I was a she/her, but my hiking pants made me a he/they? Did I duck! I can't get over the narcissism that comes from assuming that you are so special and magical, your understanding of gender identity is more sophisticated than the rest of us mere plebs.

* Incidentally, one area where my SEX (not gender) affected my ability to enjoy my holiday: I take the pill, which can be bought over the counter here. But I walked through a very conservative area where no pharmacists would sell it to me. At first I found it kind of funny, but after going into six different pharmacies and being made to feel like the biggest slut on the planet, I got angry and called a doctor friend of mine to ask her to write me a prescription. Not a huge problem for me personally - I just kept walking until I left that region - but I do not understand how a country with a supposedly progressive government can totally ignore that the women of some areas cannot buy birth control like the rest of us, and have to jump through extra hoops. Infuriating.

Finally, my condolences to the family and friends of David Amess. He was one of the few voices in Westminster who supported my region's independence movement, and our politicians and media have been paying tribute to him this week. Politics is inherently nuanced; we can agree on some issues and not on others, and dismissing other groups as "scum", "the enemy" etc etc is both futile and dangerous.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
With how things are going it is only a matter of time until some kind of paedophile uses this as an excuse to commit some awful crimes against children, imo

Luckily transage is still considered 'not valid', the same way that being transracial is considered 'not valid'

• Angry
In case you were wandering what demisexual means, here you go. The descriptions used by the contributers are noteworthy 😆View attachment 814001

Other words - reinventing the deeply misogynistic “not like other girls” trope

There was a doc on the BBC (not sure if it's still on there) about the online illness community. They were basically saying it's really toxic and it sucks you in under the guise of support and normalisation of disabilities and illnesses. But in reality there are a lot of fakers on it and people are trying to one up each other. I think some were making themselves ill for likes.

It was also all girls.

Young women sometime flock together and will do very strange things to be part of a tribe. It probably does have some evolutionary benefit I'm not sure what though.
When I was young it was self harm and eating disorders.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Young women sometime flock together and will do very strange things to be part of a tribe. It probably does have some evolutionary benefit I'm not sure what though.
I’m not sure about evolutionary benefit, but it is bizarre that it’s always young women. I wish I could remember where I read it, but someone drew a parallel between young women who harm themselves (be it EDs, Internet munchies, etc) with the Victorian phenomenon of fainting and swooning.

It seems to centre around the attention and sympathy one gets when they’re sick, with the side bonus of being considered too fragile and delicate to grow up and be functioning adults.

So I guess it’s always been true that young women struggle with the burden of being female and what’s expected of them in adulthood, and they want to opt out. The only thing that’s changed is the types of illness their fake/induce in themselves.

I’m not sure about evolutionary benefit, but it is bizarre that it’s always young women. I wish I could remember where I read it, but someone drew a parallel between young women who harm themselves (be it EDs, Internet munchies, etc) with the Victorian phenomenon of fainting and swooning.

It seems to centre around the attention and sympathy one gets when they’re sick, with the side bonus of being considered too fragile and delicate to grow up and be functioning adults.

So I guess it’s always been true that young women struggle with the burden of being female and what’s expected of them in adulthood, and they want to opt out. The only thing that’s changed is the types of illness their fake/induce in themselves.
There's a very interesting phenomenon of mass hysteria (not a word I like, but that's what it's called...), which overwhelmingly affects women and girls: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48850490

There was a doc on the BBC (not sure if it's still on there) about the online illness community. They were basically saying it's really toxic and it sucks you in under the guise of support and normalisation of disabilities and illnesses. But in reality there are a lot of fakers on it and people are trying to one up each other. I think some were making themselves ill for likes.

It was also all girls.

I've got a theory that self harm comes from the attention you get when you hurt yourself as a kid. That's why its mostly girls. Because when a little girl hurts herself she gets cuddles and attention and soothing, whereas boys get more of a be brave reaction. So it's inbuilt in girls that if you want love and attention you can get it through being hurt.

This is only my musing as a mother of a boy and a girl who used to self harm as a young adult.

Although I will also add that i only started self harming when a friend did.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.